• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Burrow Early Contract?

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would the Bengals be wise to lock Burrow up long term right now?

Play out his rookie contract (minus 5th year which would probably be void due to 1st year of his extension) and lock him up for 10 years right now?

10 years / $350 million? Do you think he would take that amount? Average $35 million a year. That contract would carry him until his age 37 season.

This way he is still under a rookie contract for the next two years so we can keep our cheap window open for a few years, but also get him signed now before cap and everything starts exploding.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the best interest of my home state I think it would be wise to trade Burrow for Mayfield.

#unsober-thinking

I'm kinda jealous that Cincy has a true franchise QB. He's gonna be fun to watch for a long time. Except for when he plays my team of course.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Play out his rookie contract (minus 5th year which would probably be void due to 1st year of his extension) and lock him up for 10 years right now?

10 years / $350 million? Do you think he would take that amount? Average $35 million a year. That contract would carry him until his age 37 season.

This way he is still under a rookie contract for the next two years so we can keep our cheap window open for a few years, but also get him signed now before cap and everything starts exploding.

If they can get something done now do it. Because if he guides the Bengals back to the post season, which I expect, wouldn't that just drive up his price?

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the best interest of my home state I think it would be wise to trade Burrow for Mayfield.

#unsober-thinking

I'm kinda jealous that Cincy has a true franchise QB. He's gonna be fun to watch for a long time. Except for when he plays my team of course.
Not sure why you are jealous, we can't seem to figure out how to beat Cleveland. Mayfield is like 6-1 against Cincinnati.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I think you're looking at 45-50 million per year unless he's giving the Bengals a hometown discount

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look to extend him around year 4. He's going into his 3rd year. If he has another phenomenal year, there isn't a reason why they can't look to extend him going into year 4.

The following year(s) would be for Chase/Higgins - and they will need to look to replace Boyd at that point, and likely Mixon via draft.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you're looking at 45-50 million per year unless he's giving the Bengals a hometown discount
Yikes. I guess you pay that for a franchise QB, but damn that changes the landscape around him from that point on as you have a harder time putting top end guys around him, but rather a team full of average.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Josh Allen...for reference.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yikes. I guess you pay that for a franchise QB, but damn that changes the landscape around him from that point on as you have a harder time putting top end guys around him, but rather a team full of average.

I would say right now the going rate for a quality starting QB (Derrek Carr for example) is 35-40 million per year. The elite QBs start in the 40s. Given Burrow's age and accomplishments I think he's easily at 45 million per year by the time he and the Bengals can negotiate after the season.

I think the salary cap is supposed to go up significantly soon.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I was thinking Allen, Watson and Prescott as references. By the time Burrow and Herbert are ready to sign it's mid to high 40's, possibly even 50 million per year

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was mistakenly thinking that Allen was around $35 million. It is what it is I guess.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As mentioned above, it's all a moot point until after his third season. And it's a bit unknown given the big leaps that are expected with the salary cap. I can say this though - No agent is going to have his player sign a 10-year deal. The issue is that after 4 seasons the contract is no longer producing top dollar for the position. Burrow will likely look to sign a mega deal for 4 or 5 seasons and then hope to sign another mega deal in his early 30s.

I read an interesting idea, but don't remember where I read it - Basically, the idea was that you pay a franchise qb like Burrow a flat percent rate of the salary cap. So, as the cap increases, so does their salary, but it's always easy to plan around the exact percent you have to fill out the rest of the roster. It will be interesting to see if a team ever makes this kind of deal.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As mentioned above, it's all a moot point until after his third season. And it's a bit unknown given the big leaps that are expected with the salary cap. I can say this though - No agent is going to have his player sign a 10-year deal. The issue is that after 4 seasons the contract is no longer producing top dollar for the position. Burrow will likely look to sign a mega deal for 4 or 5 seasons and then hope to sign another mega deal in his early 30s.

I read an interesting idea, but don't remember where I read it - Basically, the idea was that you pay a franchise qb like Burrow a flat percent rate of the salary cap. So, as the cap increases, so does their salary, but it's always easy to plan around the exact percent you have to fill out the rest of the roster. It will be interesting to see if a team ever makes this kind of deal.
Sounds almost like an ownership share to a degree.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I wouldn't say a 10 year deal is impossible as Mahomes signed one just a couple off-seasons ago but they would have to make Burrow the highest paid player in football by a considerable margin for it to even be a possibility. Burrow would have to be all in on the organization to consider it too. The player loses out on a bigger potential deal down the road but they also get security in case of injury or their career takes a downturn (Wentz, Goff). If Burrow is offered a half billion dollars over 10 years he has to at least consider it.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chances Mohomes sees any of those final 3-4 years before the contract is re-negotiated = 0.0%.

This is one of the issues with having back end loaded contracts and/or long contracts - eventually, if you want to keep the person, you have to chunk out a big portion of up-front money in that year in a re-negotiation and that will screw up the cap for that year, and the next few, because the team wasn't prepared for the player to not see the length of that contract.

This is where ego takes over for agents and players. All they care about is the amount on the piece of paper - and don't care about the actual money up front. Front load the contract - if the player exceeds the contract, the team can re-negotiate, or the player can request for this to be done, and if not - there is little contractually that prevents them from coming to a mutual agreement to separate via trade or release since the team won't be eating a big chunk of money. The player can then sign for what they feel is their worth with whoever is willing to pay them. It also allows the team to be able to manage the cap on a year over year basis based on expectations of what they will be paying any given player. Sure, bumps are going to occur, but teams that can do this will be able to cross those bridges as they come rather than continuing to try and kick cans down the road (Steelers, Saints, etc...).

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Burrow gets whatever he wants. Let's watch another year and see if 2022 in fact actually happened

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't fathom the dark side of the NFL allowing us to have a SuperBowl winning dynasty here in Cincinnati.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't fathom the dark side of the NFL allowing us to have a SuperBowl winning dynasty here in Cincinnati.
I couldn't imagine that with New England either until they got Brady and the NFL wanted to adopt him as the face of the league. Burrow could be in that mold. So maybe a call or two might start going our way during important games. The league started adopting him as t hat coming out of LSU. However, it took a year like this from him and Chase for that to really solidify I think.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I couldn't imagine that with New England either until they got Brady and the NFL wanted to adopt him as the face of the league. Burrow could be in that mold. So maybe a call or two might start going our way during important games. The league started adopting him as t hat coming out of LSU. However, it took a year like this from him and Chase for that to really solidify I think.
You mean - it took a year in which he didn't have a major injury to derail his season...lol