• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL Star Wars: Best Six?

Best six Star Wars movies?

• A New Hope

• The Empire Strikes Back

• Return of the Jedi

• Phantom Menace

• Attack of the Clones

• Revenge of the Sith

• Solo

• Rogue One

• Force Awakens

• Last Jedi

Results are only viewable after voting.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  1. Return of the Jedi
  2. A New Hope
  3. The Empire Strikes Back
  4. Revenge of the Sith
  5. Rogue One
  6. The Force Awakens
  7. The Phantom Menace
  8. Solo
  9. Attack of the Clones
  10. The Last Jedi
Many folks dock Return of the Jedi because of Ewoks (and I get it), but the movie is loaded with epic showdowns - Rancor, Jabba, Endor Speeder chases, legion of stormtroopers against a small band of rebels, Lando versus Death Star II, Luke v Vader, Luke v Emperor. And it ends with Vader turning on the Emperor and the Death Star II exploding.

Most people call Empire #1, but it really didn't have much action in it to get excited about - the Hoth battle early and Luke v Vader at the end were really the only grand action. The entire middle of the movie on Dagobah and Cloud City was enveloped in slow-moving character conflicts.

IMO Return of the Jedi was just great for all the reasons you say but it dropped pretty quickly when the Ewoks showed up.

Still imo in the top 3 or 4...

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it was a dumb idea to make a movie with someone other than Harrison Ford playing Han Solo. That might have turned a few people off as well. Once I got past that I actually enjoyed Solo quite a bit more than TFA or TLJ.

Solo was ok. I really liked the parts of the The Last Jedi that was about the Jedi's. The rest was terrible.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Rogue One is the best SW made to date followed by ESB.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a person who is extremely anti- this entire new age Star Wars stuff... Solo is a solid film. It got carry over hate from The Last Jedi.
I'm actually surprised by how many people no this board have seen the movie considering the movie bombed.

Harrison Ford is Solo. That issue is probably even bigger than the Last Jedi hate.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Rogue One is the best SW made to date followed by ESB.
Is it really that good? I tried watching once but got bored in the first 10 minutes. It was a late night, so maybe mindset played a factor.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it really that good? I tried watching once but got bored in the first 10 minutes. It was a late night, so maybe mindset played a factor.
If there was a thread titled 'First half of the movie sucks, second half of the movie is great' then this would be one of the first movies I'd list.

As a side note, I only voted for 5 movies. Force Awakens is my #6 but I don't think it deserves credit.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there was a thread titled 'First half of the movie sucks, second half of the movie is great' then this would be one of the first movies I'd list.

As a side note, I only voted for 5 movies. Force Awakens is my #6 but I don't think it deserves credit.
The Force Awakens is a prime example of why movie critics should be forced to watch every movie twice before reviewing.

Everyone left the theater after The Force Awakens like the leave Taco Bell after a meal. Happy and satisfied. Then when you get home and settles, you realize it wasn’t worth it and not nearly as good as you thought.

It was an entire remake. Typical Disney cash grab just like the ‘live action’ garbage.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like it.

Interesting new characters, best use of a droid in any SW and the ending is absolutely perfect.

I had more fun watching Rogue then I did any of the SW movies after ROTJ.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like it.

Interesting new characters, best use of a droid in any SW and the ending is absolutely perfect.

I had more fun watching Rogue then I did any of the SW movies after ROTJ.

Absolutely. I didn't like the ending even though it made sense.

I didn't want the characters to die...

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely. I didn't like the ending even though it made sense.

I didn't want the characters to die...
At the time I didn't really care but in hindsight I wish they kept a couple of them around so they could appear in other stuff later in the timeline. One of the guys is getting his own show on Disney but now they're limited to it all taking place before Rogue One and the only other character they can use will probably be the droid. I kind of wish the chick was left alive so they could do more with her. She can't appear on the other guys show because they met in Rogue One and then died at the end of it.

A lot of people said they had to die because they weren't in the original trilogy but I disagree. The rebellion was more than a hand full of people. Just because they didn't interact on screen with any of the main cast of the OT doesn't mean they couldn't have been part of the rebellion. We didn't see Mon Mothma or Admiral Ackbar until ROTJ. Did they just sign up while Han was frozen in carbonite?

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the hate for TLJ from fans who have been there from the jump but (incoming: possible controversial opinion) I still think it is a lot better than TFA because it is an original story and not a regurgitation of A New Hope.

