• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sources believe Deshaun Watson may have played last snap with Houston Texans

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
who says it has to be at 19 ? who says it has to be this year ?

i thought if we made the playoffs this stuff would go down . we forget we are a 7 win team with one victory over a winning team , ONE . 4 of our wins were against dallas and the train wreck in philly , another vs the bengals who played without their starting qb half the game

so i have to think that trotting out division winner and now we are in the " win now mode " is a recipe for failure

i think jones could fit in for us but i would wondering if i take him at 19. he is accurate , will know the offense (exp) and i think he can make the throws a KC could .

trask is another guy who could fit in but he would need more work
This team is still trying to answer the question about QB long term. That said, the notion that I'm taking a "win now" position is nuts! So, let me set the record straight. I am in a build now frame of mind and hopefully so is this organization. Getting Watson does NOT translate into a "win now" POV. What that does is put a period behind who the answer at QB will be for the next ten to twelve years. Nothing more.

About that QB at 19... Washington needs a QB full stop. It's clear to me that they aren't comfortable going into next year with the bunch that they currently have. Folks here don't want to trade for a better than middling Kirk Cousins type QB and they don't want to draft a guy in which they move up to get who would be markedly better. That leaves either getting the best of the rest at 19, or worse, another one later in the draft. On this last point, if Washington was sold on anyone that they could get in this draft, why on earth are they trying so hard to trade for a QB during this time? Why not, as you also suggest, wait until next year?

So, it's next year huh? How does that solve the problem this year in which Ron Rivera stated that solving the QB issue is his #1 priority? Unless you're expecting another sub .500 season in 2021, aren't they in the same pickle if they finish in their historical 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 range? Isn't it a fact that since 1999, this team hasn't owned stability at QB nor built a team capable of propping up the middling ones that they did have? I have to admire your stick-to-it-ness but honestly, we've been there and done that for 21 years, it's time to try something different.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team is still trying to answer the question about QB long term. That said, the notion that I'm taking a "win now" position is nuts! So, let me set the record straight. I am in a build now frame of mind and hopefully so is this organization. Getting Watson does NOT translate into a "win now" POV. What that does is put a period behind who the answer at QB will be for the next ten to twelve years. Nothing more.

About that QB at 19... Washington needs a QB full stop. It's clear to me that they aren't comfortable going into next year with the bunch that they currently have. Folks here don't want to trade for a better than middling Kirk Cousins type QB and they don't want to draft a guy in which they move up to get who would be markedly better. That leaves either getting the best of the rest at 19, or worse, another one later in the draft. On this last point, if Washington was sold on anyone that they could get in this draft, why on earth are they trying so hard to trade for a QB during this time? Why not, as you also suggest, wait until next year?

So, it's next year huh? How does that solve the problem this year in which Ron Rivera stated that solving the QB issue is his #1 priority? Unless you're expecting another sub .500 season in 2021, aren't they in the same pickle if they finish in their historical 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 range? Isn't it a fact that since 1999, this team hasn't owned stability at QB nor built a team capable of propping up the middling ones that they did have? I have to admire your stick-to-it-ness but honestly, we've been there and done that for 21 years, it's time to try something different.
why force a solution that isnt there . it can be a priority but maybe the fit isnt there this year . if you went on to listen to RR he said he wasnt willing to mortgage the future to get one either and that all options are on the table

the prevailing argument for getting watson is we are "win now mode "

i certainly would give up the 19th for carr

i certainly would give up some mid round pick(s) to get marriotta

i would look into taylor

the point is what it would take to get watson will probably gut the team on the d/line (maybe curl ) and leave us out of the top 64 draft race till 23

in that time you have to hope you hit on the 3-7's like you did with mac and gibson but hope you dont get a christian

now i look at 3 1st 2,2nds and i see 5 guys who should be guys who can be quality and then i add 5 3rds and i see a lot of quality young guys we could have (10 guys ) if we dont trade and 5 we dont get if we do . and hoping in the meantime we hit on a few more in rounds 4-7 where statistically its very rare

now you are asking me to believe watson will elevate the offense and get more wins for us ? well the offense could be elevated but the defense could drop way down . and watson came up with 4 wins throwing to cooks and fuller4

watson , like any other qb needs weapons too and i feel like for 3 of the 4 years you have him under contract you will be hard pressed to get him those weapons

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why force a solution that isnt there . it can be a priority but maybe the fit isnt there this year . if you went on to listen to RR he said he wasnt willing to mortgage the future to get one either and that all options are on the table

the prevailing argument for getting watson is we are "win now mode "

i certainly would give up the 19th for carr

i certainly would give up some mid round pick(s) to get marriotta

i would look into taylor

the point is what it would take to get watson will probably gut the team on the d/line (maybe curl ) and leave us out of the top 64 draft race till 23

in that time you have to hope you hit on the 3-7's like you did with mac and gibson but hope you dont get a christian

now i look at 3 1st 2,2nds and i see 5 guys who should be guys who can be quality and then i add 5 3rds and i see a lot of quality young guys we could have (10 guys ) if we dont trade and 5 we dont get if we do . and hoping in the meantime we hit on a few more in rounds 4-7 where statistically its very rare

