• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Training

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never thought I'd say this after you guys won 2 WS in 3 years... but this year as long as anyone but the Doyers win the NL West then I'll be happy. Dbacks, Giants and the Padres against the Doyers. (left the Rockies out on purpose)

Anything short of a WS title for the doyers the next few years, based on what their owners are forking up, should be considered and upset and I would love nothing more than to see their title-less streak continue. Their fair-weather fan base won't care anyway.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anything short of a WS title for the doyers the next few years, based on what their owners are forking up, should be considered and upset and I would love nothing more than to see their title-less streak continue. Their fair-weather fan base won't care anyway.

This. If you listen closely, you can almost hear the sound of Laker fans jumping to the Clippers' bandwagon. And these people wonder why they don't have a pro football team. Did anyone even notice when the Kings won the Stanley Cup?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thomas Neal just signed with Cincy and Mota signed with KC...

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This. If you listen closely, you can almost hear the sound of Laker fans jumping to the Clippers' bandwagon. And these people wonder why they don't have a pro football team. Did anyone even notice when the Kings won the Stanley Cup?

I didn't know the Sacramento Kings were in the NHL?!? :doh:

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, I will be in Scottsdale 3/13 -- 3/16. Seeing SF@TX 3/13, AZ@MIL 3/14, LAA@COL 3/15, and CLE@SF 3/16. If anyone is going to be there, would love to say hello.

I will be there the 4th through the 10th. My son is flying in from Phoenix on the 7th. Our 4th year in a row at ST. Why didn't I think of this when he was much younger? I could have prevented him from becoming a Dodger fan. :L

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope he has a MONSTER year, and the Gs offer a QO only. He is a player that needs short contracts or he will become an albatross.

The thing is, he'll reject the QO. Say he has a 140 OPS+, 5.0 WAR year, All-star, 320/360/550, 25 HR, 100 RBI.

Some AL team will offer him 7/140. He's 26 and just now coming into his prime. He won't have to settle for a short term contract unless he implodes and/or gets hurt.

I say extend him NOW for Pence money -- 5/85 or so. You can always trade him to the AL if he porks out.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have no problems with him rejecting the QO - we get a sandwich pick. We don't need a Prince Fielder, and I think that Panda *should* be playing in the AL. His weight bounces up and down, his focus bounces up and down, his production bounces up and down, his defense bounces up and down. Without the 'hunger' of having to prove himself in a contract year, I doubt he ever would have done what he has done in the past 3 months. Why? Because up until now, he hadn't. Somebody is going to throw tons and tons of money at him, and I hope it isn't the Giants.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have no problems with him rejecting the QO - we get a sandwich pick. We don't need a Prince Fielder, and I think that Panda *should* be playing in the AL. His weight bounces up and down, his focus bounces up and down, his production bounces up and down, his defense bounces up and down. Without the 'hunger' of having to prove himself in a contract year, I doubt he ever would have done what he has done in the past 3 months. Why? Because up until now, he hadn't. Somebody is going to throw tons and tons of money at him, and I hope it isn't the Giants.

Sadly, this. This is the likely outcome. No way he takes Pence money, tzill. Teams are paying $6 mil/WAR, if he has a 5 WAR year he'll easily see a 7/150 kind of deal. Why would he take 5/85?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This was my point.

If some team is willing to give him a 7/140, more power to them. No way in Hell would I want to match that.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sadly, this. This is the likely outcome. No way he takes Pence money, tzill. Teams are paying $6 mil/WAR, if he has a 5 WAR year he'll easily see a 7/150 kind of deal. Why would he take 5/85?

Because the Giants would be assuming a lot of risk by offering it now. He won't take it after the season, but he might take the deal in ST. Thought I was clear about that.

If we let him walk, no sandwich pick will make up for what we lose.

UNLESS....Buster to 3B and THE SUSSER behind the dish.

TRADE PABLO NOW!!!

