• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Training

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The #14 pick disappears and KC gets a sandwich pick.

Instead, lets say that Houston signs Santana. In this scenario, KC would still get a sandwich pick, but Houston loses their 2nd rounder instead since their pick is top 10, and thus, protected.

:thumb: Thank you.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think I'd sign him to a Pence contract - that would be a hell of a gamble. He's had 2 damn good years, but every other year his WAR has been 2.5 or *lower*. He definitely has the potential, but will he rise to that potential on a regular basis? Once he gets paid, why would he bother putting in the effort?

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants Acquire David Huff From Yankees

The Giants have acquired lefty David Huff for cash considerations, the Yankees announced. Huff was designated for assignment on Wednesday to make roster space for Masahiro Tanaka.
Huff, 29, pitched to a 4.67 ERA in 34 2/3 innings for the Yankees last season. He was claimed off of waivers early in the year from the Indians, the only organization he had played for to that point. Of Huff's 69 career MLB appearances, 54 have been starts. But while he received two spot starts for Yankees in 2013, and also made 14 Triple-A starts, Huff spent most of his time in New York working out of the pen.
Huff came to Cleveland as the 39th overall pick of the 2006 draft. Oddly, the southpaw has a significant reverse platoon split over his career: he has allowed a .797 OPS to righties, while lefties have knocked him around for an even .900 mark.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think I'd sign him to a Pence contract - that would be a hell of a gamble. He's had 2 damn good years, but every other year his WAR has been 2.5 or *lower*. He definitely has the potential, but will he rise to that potential on a regular basis? Once he gets paid, why would he bother putting in the effort?

Well, to be fair, WAR is a counting stat which means its affected by injury. Seeing as how Panda has no more hamate bones to break, I think a pretty good case can be made that he's likely to play 150+ games a year.

Another stat to ponder is OPS+ and he's a pretty good candidate to put up 130 or better. Also, he's 26 and just entering his prime. His weight is good and the gamble is that he "gets it" and will continue his fitness regime. That's a risk, no doubt. But IF he "gets it," he worth Pence money and then some.

The risk comes down to this in my hypo: Pay him Pence money now in the expectation that he continues to stay in shape as he moves into his prime. If so, he's a perennial 4-6 WAR player and you're paying 3 WAR price. If not, you've got 4 years of $18MM salary, which would be a slight overpay for 2.5 WAR. Even then, he'd have value to an AL team as a DH so you could likely a) get out of the contract and b) get something significant back for him.

The only real downside risk IMO is if he gets hurt due to his conditioning or bad luck. That's why you take the risk.

Unless you believe Susser is the next Posey. Then, you dump his ass yesterday. :noidea::noidea:

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you. None of the SF beat-writers have even whispered anything about this, I had no idea.

Huff has never been all that great though, I wonder what the Giants are thinking here.

The interesting thing about Huff is that he has pretty massive reverse-splits : he's a lefty who sucks against lefties, but has killed RHB for the past coupla years. He could end up being the ROOGY out of the pen. He's going to be super-cheap this coming season, as he isn't arb-eligible until 2015. That gives the Giants a year to evaluate him in real-world situations (and maybe teach him a thing or two). Maybe ending up like Casilla, who had issues before coming to the Giants, and then became a good-to-great reliever for us (depending on the day ;) )

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
D-Backs pitchers and catchers report tomorrow. It BEGINS!

Giants report next Friday, the 14th.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OT: Does Jose Bautista not look like Bengie Molina from the shoulders-down in this?

BhFfQVlIMAA1rgA.jpg

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am all set for an early jaunt to Phoenix from March 4-10. I usually go later in the spring, but just couldn't make it work this year.

3/4 SF @ COL
3/5 LAA @ SF
3/5 LAD @ CIN (night)
3/6 CIN @ SF
3/6 OKC @ PHO (hoops!)
3/7 SF @ KC
3/8 SEA @ SF
3/8 SEA @ LAD (night)
3/9 SF @ LAD

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am all set for an early jaunt to Phoenix from March 4-10. I usually go later in the spring, but just couldn't make it work this year.

