• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spoilers Discussion

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What, exactly, is a spoiler?

How long should we wait before discussing major plot points in shows/movies? Can we discuss 6th Sense or Crying Game in an open forum yet?

Is disclosing an event of the first half hour or so of a movie considered a spoiler? Would it be a spoiler if we were to say that Indy was betrayed by his "guide" while searching for the scull in the first movie in the opening scene?

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
Just announce that there are spoilers in the thread.
If people go in and read, it'll be their own damn fault.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you have to give a new movie at least a few weeks. Maybe if it's still in theaters you shouldn't be talking about it. But like JR said, just announce it.

Its the ass clowns that are already in a thread and just blurt shit out with a movie that's only been out a few day, are the ones I get mad at.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just announce that there are spoilers in the thread.
If people go in and read, it'll be their own damn fault.

That is etiquette. I understand that.

This question is about what requires a tag? Would my comment about Indiana Jones require a tag a week after the movie came out? Does a discussion about 6th Sense or Crying Game require a tag today?

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say that if a person's had sufficient chances to watch a movie (ie - the movie already ran in theaters, has been on Netflix, and plays on tv), I think it's fair game...movies like the Dark Knight, The Hangover, The Departed are all ok to talk about...there have been plenty of chances to watch them.

TV shows are trickier, considering many people nowadays start late just binge on it. Within the past 2 weeks I've watched all of Homeland while recovering from surgery, but someone spoiled the end of season 3 in the title of a thread on here (within a day or so of it happening)....that I think was poor judgment on that person's part. I (and a few of my friends) also started watching Breaking Bad over the summer, so we're a few years late to the party but we wouldn't want it spoiled. So I'd say for TV shows you need a bigger grace period given there's a bigger time investment to get caught up. But how long? I guess depends how long the show's been on.

Last edited by a moderator:

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it depends on the context of the thread too. People who aren't upto date should stay out of certain threads and have nobody but themselves to blame if something is spoiled for them when it should be obvious that people are going to discuss the show/movie.

But if the OP is asking if a certain movie is any good or something along those lines, I don't think anything should be given without a disclaimer. Also nothing from the plot should ever be used in the the thread title.