now you are asking me to believe watson will elevate the offense and get more wins for us ? well the offense could be elevated but the defense could drop way down . and watson came up with 4 wins throwing to cooks and fuller4

watson , like any other qb needs weapons too and i feel like for 3 of the 4 years you have him under contract you will be hard pressed to get him those weapons
I get it, but what you're stating has nothing to do with what I believe that it will take to get stability at QB for the next 10 to 12 years. I'm just not going to debate you over something that you believe and something that I believe which are two totally different approaches to the same issue.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get it, but what you're stating has nothing to do with what I believe that it will take to get stability at QB for the next 10 to 12 years. I'm just not going to debate you over something that you believe and something that I believe which are two totally different approaches to the same issue.
You don’t have 10-12 yrs , you have 4

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree DT's way easier to replace
Lets not get too cocky. Lotta people say safeties are easy to replace and the Skins haven't found a decent FS in the last 13 years. That said. You know what's harder to find than finding a good DT or a good FS? A QB showing all the signs on his way to sustained greatness.

And some of arguments present against acquiring him or at least trying to acquire him have been in a word, weird. There's the "the Skins have won 3 Super Bowls w/o a stud QB." And the last Super Bowl the Skins won employing that method was in 1991. I had a full head of non-gray hair back then and the 6 million dollar/5 year contract that the Skins gave to Wilbur Marshall just 3 years earlier marked the first time in 11 years that a free agent switched teams in the NFL. This is not our dad's NFL anymore. The "QB Y has similar stats n a W/L record as QB X. How come no one loves QB Y." argument. Cuz QB Y isn't as good as QB X is the most correct answer.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was asked and answered in another post.
and the only answer you have for certain is 4 yrs under contract. then you start with with franchise tags and being able to sit out etc . which means 10 to 12 years isnt a certainty by any means

if he doesnt like washington after his contract he certainly can force the issue to leave . those are facts backed up by the CBA and anything else is hope and speculation

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and the only answer you have for certain is 4 yrs under contract. then you start with with franchise tags and being able to sit out etc . which means 10 to 12 years isnt a certainty by any means

if he doesnt like washington after his contract he certainly can force the issue to leave . those are facts backed up by the CBA and anything else is hope and speculation
Can't argue that but I will state for the record that Ron Rivera's recent hires will be proven competent or not. Should they go through the effort and expense to get Watson, it would be foolish to fail to keep him on board. So, what would make him happy?.. winning!,.. something that Washington has yet to prove they're interested in doing on a regular basis.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't argue that but I will state for the record that Ron Rivera's recent hires will be proven competent or not. Should they go through the effort and expense to get Watson, it would be foolish to fail to keep him on board. So, what would make him happy?.. winning!,.. something that Washington has yet to prove they're interested in doing on a regular basis.
hasnt DW won in houston ? aside from last seasons debacle he has

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hasnt DW won in houston ? aside from last seasons debacle he has
There's more to winning than final scores. When you have assets that are highly skilled and draft picks that are useful to the cause and you in effect give them away, players take notice. The goal has been, and remains, to win Super Bowls, not just be competitive year after year. The contracts that players sign isn't a blind, abstract thing. It is a promise to give their all in exchange for the organizations very best effort to also field the very best team towards that goal. Read what former All-pro LT Joe Thomas has to say about Watson in general and that partnership in particular.

Joe Thomas ‘so happy’ to see Deshaun Watson hold Texans ...

Texans Wire › 2021 › 02 › 06 › joe...
20 hours ago · Needless to say, Thomas is siding Houston Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson, and appreciates his attempts to hold chairman and CEO Cal McNair accountable. “I am so happy to see that a player of his caliber with his leverage is finally holding his franchise accountable to things that they have promised that they were going to do for him ...

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's more to winning than final scores. When you have assets that are highly skilled and draft picks that are useful to the cause and you in effect give them away, players take notice. The goal has been, and remains, to win Super Bowls, not just be competitive year after year. The contracts that players sign isn't a blind, abstract thing. It is a promise to give their all in exchange for the organizations very best effort to also field the very best team towards that goal. Read what former All-pro LT Joe Thomas has to say about Watson in general and that partnership in particular.

Joe Thomas ‘so happy’ to see Deshaun Watson hold Texans ...

Texans Wire › 2021 › 02 › 06 › joe...
20 hours ago · Needless to say, Thomas is siding Houston Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson, and appreciates his attempts to hold chairman and CEO Cal McNair accountable. “I am so happy to see that a player of his caliber with his leverage is finally holding his franchise accountable to things that they have promised that they were going to do for him ...
When you are the face of the franchise, organizations do things for you...

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you are the face of the franchise, organizations do things for you...
... And when you are really competent at QB other free agent players will want to play with you.

countryroads316

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Supposedly the Bears, Colts, and Patriots are out on Watson

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They think the cost is too high. It is rather simple.
I have to be honest, you're probably spot on but I was expecting something a bit more nuanced, more detailed if you will, coming from you. I've come to appreciate the manner in which you outline your thoughts and offer commentary. As stated the K.I.S.S. principle is best suited here and the price tag is not in their best interest.