• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Stafford extension

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What it all boils down to is he is signed for 5 years, ~75M and ~43M guaranteed.

When his contract is up he will be 29 and able to cash in again. Brandon Weeden is 29 right now.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What it all boils down to is he is signed for 5 years, ~75M and ~43M guaranteed.

When his contract is up he will be 29 and able to cash in again. Brandon Weeden is 29 right now.

Didn't he just redo his contract a few years ago or was he still on his rookie deal?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Didn't he just redo his contract a few years ago or was he still on his rookie deal?

He had redone it, but the restructure was to allow them to sign Megatron last year. His cap number for next year was going to be almost 20M, so they had to do something.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He re-did it to open up cap space, not a full-blown new deal.

He had redone it, but the restructure was to allow them to sign Megatron last year. His cap number for next year was going to be almost 20M, so they had to do something.

Ok I thought I remembered him doing something. That's alot of money tied up at QB & WR when does the new TV deal supposed to kick in? Because Suh contract is coming up

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok I thought I remembered him doing something. That's alot of money tied up at QB & WR when does the new TV deal supposed to kick in? Because Suh contract is coming up

They have enough now with all this restructuring to resign Suh. Been talking about it on local radio all day. Somehow the Lions are brilliant with cap management. It's weird.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
They have enough now with all this restructuring to resign Suh. Been talking about it on local radio all day. Somehow the Lions are brilliant with cap management. It's weird.

With short term cap management, but what about long term. The Niners were praised for cap management in the mid-90s and it led to hell for about 8 years. We got a Super Bowl out of it and some playoff appearances.

It would suck for Detroit if they went into cap hell through constant restructuring without ever seeing playoff success.

BloodType49

FT Bragg NC, aka the center of the universe.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,210.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have alot of money tied up in their big 3, If they had to let one walk for cap reasons Im pretty sure it would be Suh, If Suh somehow came to the Niners our line would be downright nasty!

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
If Matt Stafford has proven he's worth 15 million a season, that just shows how hard it is to find a good QB.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With short term cap management, but what about long term. The Niners were praised for cap management in the mid-90s and it led to hell for about 8 years. We got a Super Bowl out of it and some playoff appearances.

It would suck for Detroit if they went into cap hell through constant restructuring without ever seeing playoff success.

I would call it borrowing against the future, LOL:lol:

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Matt Stafford has proven he's worth 15 million a season, that just shows how hard it is to find a good QB.

I agree and think he is one of the very best. Wish we had him in Miami.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The three guys they'll be most invested in are Stafford, Calvin and Suh. It's the Lions. What is the worst that happens, we go 0-16 again a few years after they retire?

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think we are still paying like half of the team from the mid-nineties based on all the restructures.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I agree and think he is one of the very best. Wish we had him in Miami.

He's got a LONG way t' go before he even sniffs "one of the best" after that year he had with the best WR in football.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know how to embed twitter links; never used twitter in my life. I'm still not 100% sure what it does.

Here's the problem with that stat: the year they went 10-6 they beat something like 8 teams who finished 8-8. That year fans of other teams loved saying how the Lions didn't beat anyone with a winning record, but they beat 8 teams they would have finished with one had they beaten the Lions. Take that for what it is worth.

And he did have the best WR in football last year, but that WR was also tripled covered all year. We had zero run game after losing Best and Pettigrew was so bad defenses ripped the fucking ball out his hands regularly after Stafford completed passes to him. The whole offense was fucked last year with that, Titus etc...we're hoping Reggie Bush takes some pressure off Calvin this season.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Here's the problem with that stat: the year they went 10-6 they beat something like 8 teams who finished 8-8. That year fans of other teams loved saying how the Lions didn't beat anyone with a winning record, but they beat 8 teams they would have finished with one had they beaten the Lions. Take that for what it is worth.

And he did have the best WR in football last year, but that WR was also tripled covered all year. We had zero run game after losing Best and Pettigrew was so bad defenses ripped the fucking ball out his hands regularly after Stafford completed passes to him. The whole offense was fucked last year with that, Titus etc...we're hoping Reggie Bush takes some pressure off Calvin this season.

I get all that. I'm not a Stafford hater. That said, Stafford's play was pretty sucktastic in 2012, and he has a lot to prove.

Last edited by a moderator: