• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Training 2015

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A-hem, I'll just leave this here

B-I-nQOIMAAOI8L.jpg
Ladies and gentlemen. I give to you 5/95!!!

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So apparently Baggarly is the Giants beat writer for the Merc again. So Bagg's takes Pavlovic's old job, who took Bagg's old job twice now.

I kinda saw this coming IMO, he said he was going to do his own blog right after he announced he was leaving CSN, but after one post back in November/December he went silent on the blog (still tweeted). I began to start thinking he was talking with other Bay Area newspapers to become a beat writer again. Took longer than I thought it would.

I use to love Baggs at the Merc, but then didn't like his work as much after he went to CSN. Then I grew fond of Pavlovic's work at the Merc as an alternative. Hopefully CSN doesn't have the same effect on Alex that it did on Andy, and hopefully Andy goes back to his old ways.

I thought his last post on his blog said that he was writing a book, and would be going dark for a while. I agree with your evaluations, though.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A-hem, I'll just leave this here

B-I-nQOIMAAOI8L.jpg

It would be nice to have a pool where we all guess his weight as of, say, Sep 30. It's too bad we have no way (weigh?) to verify it.

My guess would be 275. Heck, he might just be there in this picture.

jeep99tj

If you don’t agree with me, don’t talk to me.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 224.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be nice to have a pool where we all guess his weight as of, say, Sep 30. It's too bad we have no way (weigh?) to verify it.

My guess would be 275. Heck, he might just be there in this picture.

It's Bostons problem now. He'll put up decent numbers but only because of where he plays. Definitly not what he's getting paid for though.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the doyers just signed Le Grope to a minor league contract.

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of Hayes...

Have the Giants named a new BP catcher yet?

Hey Cal, I think it's Eli Whiteside ..if I am right about that it's a great move for the Giants to have someone like Eli working with pitchers he already knows.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Cal, I think it's Eli Whiteside ..if I am right about that it's a great move for the Giants to have someone like Eli working with pitchers he already knows.
Yea, that was mentioned by tz a couple weeks ago in some thread (I couldn't find it).

I agree that that is a good hire. He already knows most of the pitchers and already has a presence in the clubhouse.

I always like to see guys officially join the Giants Alumni Organization. No matter how faulty they were as a player.

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great news out of camp for Huddy according to Alex Pavlovic of CSN . Huddy threw his first bullpen today after his surgery in the off season and looked real good.

Hudson tells a cool story I heard the other day that on the way home from KC on the plane last year after the
WS celebration he considered retiring and told his wife sitting next to him. She told him no way. She told him he loves it too much and kind of convinced him. Huddy went to the back of the plane and spent time with the boys partying and came back to his seat and told her she was right. He was not ready to give up the game just yet. He was having too much fun. Cool story by Huddy.

I am glad he is back.. You could really see his personality come out last year especially at the parade and in that video where he wears the mop on his head and steals the show. He is a important leader in the clubhouse.

P.S. Thanks to Mrs. Huddy for telling her husband to keep on going. Tim is a Lucky guy.

Go Giants !!

Last edited:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, that was mentioned by tz a couple weeks ago in some thread (I couldn't find it).

I agree that that is a good hire. He already knows most of the pitchers and already has a presence in the clubhouse.

I always like to see guys officially join the Giants Alumni Organization. No matter how faulty they were as a player.

From Alex Pavlovic:

FAMILIAR FACE: Eli Whiteside. The 35-year-old is back in Giants camp … as a bullpen catcher. Whiteside returned to the organization this offseason when Billy Hayes was promoted to first-base coach. He previously played parts of four seasons for the Giants, getting 236 plate appearances in 2011 when Posey was hurt and memorably jumping up and down in front of Shane Victorino when the then-Phillie tried to rush the mound.

“We’re excited. It’s a great addition on this staff,” Bochy said. “(As a guy) that just finished playing, he’ll be able to communicate with these guys. We’re really, really excited to have Whitey.”

Giants spring training Day 1: Return of Whiteside | CSN Bay Area

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The names that caught my eye...

Arroyo
Stratton
Garcia
Tomlinson

I guess I am not TOTALLY shocked to see Arroyo, but he is still super young and has yet to have his big breakout year, even though his performances so far have been very promising.

Garcia, already? I suspect this is more for the org's benefit than for his. The muckity-mucks need to see what they have in him so they know how to proceed with Susac. If Garcia is the second coming of Susac, than his schedule may be better suited for the org, and Susac can be dealt in a nice package.

Stratton only because he is still such an enigma.

Tomlinson is kinda the Next Duffy, only with very nice speed. Maybe a better version of Burriss? I don't really expect to see him this year, but I wouldn't be shocked, either.

Duffy has excellent speed. Have you forgotten that brilliant dash home from second on the wild pitch against the Cardinals in the playoffs? A thing of beauty.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duffy has excellent speed. Have you forgotten that brilliant dash home from second on the wild pitch against the Cardinals in the playoffs? A thing of beauty.
Are you comparing Duffy's speed to Tomlinson's?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pence fractured forearm....prelim diagnosis is 6 weeks.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pence fractured forearm....prelim diagnosis is 6 weeks.
Where did you hear 6 weeks? On KNBR, Tom and Ray were spit balling that he could miss 6 weeks of he regular season...

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where did you hear 6 weeks? On KNBR, Tom and Ray were spit balling that he could miss 6 weeks of he regular season...
Most reporting on twitter that Pence could be out 6-8 weeks. Probably miss the last three weeks of spring training, then up to a month in the regular season.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was asking where he was seeing it at the time. At the time of the post, there were no estimates for how long he would be out. About an hour after, the estimates of "6 to 8 weeks" broke.

Whatever, this is 6-8 weeks too long for Herk to be out. This one hurts. Wishing him a speedy and thorough recovery. I guess Ishi can now have an opening day spot?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was asking where he was seeing it at the time. At the time of the post, there were no estimates for how long he would be out. About an hour after, the estimates of "6 to 8 weeks" broke.

From Baggs today:

Bruce Bochy said he would discuss the outfield situation with GM Brian Sabean later Thursday. But don’t bet on a $26 million gauze pad for what is essentially a flesh wound. Pence will miss two weeks — probably less knowing him — and for the short term, Gregor Blanco would move back into a starting role alongside Nori Aoki and Angel Pagan.