• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Steelers Extend Mike Tomlin Through 2021

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh would never miss the playoffs if he had Roethlisberger. Hell, he made it last season with a freaking wishbone QB.

Last season, the Steelers failed to make the playoffs after a 7-2-1 start. That is reflective of incompetent coaching. Plain and simple.

Tomlin is not a good coach. His leadership sucks, and despite establishing himself in the league as a secondary coach, the Steelers' pass coverages sucks year after year.

The guy offers nothing and has been carried by Roethlisberger during his entire tenure.
you didnt answer my question. And really thats the argument, harbaugh would win with ben? come on man.....

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"This comes to the chagrin of some Steelers fans and observers who have repeatedly voiced their frustrations over Tomlin's coaching style and the team's inability to supplant the New England Patriots as the top team in the AFC. But I think the Pittsburgh brass acted wisely, considering Tomlin boasts the second-highest winning percentage among active coaches at .654 -- a figure that just happens to be the best in franchise history. While some like to call Tomlin's Steelers underachievers, the coach ranks second among active coaches in playoff berths, with eight in his dozen seasons at the helm. And of course, his team hoisted the Lombardi Trophy in his second year on the job, reaching the Super Bowl again two seasons later. That's quite an impressive resume for a so-called "rah-rah coach" with a reputation for running a player-friendly operation

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winning that Super Bowl gave him the benefit of the doubt...

Diamondeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you didnt answer my question. And really thats the argument, harbaugh would win with ben? come on man.....

Yes, I think Harbaugh is a better coach than Tomlin, as there's no fucking way Tomlin wins a Superbowl with Joe Flacco.

Tomlin might be the most overrated coach of the modern era.

What are his strengths? Does he have any? None seem overly apparent to me.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I think Harbaugh is a better coach than Tomlin, as there's no fucking way Tomlin wins a Superbowl with Joe Flacco.

just based on your responses and hate on him it doesnt matter what i say. If harbaugh hada qb. etc etci mean unles its supebowl every 3 years they suck

wings-pens2166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
can't say I'm at all surprised by this...fucking hate it, but not surprised by it either.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love...idk that being universal. I've lost something for Mike as a HC after '16 season, and really felt they would not extend him until after this season pending the results, (his current deal ran thru NEXT season).

But as a HC football coach in the NFL, once you look beyond Belichick, whether you love him or hate, there are not many active guys out there have more Ws than Tomlin. Andy Reid notably. Never had a losing season. A lot of people said he won his only SB with Cowher's players...very true. Tomlin took over a good roster, and he did what you would expect a decent HC to do...he won games.

Since '10...the talent has not been nearly as good and while the rebuild was full bore, he's had an 11 win, a 12 win, and a 13 win season...what has been his failing of late is playoff success, namely getting over the Belichick hurdle.

You still might not understand, and I get that, but I'm not on board with this extension...not right now.

Not nearly as good as what?
Most seasons that team has been loaded with talent.

I think he's happy he signed with the Rooney's? Most any other club and he'd likely would've been gone.

All good this signing had NE and the majority of NFL team fans saying :yes:

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Belichick hurdle?

Tomlin has lost to Belichick only once in the post season. His other post season losses include games where his defense was destroyed by offenses that had Tim Tebow and Blake Bortles at QB.

Tomlin established himself in the league as a secondary coach, yet the secondary play has been a joke since Troy Polamalu and Ike Taylor (both drafted and developed under Bill Cowher) declined and eventually retired.

Tomlin is supposedly this great leader, yet his teams constantly underachieve and play down to the competition.

He's never had a losing season? So fucking what? A coach better not have a losing season with the players he has had.

I was holding out hope that after another disappointing season, which IS going to happen, this clown would be gone and the Steelers would have a real shot of getting back to the Superbowl before Roethlisberger retires, but we can forget about that.

At least Rooney has maintained his precious stability and can continue to boast about "having only three coaches since the 1960s" for three more years

How many times has a Tomlin coached team beaten a Belichick/Brady team? Yes hurdle.

'20...if you know the Steelers, and it sounds like you follow the team regardless of what they did this season, Tomlin was going to coach out his last yr...nobody really ever gets terminated from a contract.

Troy/Ike...nada...that was Lebeau's DEF, Tomlin has nothing to do with it. Along with many of Cowher's key DEF players, both were aging players and imo played at least one too many seasons. Don't give me Tomlin caused the decline BS.

No losing seasons...I agree, but it's a fact. Plenty other top QBs have suffered thru losing seasons. You can bet it means something to Art II.

