• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Training 2015

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, I think the Giants are done making big moves and it's February after the Super Bowl which means baseball is almost here. 2015 Rosterbation (offseason edition) is over, now it's time for 25 man rosterbation. And right on cue, the Giants announced their Spring Training invites.

Here's all 22 of them.

Pitchers (12)
• LHP Tyson Blach
• RHP Clayton Blackburn
• RHP Brett Bochy
• RHP Kyle Crick
• RHP Cory Gearrin
• RHP Juan Gutierrez
• LHP Braulio Lara
• LHP Adalberto Mejia
• LHP Steven Okert
• RHP Curtis Partch
• RHP Chris Stratton
• LHP Nikolas Turley

Catchers (3)
• Aramis Garcia
• Guillermo Quiroz
• Tyler Ross

Infielders (5)
• Christian Arroyo
• Mitchell Delfino
• Brandon Hicks
• Kelby Tomlinson
• Carlos Triunfel

Outfielders (2)
• Justin Maxwell
• Mac Williamson

Something I already noticed this year compared to previous years is the amount of top prospects that are invited to camp. Blackburn, Crick, Blach, Mejia, Arroyo (!), Garcia, Williamson, Okert and Stratton are all in the top 12-15 of Giants prospects. Help is on the way folks, the wave of pitchers from the minors is approaching. Now, I say the only guy with a chance of making the team is Okert, but it's great to get these guys exposed to the ML players, especially Posey.

More on Okert, he is the Derek Law of last year. I think he will be given a legit shot at making the bullpen out of ST. I'm not sure how this competition is going to shake out though. Assuming Bum, Cain, Peavy, Lincecum, Petit, Vogelsong, KCYa, Javy, JA, Romo, Machi all are guaranteed, that makes 11, creating a competition between Kontos, Strickland, Gutierrez, Hall and Okert, plus which ever random pitcher lights it up in ST. If Huddy is ready to go though, he is the 12th guy, and Lincecum, Petit and Vogey will battle for the 5th starter.

Anyway, I just wanted to start a new thread and move away from the Rosterbation behemoth thread, and I figured today's announcement of ST invites could get the ball rolling.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, I think the Giants are done making big moves and it's February after the Super Bowl which means baseball is almost here. 2015 Rosterbation (offseason edition) is over, now it's time for 25 man rosterbation. And right on cue, the Giants announced their Spring Training invites.

Here's all 22 of them.

Pitchers (12)
• LHP Tyson Blach
• RHP Clayton Blackburn
• RHP Brett Bochy
• RHP Kyle Crick
• RHP Cory Gearrin
• RHP Juan Gutierrez
• LHP Braulio Lara
• LHP Adalberto Mejia
• LHP Steven Okert
• RHP Curtis Partch
• RHP Chris Stratton
• LHP Nikolas Turley

Catchers (3)
• Aramis Garcia
• Guillermo Quiroz
• Tyler Ross

Infielders (5)
• Christian Arroyo
• Mitchell Delfino
• Brandon Hicks
• Kelby Tomlinson
• Carlos Triunfel

Outfielders (2)
• Justin Maxwell
• Mac Williamson

Something I already noticed this year compared to previous years is the amount of top prospects that are invited to camp. Blackburn, Crick, Blach, Mejia, Arroyo (!), Garcia, Williamson, Okert and Stratton are all in the top 12-15 of Giants prospects. Help is on the way folks, the wave of pitchers from the minors is approaching. Now, I say the only guy with a chance of making the team is Okert, but it's great to get these guys exposed to the ML players, especially Posey.

More on Okert, he is the Derek Law of last year. I think he will be given a legit shot at making the bullpen out of ST. I'm not sure how this competition is going to shake out though. Assuming Bum, Cain, Peavy, Lincecum, Petit, Vogelsong, KCYa, Javy, JA, Romo, Machi all are guaranteed, that makes 11, creating a competition between Kontos, Strickland, Gutierrez, Hall and Okert, plus which ever random pitcher lights it up in ST. If Huddy is ready to go though, he is the 12th guy, and Lincecum, Petit and Vogey will battle for the 5th starter.

Anyway, I just wanted to start a new thread and move away from the Rosterbation behemoth thread, and I figured today's announcement of ST invites could get the ball rolling.

Thanks! I saw Okert pitch a couple times in the AFL, and he was impressive.

I will be in AZ from the 3/16 to 3/22 and try and report what I see.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm going the week after you (only time school schedule allowed me to go). The week you are going is always my favorite time, because you see guys are almost locked-in, and competition heats up. I'm still excited to go though, one of the games we're going to is a Giants Futures game. Not exactly sure what to expect, but I know there will be a lot of prospects going so that'll be cool.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The names that caught my eye...

Arroyo
Stratton
Garcia
Tomlinson

I guess I am not TOTALLY shocked to see Arroyo, but he is still super young and has yet to have his big breakout year, even though his performances so far have been very promising.

Garcia, already? I suspect this is more for the org's benefit than for his. The muckity-mucks need to see what they have in him so they know how to proceed with Susac. If Garcia is the second coming of Susac, than his schedule may be better suited for the org, and Susac can be dealt in a nice package.

Stratton only because he is still such an enigma.

Tomlinson is kinda the Next Duffy, only with very nice speed. Maybe a better version of Burriss? I don't really expect to see him this year, but I wouldn't be shocked, either.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Arroyo
Stratton
Garcia
Tomlinson

I guess I am not TOTALLY shocked to see Arroyo, but he is still super young and has yet to have his big breakout year, even though his performances so far have been very promising.

Garcia, already? I suspect this is more for the org's benefit than for his. The muckity-mucks need to see what they have in him so they know how to proceed with Susac. If Garcia is the second coming of Susac, than his schedule may be better suited for the org, and Susac can be dealt in a nice package.

Tomlinson is kinda the Next Duffy, only with very nice speed. Maybe a better version of Burriss? I don't really expect to see him this year, but I wouldn't be shocked, either.

Tomlinson did little in the AFL. Of course, the whole Scorpions team was pretty bad. But he didn't hit, (.111/.200/.159), he didn't field all that well, (3 errors). He did steal 8 bases in 9 attempts, so there is that.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Arroyo
Stratton
Garcia
Tomlinson

In regards to Garcia, IIRC Susac and Posey both were invited to camp the spring after they were drafted. All 3 were college catchers. And this kid needs a lot of work defensively behind the plate, so him working with Boch, Posey, Hayes will be very good for him. Plus, with the amount of pitchers you need plenty of catchers.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of Hayes...

Have the Giants named a new BP catcher yet?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think I mentioned this before, but I'll be at the Brewers game on 3/19 and the home game vs. the Angels on the 22nd. I think we've also got trips to the Cubs new park and Salt River Fields in between for non-Giant games.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Arroyo
Stratton
Garcia
Tomlinson

:censored::stfu:

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I mentioned this before, but I'll be at the Brewers game on 3/19 and the home game vs. the Angels on the 22nd. I think we've also got trips to the Cubs new park and Salt River Fields in between for non-Giant games.

So far, my schedule. My son flies in on the 19th from Denver.

3/17 AZ @ SF

3/18 MIL @ KC

3/18 AZ @ COL (7:05 p.m.)

3/19 SF @ MIL

3/20 LAD @ CHC

3/20 CIN @ SF (6:05 p.m.)

3/21 LAD @ COL

3/22 SF @ KC

The mother of Ron Roenicke was a member of a church I served, and my son and I meet her in Phoenix and she gets us into a game or two with the Brewers.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far, my schedule. My son flies in on the 19th from Denver.

3/17 AZ @ SF

3/18 MIL @ KC

3/18 AZ @ COL (7:05 p.m.)

3/19 SF @ MIL

3/20 LAD @ CHC

3/20 CIN @ SF (6:05 p.m.)

3/21 LAD @ COL

3/22 SF @ KC

The mother of Ron Roenicke was a member of a church I served, and my son and I meet her in Phoenix and she gets us into a game or two with the Brewers.

I'll be at the Brewer game with about 12 guys, along the first base line. We are quite animated and play a gambling game based on ABs. If you're on that side of the park, you'll notice us. And if you hear someone yell "You're a beautiful Hebrew man" at Ryan Braun...that'd be me.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be at the Brewer game with about 12 guys, along the first base line. We are quite animated and play a gambling game based on ABs. If you're on that side of the park, you'll notice us. And if you hear someone yell "You're a beautiful Hebrew man" at Ryan Braun...that'd be me.

Or just look for short, fat, ginger man with coke-bottle glasses and acne.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yarmulke or Giants hat?

49917_black_mesh_and_cotton_kippah_with_san_francisco_giants_logo_view_1.jpg

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be there. Look for a tall white guy with one of the these hangin' off his camera:

36341_2_xl-575x383.jpg

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So apparently Baggarly is the Giants beat writer for the Merc again. So Bagg's takes Pavlovic's old job, who took Bagg's old job twice now.

I kinda saw this coming IMO, he said he was going to do his own blog right after he announced he was leaving CSN, but after one post back in November/December he went silent on the blog (still tweeted). I began to start thinking he was talking with other Bay Area newspapers to become a beat writer again. Took longer than I thought it would.

I use to love Baggs at the Merc, but then didn't like his work as much after he went to CSN. Then I grew fond of Pavlovic's work at the Merc as an alternative. Hopefully CSN doesn't have the same effect on Alex that it did on Andy, and hopefully Andy goes back to his old ways.