• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Training

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very important. He will not be pitching in late August so who will be if we are in a pennant race? I doubt see Paxton itching then either. I just don't see M's sense of urgency for late in the season. Maybe they don't expect to be playing for anything?

I think it's important to keep in mind that we still have a few weeks of Spring Training left. It's not unheard of for this team to still be making moves to improve the roster right up until the Opener. For all we know now, there could be guys on our own Spring Training roster who will make a name for themselves and either make the big club outright or give the M's another arm down in Tacoma to help make whatever plans they have for Paxton and Walker work better. Did anybody even know who Roenis Elias was before our starting rotation took several hits during Spring Training last year? I know I didn't. There's almost always at least one guy who comes out of nowhere to make the team during the spring. Who is to say that that person/those people isn't/aren't already in camp? It also wouldn't surprise me in the least if we scooped up one or more players who are good enough to be major league pitchers, but just got caught in a numbers game with another team and got cut in that final week. Then there are in-season/trade deadline moves that the team can make to improve the rotation or reinforce it if they need to.

Bottom line... it's March 14th. We shouldn't even be talking about August right now. We don't even know who is going to be on the 25-man come April 6th yet. I know it's fun for people to play the "How will Zduriencik and co. screw this up if they haven't already?" game, but there is absolutely no point in stressing out over a stretch run that is 5-6 months away right now. It's hard to enjoy something when you're always waiting for the other shoe to drop and trying to figure out what kind of shoe it'll be when it does.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably all heard, but Taylor out 4-6 weeks with broken wrist. Tough blow to him. This wasn't how I wanted the SS spot to be decided.

I don't necessarily think that it's Miller's job outright just yet. I imagine they'll give a couple of the kids in camp an opportunity to compete for the job now that Taylor is out of the mix.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
really rough about taylor. probably the soonest he'd be able to come back is mid may.

miller's going to make a lot of errors in that time.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Silver lining I guess is that at least it was at a position of depth. I would think also that it means WFB makes the team out of camp. I have no problem with Willie unlike a lot of fans. Never understood the hate for him. He plays exactly like who he is. Not a star, just a guy who can play average ball when needed at multiple positions, hit a little when needed, and is one of the better clutch base stealers late in games.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottom line... it's March 14th. We shouldn't even be talking about August right now. We don't even know who is going to be on the 25-man come April 6th yet. I know it's fun for people to play the "How will Zduriencik and co. screw this up if they haven't already?" game, but there is absolutely no point in stressing out over a stretch run that is 5-6 months away right now. It's hard to enjoy something when you're always waiting for the other shoe to drop and trying to figure out what kind of shoe it'll be when it does.

I would hate to have you as my retirement adviser. Just wait until you need something and then overpay to get it. That is Jack's way so you are probably right.

You were right that Elias came out of nowhere, but what did he contribute late in the season? Nothing. That is what guys out of nowhere do. Do you really believe Pries or Correia will be the man in August/September? Why even paint yourself into that corner? You are right that there are plenty of opportunities to get that guy from here to the end of the season, but there was also plenty of time from the end of last season until now. And deadline deals are fun, but can also be costly to a desperate team...or Jack.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would hate to have you as my retirement adviser. Just wait until you need something and then overpay to get it. That is Jack's way so you are probably right.

You were right that Elias came out of nowhere, but what did he contribute late in the season? Nothing. That is what guys out of nowhere do. Do you really believe Pries or Correia will be the man in August/September? Why even paint yourself into that corner? You are right that there are plenty of opportunities to get that guy from here to the end of the season, but there was also plenty of time from the end of last season until now. And deadline deals are fun, but can also be costly to a desperate team...or Jack.
yeah, saying the team shouldn't be thinking about august and beyond right now is easily the stupidest thing i've seen on the m's board here on the hoop. and that's saying something.

just wow

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wow indeed. :doh:

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got no issues with WFB other then he is 38 coming off micro fracture surgery. His value is his ability to play multiple positions and possibly pinch run late in games. I'm concerned this injury may hurt his value. Personally I would have preferred Taylor and miller on the team with WFB being the odd man out but oh well. If the injury isn't an issue then I think it will be ok.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya, I have no idea what the immediate future brings for WFB. My comments were based solely based on his past play. Never understood the hate.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hultzen sent to minor league camp. Makes sense.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No surprises yet on the cuts.

CAJ1G2qUQAAuprs.jpg

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hultzen sent to minor league camp. Makes sense.

It did. He has things to work on like strength so it will be easier for him to get it elsewhere. Might see him late in season if they can keep his innings down.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A warm weather city seems to take Tacoma out of the picture. Really just getting through the year is what's important no matter what level.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't even realize there was Bloomquist hate. What is there really to hate about the guy? He is the definition of a player every team needs, good enough to give basically anybody on your team a day without hurting you defensively and not good enough to cost a ton of money.

Sucks about Taylor, haven't seen much of him but seems like everytime he starts to get some steam going his way something bad happens to him.

And didn't realize Mark Lowe was back with the M's, damn has he fallen off the map with his fastball and slider.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The WFB hate is real. It is all over the other M's sites and the newspapers comment sections. Never understood it.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Willie does exactly what a utility guy should do. Lots of non-baseball fans in the PAC NW, I guess. Sad.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me too. Always thought he was the best clutch basestealer on the team even when opponent knew he was going. Ichiro wouldn't even try to steal late.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why anyone would hate on Willie is beyond me... A true blue collar player that will give 110% all the time... He's a great leader in the clubhouse... He's one of the better utility guys in the league... There aren't many better than Bloomy...