Tomlin was a pretty good CEO type HC, and basically did what he should've done with the roster that he inherited. Since Lebeau was not renewed, Tomlin wanted input on the DEF, Butler was agreeable to it thus hired as DC. He's been exposed since then to me as a HC that really is not an X&O guy, but he wants that role.

Because of that I don't think PIT is going to win another SB under Tomlin either. Ideally I would want another HC in there now, but they want Ben to go out with this staff. IMO that's what this extension was all about.

So you don't need to get puffed up with me about Tomlin.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not nearly as good as what?
Most seasons that team has been loaded with talent.

I think he's happy he signed with the Rooney's? Most any other club and he'd likely would've been gone.

All good this signing had NE and the majority of NFL team fans saying :yes:

Clearly you don't know the roster that well, but I shouldn't expect you to. Yep I can imagine there were a few toasts made in NE for sure...I can't say that for the AFCN. :D

Diamondeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just based on your responses and hate on him it doesnt matter what i say. If harbaugh hada qb. etc etci mean unles its supebowl every 3 years they suck

I would not call it hate.

I'd call it more a general frustration with the same shit happening year after year and nothing changing.

The extension tells me that Rooney is content with what he's seen, which is unfortunate, as I always thought the Steelers had higher standards, but whatever.

Diamondeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Troy/Ike...nada...that was Lebeau's DEF, Tomlin has nothing to do with it. Along with many of Cowher's key DEF players, both were aging players and imo played at least one too many seasons. Don't give me Tomlin caused the decline BS.

I never said he caused the decline, but implied that he inherited those guys from Cowher and has been utterly incapable of rebuilding the secondary going on six or seven years now.

Given Tomlin established himself in the league as a DB coach, what does he have to offer.

He seems to be just competent enough to not think not fuck things up too badly, but him being the coach sure as hell doesn't give the Steelers any advantages.

We've known that he's useless from a tactical standpoint for years, and if last season did not prompt most people to question him from a leadership perspective, nothing will.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure any of them are significantly ahead of him. But I would put Peyton ahead of him. Carroll not so much. PC hasn't even won 60% of his games. Ried = Tomlin.
and i cant argue that, but thats my point, were talking about the top coaches in the NFL there.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many times has a Tomlin coached team beaten a Belichick/Brady team? Yes hurdle.

'20...if you know the Steelers, and it sounds like you follow the team regardless of what they did this season, Tomlin was going to coach out his last yr...nobody really ever gets terminated from a contract.

No losing seasons...I agree, but it's a fact. Plenty other top QBs have suffered thru losing seasons. You can bet it means something to Art II.

Tomlin was a pretty good CEO type HC, and basically did what he should've done with the roster that he inherited. Since Lebeau was not renewed, Tomlin wanted input on the DEF, Butler was agreeable to it thus hired as DC. He's been exposed since then to me as a HC that really is not an X&O guy, but he wants that role.

Because of that I don't think PIT is going to win another SB under Tomlin either. Ideally I would want another HC in there now, but they want Ben to go out with this staff. IMO that's what this extension was all about.

So you don't need to get puffed up with me about Tomlin.
puffed-chest.jpg

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

he does rally his team, for whatever reason, like billick, he was a D guy, who has become an O guy. Most of the strength are on the offensive side of the ball, not where he was brough in for. But that has been seen with other coaches before.

and yes, ANY coach, ANY coach wins when flacco has that 4 game run, that was flacco, not harbaugh. If that was harbaugh, it would have been replicated sometime over his 10 year career

I would not call it hate.

I'd call it more a general frustration with the same shit happening year after year and nothing changing.

The extension tells me that Rooney is content with what he's seen, which is unfortunate, as I always thought the Steelers had higher standards, but whatever.

again, hes a top 10 coach, easy top 1on

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a bad decision by the Steelers. They should have fired Tomlin & replaced him with Hue Jackson.

BigBen 3 years after he retires.

downloadfsdsdf.jpg :heh:

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clearly you don't know the roster that well, but I shouldn't expect you to. Yep I can imagine there were a few toasts made in NE for sure...I can't say that for the AFCN. :D
You didn't answer. As good as what?
It's not like I'm the only one on here saying the majority if teams had an abundance of talent.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You didn't answer. As good as what?
It's not like I'm the only one on here saying the majority if teams had an abundance of talent.
I'd have to go back to see what you referring to and I'm not overly interested in doing that at this point. Yes, every team has talent but only a handful have SB caliber talent.

The Steelers have literally sucked on the edge since the Harrison/Woodley duo, both CB spots were weak until they got Haden. Do you realize William Gay was the CB1 on this team for at least 3 seasons?