• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Training

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are going to have one heck of a starting pitching staff... Great to see Kuma w/ a solid performance today... Walker locking down the #5 spot in dominating fashion is great on the eyes... I'm pumped for the season to start!!!

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So with Taylor's injury and Walker's performance the 25 man almost seems decided outside of a couple of bullpen spots.

What maybe Leone, Smith, Rollins (L) and Olsen (L) for two spots? I don't see Safeco Joe and Leutge earning a spot, at least I hope not.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I have said, I don't get the hate. I think, and could be wrong, but the 'F' in WFB (which he is called on all sites) stands for 'F'ing'. Correct me if I am wrong.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So with Taylor's injury and Walker's performance the 25 man almost seems decided outside of a couple of bullpen spots.

What maybe Leone, Smith, Rollins (L) and Olsen (L) for two spots? I don't see Safeco Joe and Leutge earning a spot, at least I hope not.

Just to throw this out there, it wouldn't surprise me if they traded Furbush and kept Olsen and Rollins. Furbush has trade value, is the highest paid lefty in the pen, and hasn't look real strong this spring.

Smith hasn't looked like the guy pitching last year. I think he may be sent down to work on things.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I have said, I don't get the hate. I think, and could be wrong, but the 'F' in WFB (which he is called on all sites) stands for 'F'ing'. Correct me if I am wrong.
you're right

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will be very disappointed if Saunders makes this 25 man roster... He's awful....

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Limited options with lefty relief.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Went to the game today and sat behind the plate in row 7. Hot! It is amazing to see just how big the Sox players are. I'm not small, but they made me look that way.

Not much to report. Morrison looked good obviously.

Montero looks skinny but lost his eye along with the weight unfortunately. Tacoma 1B.

Marte could be the real deal in a year or two.

Ackley had a great stroke today. As we know, tomorrow is another thing.

Perez and Saunders look gone though Saunders did come back to get big outs...vs minor leaguers.

Medina was funky cold.

For you basketball fans, Klay Thompson's brother hit a deep homer for Sox.

Cute moment; In Melky's last AB, his wife and about 2 year old daughter walked down by us in the 2nd row and the little girl was yelling 'Papa. Papa' while he was on deck. He smiled and waved to her and then stepped to the plate and looked back at her again and smiled. Just a cute moment. They left after the AB and I looked at the wife's ring....a rock! Side note: M's fans were heckling him saying he was missing out on a ring by not signing with M's and signing with Sox. Ya, a M's fan of the 0-37 ring seasons...lol.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will be very disappointed if Saunders makes this 25 man roster... He's awful....

My only reasoning I think he has a shot is for the fact he could be an emergency starter if needed and nobody else really fits that...not even the bartender. Unlikely, but just my rational.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to throw this out there, it wouldn't surprise me if they traded Furbush and kept Olsen and Rollins. Furbush has trade value, is the highest paid lefty in the pen, and hasn't look real strong this spring.

Smith hasn't looked like the guy pitching last year. I think he may be sent down to work on things.

Interesting thought on furbush. I think this scenario makes sense. I kinda think Rollins has the edge because he is a Rule 5 guy. Smith definitely created some buzz in September but it was a small sample size at the same time. I think he could benefit from Tacoma pitching in the late innings

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I actually kinda like this idea. But it would be extremely risky. We would be putting the lefty relief job in the hands of 2 guys who haven't pitched in the majors. That being said Seattle loves Rollins, I just read his bio, he was drafted by Seattle twice then picked him up in rule 5.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually kinda like this idea. But it would be extremely risky. We would be putting the lefty relief job in the hands of 2 guys who haven't pitched in the majors. That being said Seattle loves Rollins, I just read his bio, he was drafted by Seattle twice then picked him up in rule 5.

I didn't know we drafted him twice. You are right we must like him. It would be risky, but I think we have a couple of capable lefties in minors that could be replacements if needed. I guess I am just not all in on Furbush. I am fine either way they go on it, but hate to lose Rollins for nothing.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Went to the game again today and sat in the front row down the 1B line. When Seager was leaving the field, everyone was yelling to him and he kept walking. I said, 'Nice commercial' and he just turned and shot me a big smile. He liked that one...lol.

Game notes:

Olson looks tough again. Keeper at this point.

Tacoma's starters scored the runs late in the game with Jones, Kivlehan, Peterson, and Romero doing the damage.

Ramirez looked good which just creates a problem. M's have 2 weeks to decide if they put him in the pen, start him (unlikely), or trade him.

Zunino racked up more K's. Sat with a lot of M's fans and he is not well loved.

Jackson also was missing a lot of pitches. If you took away the names and salaries, Jones would actually be the better choice right now and that is a scary thing to say.

WFB got the biggest applause when he came to bat late in the game. Nice to hear.

Ruggliano looks like a good pickup. I think he is what M's wanted Casper Wells to become. All-Around contributor, but nothing spectacular. Love those types of guys.

Pries looked good. No radar gun so not sure where he was sitting but gets outs. Maybe he has a chance as the next Ramirez/Beavan/Noesi hopeful.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
love that you're there so we can hear your reports, NW. i guess it's almost like being there.
a lot of teams would love a catcher as good as zunino behind the plate who can hit 20+ bombs per season.

i predict his K's will go down substantially after he has 2 full seasons under his belt (i.e. when has has as many professional AB's as most catchers who get called to the bigs), and his OBP, OPS, and OPS+ will improve more than most people expect this year.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jackson also was missing a lot of pitches. If you took away the names and salaries, Jones would actually be the better choice right now and that is a scary thing to say.

I think that is my biggest concern right now. If Jackson struggles again there is not a really good backup plan for center or the lead off spot. Jones may turn out to be good but I see him more as a corner OF if he pans out. Im not asking him to hit .290 like he did of his first three years. I'd gladly take his 2013 year where he went .272/.337/.417 which is around his career average. Just feels like his performance is extremely crucial for the offense.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Jackson will always be a player that strikes out a lot. It is important to remember that he was having decently nice season with the Tigers, once he became a Mariner he sucked. His success is very important to the success of the team. Especially being relied on to leadoff.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
love that you're there so we can hear your reports, NW. i guess it's almost like being there.
a lot of teams would love a catcher as good as zunino behind the plate who can hit 20+ bombs per season.

i predict his K's will go down substantially after he has 2 full seasons under his belt (i.e. when has has as many professional AB's as most catchers who get called to the bigs), and his OBP, OPS, and OPS+ will improve more than most people expect this year.

Thanks. It is silly stuff, but I enjoy sharing it.

My only worry with Zunino is that he just gets crushed and doesn't get better with more AB's. I know we have seen it before with M's hitters.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that is my biggest concern right now. If Jackson struggles again there is not a really good backup plan for center or the lead off spot. Jones may turn out to be good but I see him more as a corner OF if he pans out. Im not asking him to hit .290 like he did of his first three years. I'd gladly take his 2013 year where he went .272/.337/.417 which is around his career average. Just feels like his performance is extremely crucial for the offense.

Spot on. My worry as well. There is not one person in the system ready to step in. You can't have those gaps in your organization. I mean Chavez at age 50 is our only other option unless they believe Ruggliano can cut it on an everyday basis.

I would love to see them trade for a AAA CF who could play the year down or was ready to get called up if needed. Can't think of a player off hand that fits the bill (Bradley Jr. from Boston?), but it needs to happen.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Jackson will always be a player that strikes out a lot. It is important to remember that he was having decently nice season with the Tigers, once he became a Mariner he sucked. His success is very important to the success of the team. Especially being relied on to leadoff.

I agree and that is what scares me. I don't think he will do what we need of him. Really, really, really hope I am wrong.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zunino racked up more K's. Sat with a lot of M's fans and he is not well loved.

Seattle fans have a tendency to bitch and moan at times for illegitimate reasons, this is one of them. Those are probably the same fans that just bought their first M's t-shirt to go along with their two year old Seahawks jersey. Those fans that just got on the wagon are welcome to fall off :nono: