• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sox (AL's best record) win 50th, the 4th place Yankees? Fizzles Pirates win 51st

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Off day today...that's why they gave it to him...they did the same for Pedroia last week.

They want this guy around in September and hopefully beyond. In Atlanta...Games in June are apparently far more important.

thaaaaats right...back to back days off

makes sense to a baseball fan i guess

Down38st8

Resident Libertarian
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should have kept him and let him pad his stats against the worst pitcher in baseball.

"So...with an off day tomorrow..and a scrub lefty on the mound, do they rest ortiz and give him the best chance to be healthy all year long? Nope...they throw him out there and let him pad his stats"

~ Ox, in a parallel universe where Ortiz played yesterday.

heatwave31

i'll have the last laugh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should have kept him and let him pad his stats against the worst pitcher in baseball.
don't get out of hand.. i see you are on your troll game here and the other place too. throwing jabs at the jays in both places. but don't get too cocky.. your charm is wearing thin every time you speak :lame:

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

lol

buerhle is the worst pitcher in MLB?

hes not the worst in his own rotation

buerhle has been a lot better in his last 6-7 starting going into his start yesterday

black francis

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having another opinion = troll

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ohhhh ox

buerhle

7 starts prior to going to fenway:

2.72 ERA
.257 BA

cerealboi

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,620.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
don't get out of hand.. i see you are on your troll game here and the other place too. throwing jabs at the jays in both places. but don't get too cocky.. your charm is wearing thin every time you speak :lame:

Charm?

Mike Oxlodge

I'm better looking than U
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Who's throwing jabs at the Jays? They suck. Red Sox and Orioles will run away with the division while the Miami Marlins of Toronto fight off the 1990 Stump Merril Yankees.

Mike Oxlodge

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having another opinion = troll

Word. Some people feel Ortiz should play, especially if all you do his get 4 ABs maybe 5 and ask to jog around the bases. And when he runs, he jogs anyway. And he clobbers lefties better than most left handed hitters.

black francis

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word. Some people feel Ortiz should play, especially if all you do his get 4 ABs maybe 5 and ask to jog around the bases. And when he runs, he jogs anyway. And he clobbers lefties better than most left handed hitters.

i agree.

DHs shouldnt get any days off.

Maybe Ortiz could play more if he could get into shape.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:bawling:

"i hate boston and the designated hitter rule, created by manager (and mass's own) connie mack while he watched his own pitchers embarrass the art of hitting"

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Oxlodge

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i agree.

DHs shouldnt get any days off.

Maybe Ortiz could play more if he could get into shape.

And its not like when he's actually DHing, hes still riding the bench because he's a hurrendous infielder. So benching him if pretty redundant, and If I'm not mistaken he owns Burhle and lefties this year. But they want to rest him for that late September push when he sits the bench 95% of the game anyway.

heatwave31

i'll have the last laugh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who's throwing jabs at the Jays? They suck. Red Sox and Orioles will run away with the division while the Miami Marlins of Toronto fight off the 1990 Stump Merril Yankees.
do the braves usually split with teams that suck? so what would that say about them:noidea:

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rationale for the designated hitter rule arose comparatively early in the history of professional baseball. It was observed that, with a few exceptions — most notably Babe Ruth, who began his career as a pitcher with the Boston Red Sox — pitchers are usually selected for the quality of their pitching, not their hitting, and that most pitchers were extraordinarily weak hitters who had to be batted ninth in the batting order and pinch-hit for late in games when their team was trailing. The designated hitter idea was raised by Philadelphia Athletics manager Connie Mack in 1906,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Designated_hitter#cite_note-SI_Wulf-55though he was not the first to propose it. The rumors were that he grew weary of watching Eddie Plank and Charles Bender flail at pitches when at bat. Mack's proposal received little support and was even lambasted by the press as "wrong theoretically". The notion did not die. In the late 1920s, National League president John Heydler made a number of attempts to introduce a 10th man designated hitter as a way to speed up the game, and almost convinced National League clubs to agree to try it during spring training in 1929.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Designated_hitter#cite_note-SI_Wulf-55

Mike Oxlodge

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
do the braves usually split with teams that suck? so what would that say about them:noidea:

They split with teams that normally suck and lose 3 of 5 to the Mets at home. Shit happens. 48-34, 1st place, Kimbrel's The Best.

Mike Oxlodge

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rationale for the designated hitter rule arose comparatively early in the history of professional baseball. It was observed that, with a few exceptions — most notably Babe Ruth, who began his career as a pitcher with the Boston Red Sox — pitchers are usually selected for the quality of their pitching, not their hitting, and that most pitchers were extraordinarily weak hitters who had to be batted ninth in the batting order and pinch-hit for late in games when their team was trailing. The designated hitter idea was raised by Philadelphia Athletics manager Connie Mack in 1906,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Designated_hitter#cite_note-SI_Wulf-55though he was not the first to propose it. The rumors were that he grew weary of watching Eddie Plank and Charles Bender flail at pitches when at bat. Mack's proposal received little support and was even lambasted by the press as "wrong theoretically". The notion did not die. In the late 1920s, National League president John Heydler made a number of attempts to introduce a 10th man designated hitter as a way to speed up the game, and almost convinced National League clubs to agree to try it during spring training in 1929.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Designated_hitter#cite_note-SI_Wulf-55

So they wanted it just to speed up the game. And the AL Wanted it because they couldnt score runs and attendance was down.

Down38st8

Resident Libertarian
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The team just got done with 22 games in 22 days...he's played in every game since May 14th....

You're literally bashing the guy for one off day in 6 weeks.

Awesome...have a blast with it.

bad ankle

37 years old

lefty on the mound.

self explanatory to all non boston trolls.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
never did understand the DH

Usually, the best players in JV through college are pitchers and they always had to swing the bat - some were pretty damn good as well. Make it to the bigs in the AL and never pick up a bat again

wtf

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So they wanted it just to speed up the game. And the AL Wanted it because they couldnt score runs and attendance was down.

the AL wanted it because of./along with the mound change and how much pitchers dominated

However, momentum to implement the DH did not pick up until the pitching dominance of the late 1960s. In 1968, Denny McLain won 31 games and Bob Gibson had a 1.12 ERA, while Carl Yastrzemski led the American League in hitting with a .301 average. After the season, the rules were changed to lower the mound from 15 to 10 inches and change the upper limit of the strike zone from the top of a batter's shoulders to his armpits. In addition, in 1969 spring training, both the American League and National League agreed to try the designated pinch hitter (DPH), but they did not agree on the implementation. Most NL teams chose not to participate. On March 6, 1969, two games utilized the new DPH rule for the very first time. Two newly formed expansion teams, the Montreal Expos and the Kansas City Royals, would participate in one such game, and the New York Yankees and Washington Senators in the other. On March 26, 1969, Major League Baseball nixed the idea for the time being. Like other experimental baseball rule changes of the 1960s and '70s, the DH was embraced by Oakland A's owner Charlie O. Finley. On January 11, 1973, Finley and the other American League owners voted 8–4 to approve the designated hitter for a three-year trial run.