I found both to be very disappointing but I'm still cautiously optimistic for Episode 9. As far as plot goes, TFA was almost beat for beat the same as A New Hope, which of course made it not very interesting. But at least it introduced us to some new characters and had a few mystery boxes that could lead to something interesting. I didn't love any of the new characters but I liked pretty much all of them on both sides (except the soccer ball droid and alien bartender).

Then TLJ gets written by a different guy who apparently had a completely different vision. He was more interested in overusing obnoxious, lame humor that was often poorly timed and making up new Force powers as he went along to serve the mediocre plot. The villains might still have the numbers and the much larger fleet but they were made to look completely incompetent throughout pretty much the entire movie.

I know a lot of people hate on the new trilogy because of how they treat the old characters which I can understand but that personally doesn't bother me much. Because they are exactly that now, OLD characters. I was hoping they'd introduce interesting new ones while finding ways to keep the old ones at least somewhat involved but 2 movies in and I'm really not interested in any of the new ones at all.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than Rey (and not all the time), they haven't been able to introduce any good new characters. TFA, while probably not great on itself, had a lot of promise and potential. TLJ destroyed most of that (Rey and to a lesser extent, Kilo, can still be a pretty good characters).

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just rewatched FORCE AWAKENS. Solo is definitely better. Must edit my list

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tenor.gif

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I found both to be very disappointing but I'm still cautiously optimistic for Episode 9. As far as plot goes, TFA was almost beat for beat the same as A New Hope, which of course made it not very interesting. But at least it introduced us to some new characters and had a few mystery boxes that could lead to something interesting. I didn't love any of the new characters but I liked pretty much all of them on both sides (except the soccer ball droid and alien bartender).

Then TLJ gets written by a different guy who apparently had a completely different vision. He was more interested in overusing obnoxious, lame humor that was often poorly timed and making up new Force powers as he went along to serve the mediocre plot. The villains might still have the numbers and the much larger fleet but they were made to look completely incompetent throughout pretty much the entire movie.

I know a lot of people hate on the new trilogy because of how they treat the old characters which I can understand but that personally doesn't bother me much. Because they are exactly that now, OLD characters. I was hoping they'd introduce interesting new ones while finding ways to keep the old ones at least somewhat involved but 2 movies in and I'm really not interested in any of the new ones at all.
Agree with this. When a movie series stretched nearly 3/4 generations and it is interconnected, you have to accept that the characters you love will not be the star of the show that far down the line. I will agree, the lack of great characters is a sign of mediocre writing(screwed when D and D take over). Rey is alright, and they had a good premise with the Stormtrooper stuff, but are failing to fully capitalize on it.

I didn’t hate TLJ, but for what it did to the original cast with very little payoff, I get it. But the mood/tone of TLJ’s ending is similar to the second film of both other trilogies.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Force Awakens is a prime example of why movie critics should be forced to watch every movie twice before reviewing.

Everyone left the theater after The Force Awakens like the leave Taco Bell after a meal. Happy and satisfied. Then when you get home and settles, you realize it wasn’t worth it and not nearly as good as you thought.

It was an entire remake. Typical Disney cash grab just like the ‘live action’ garbage.

I actually disagree here a little bit. I wouldn't say "entire". I thought TFA is different enough and sets up well for about 2/3rds of the movie. But then once it gets to the Starkiller Base it ventures into just be a recreation of ANH. They really should have come up with literally anything else other than the Starkiller base

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the time I didn't really care but in hindsight I wish they kept a couple of them around so they could appear in other stuff later in the timeline. One of the guys is getting his own show on Disney but now they're limited to it all taking place before Rogue One and the only other character they can use will probably be the droid. I kind of wish the chick was left alive so they could do more with her. She can't appear on the other guys show because they met in Rogue One and then died at the end of it.

A lot of people said they had to die because they weren't in the original trilogy but I disagree. The rebellion was more than a hand full of people. Just because they didn't interact on screen with any of the main cast of the OT doesn't mean they couldn't have been part of the rebellion. We didn't see Mon Mothma or Admiral Ackbar until ROTJ. Did they just sign up while Han was frozen in carbonite?

I agree with that even though the ending is completely plausible.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The force awakens was like an experiment to see what would happen if you had a director with A.D.D and forced him to shoot a movie without his Ritalin.