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because the Giants would be assuming a lot of risk by offering it now. He won't take it after the season, but he might take the deal in ST. Thought I was clear about that.

If we let him walk, no sandwich pick will make up for what we lose.

UNLESS....Buster to 3B and THE SUSSER behind the dish.

TRADE PABLO NOW!!!

I guess there's always a chance but I would argue it's almost nil. That would be pretty dumb on his part, he's obviously putting in max effort for a reason, and that reason is the big pay day. He's going to want to show the whole league what he can produce, and some team will take the risk that he'll keep producing after he gets paid. Because someone always does.

I think we all agree we don't want to be that team (because we're not the Dodger$), so perhaps the scenario will be he has a monster year and then either the team is doing great in which case we keep him, offer the QO, and just deal with losing him (like you mentioned that gives Buster a chance to move from catching, and gives Susac another year to develop). If the team isn't doing so hot we could get a pretty good prospect haul in August for him.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The loss of Panda hats not being sold, and the lease on the massive warehouse full of them might make the Giants inclined to tie him up...

Pablo holds a lot of the cards in this one. The only leverage the Giants have are reminding him how injury prone he's been, so he better take a Pence-like deal in ST while (if) it stands. Pablo OTOH, his agents (brother I guess) are getting him motivated like none-other year, so I can imagine they want to hold off until the offseason. They know how valuable Pablo is to the team, and the marketing team.

Despite it all, the Giants won't trade Sandoval, per say. That would admit defeat in a lot of fans eyes (we know better, but we're not the average fans). If they let him walk with the QO in the offseason, and someone signs him, we'll get a 12-30 draft pick or a sandwich pick. Not terrible compensation, we're not likely to get anything better by trading him.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The loss of Panda hats not being sold, and the lease on the massive warehouse full of them might make the Giants inclined to tie him up...

Pablo holds a lot of the cards in this one. The only leverage the Giants have are reminding him how injury prone he's been, so he better take a Pence-like deal in ST while (if) it stands. Pablo OTOH, his agents (brother I guess) are getting him motivated like none-other year, so I can imagine they want to hold off until the offseason. They know how valuable Pablo is to the team, and the marketing team.

Despite it all, the Giants won't trade Sandoval, per say. That would admit defeat in a lot of fans eyes (we know better, but we're not the average fans). If they let him walk with the QO in the offseason, and someone signs him, we'll get a 12-30 draft pick or a sandwich pick. Not terrible compensation, we're not likely to get anything better by trading him.

We would get a sandwich pick. The former team no longer receives an actual 1st rounder as compensation. The new team loses that pick, however (assuming it is not a protected top 10 pick).

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants Agree To Two-Year Deal With Joaquin Arias

FRIDAY: Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports (on Twitter) that Arias will earn $1.15MM in 2014 and $1.45MM in 2015. Arias will earn an additional $25K for reaching 325 and 350 plate appearances in 2014, though he's reached 325 PA just once in his career (2012 with the Giants) and has never hit the 350 mark in a single season.

In case you guys didn't see the terms of the deal.

Last edited by a moderator:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We would get a sandwich pick. The former team no longer receives an actual 1st rounder as compensation. The new team loses that pick, however (assuming it is not a protected top 10 pick).

Wait, so the signing team loses a pick, but the team losing the player doesn't get that particular pick?

So lets say the Giants (who hold the 14th pick this year) sign Ervin Santana; we would lose the 14th pick and KC would get a sandwich pick between the 1st and second round? Or would KC get the 14th pick?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait, so the signing team loses a pick, but the team losing the player doesn't get that particular pick?

So lets say the Giants (who hold the 14th pick this year) sign Ervin Santana; we would lose the 14th pick and KC would get a sandwich pick between the 1st and second round? Or would KC get the 14th pick?

The #14 pick disappears and KC gets a sandwich pick.

Instead, lets say that Houston signs Santana. In this scenario, KC would still get a sandwich pick, but Houston loses their 2nd rounder instead since their pick is top 10, and thus, protected.