3/4 SF @ COL
3/5 LAA @ SF
3/5 LAD @ CIN (night)
3/6 CIN @ SF
3/6 OKC @ PHO (hoops!)
3/7 SF @ KC
3/8 SEA @ SF
3/8 SEA @ LAD (night)
3/9 SF @ LAD

Man, you are CLEARLY doing something right...I'm only going for four days the following week. Please report back.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the 5'11" Tim Lincecum wearing Kameron Loe's jersey, and here's the 6'8" Kameron Low wearing Tim Lincecum's jersey (pants and all).

BiEP5s_CcAAADq0.png-large-443x600.png

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many kids do you think ran up to Loe asking for an autograph?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are the NRI:

Pitchers (9)

· RHP Jason Berken
· RHP Brett Bochy
· RHP J.C. Gutierrez
· RHP Derek Law
· RHP Mitch Lively
· RHP Kameron Loe
· RHP Adam Reifer
· LHP Dan Runzler
· RHP Mason Tobin

Catchers (2)
· Guillermo Quiroz
· Andrew Susac

Infielders (3)
· Chris Dominguez
· Brandon Hicks
· Mark Minicozzi

Outfielders (0)

Updated 3/6

Last edited by a moderator:

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This from ESPNs summary of today's game:

ON A ROLL

Madison Bumgarner, Matt Cain, Tim Hudson, Ryan Vogelsong and Lincecum, who are projected to be the Giants starters, have allowed one run and 13 hits with three walks in 23 innings in eight games.

:nod:

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have seen four Giants games so far this week, and they are 4-0. They scored three runs in each of the first three games, and broke out with five runs today.

The starters look very good, though in limited innings.

Susser almost hit one out today in garbage time, er, the ninth inning.

Pence did hit one out today at the Royal's stadium in Surprise. (I would say over 70% of the fans in attendance were Giants fans.)

Duvall looked great, until he got hurt early in the week.

I like the way Hicks is playing, he seems solid.

Panda crushed one the other day, and is showing plate discipline. (both kinds of plates) :D Yesterday, he walked in his first AB, and then he took the first couple of pitches in his second AB.

Today, Bochy and Loe and Law and Cordier and Kontos each pitched after Timmy went 3 innings. Loe and Law and Cordier all throw really hard, but Cordier could not find the plate today.

Sanchez looked good behind the plate today, gunning down a very fast Aoki who attempted to steal third. The other day, he threw out a runner at 2nd from his knees.

Tomorrow (with my son) I see the Dogs at night, and then the Giants @ Dogs on Sunday afternoon.

I am used to coming here later in the spring, so it is odd to see so many players, and very limited time by the starting pitchers and position players.

Went to see the Dogs @ Reds Wednesday night, and got to sit right behind the plate with the scouts. Interesting conversations and observations, though they keep things pretty close to the vest. One foul ball made it over the netting, and into the row of scouts. Every one of them hugged their laptops as if their lives depended on it, and let the ball bounce.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are the NRI:

Pitchers (9)

· RHP Jason Berken
· RHP Brett Bochy
· RHP J.C. Gutierrez
· RHP Derek Law
· RHP Mitch Lively
· RHP Kameron Loe
· RHP Adam Reifer
· LHP Dan Runzler
· RHP Mason Tobin

Catchers (2)
· Guillermo Quiroz
· Andrew Susac

Infielders (3)
· Chris Dominguez
· Brandon Hicks
· Mark Minicozzi

Outfielders (0)

Updated 3/6

Isn't Colvin an NRI?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I starting to think that Abreu is gone and Hicks is taking his spot as #3/#4 Util Inf player.

Arias is #1, no competition. EA has already all but secured his spot as the #2, and potential opening day starter (with Craw) in the mid inf. Abreu has done NOTHING this spring, and has a history of injury/inconsistency. Hicks has had a solid spring and is two years younger than Abreu.