• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SOS and the CFP Committee

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't buy the let all the conference champs in.

If we were forced to go to 8, let's choose the best 8.

I just can't get behind the idea of a conf champ that has 3 or 4 losses getting in ahead of a one or two loss team from the same conference. For that matter, another conference.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't buy the let all the conference champs in.

If we were forced to go to 8, let's choose the best 8.

I just can't get behind the idea of a conf champ that has 3 or 4 losses getting in ahead of a one or two loss team from the same conference. For that matter, another conference.

The only way that would happen is if the team with 3 or 4 losses lost all out of conference games, which tells me they actually played better teams out of conference than the one or two loss team who obviously had to lose in conference to the first team...

And is it just me or does it seem like those most afraid or despising the playoff system are SEC fans?

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only way that would happen is if the team with 3 or 4 losses lost all out of conference games, which tells me they actually played better teams out of conference than the one or two loss team who obviously had to lose in conference to the first team...

And is it just me or does it seem like those most afraid or despising the playoff system are SEC fans?

Well, first off, I am far from an SEC fan.

And no, that isn't the only way that could happen. Not even close.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KS,

In your conference that may be the case as you play a round robin w/out a conf championship.

However, there is football being played in 4 other power conferences that have CCGs.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FYI, the SEC has been the conference that has pushed for the playoffs more than any other conference. The only conference that voted with the SEC for the playoffs was the ACC. The big12, Big10 and Pac12 all voted against the playoffs until the NCG ended up as SEC vs SEC.

So claiming the SEC and SEC fans are against the playoffs is ridiculous. Especially since the playoffs are going to help the SEC more than other conferences.

What people are against is just taking conference champions from every conference as if the conference champion is somehow among the best teams in the country and thus deserving of such a spot. Which is why I'm in favor of just taking the best 4 teams, whoever they are. Get rid of the committee and just use the BCS formula with the top4 teams. No doubt a Big12 champion with a good record is going to end up there, so what's the problem?

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How can a team deserve to be a champion, if they didn't even win their conference? What's the point in conferences, if they don't mean jack?

TROJAN-MAN

Been around the block more times than the mailman
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say, conference champions first. If a conference champion has two or more losses then their out. It wouldn't be fair for a one loss conference champion to be left out for a one loss team that didn't win their conference

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How can a team deserve to be a champion, if they didn't even win their conference? What's the point in conferences, if they don't mean jack?

If each conference champion is somehow the best teams, then they would by default end up in the playoffs.

I'd say the majority of teams in the playoffs will be teams that won their conference. Since the majority of teams that made it to the NCG also won their conference.

But sometimes, the 2nd place team of 1 conference is better than the conference champion of another conference. And sometimes, that 8-4 conference champion doesn't deserve to be in the playoffs just because they won their conference.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So do you disregard every wild card team that won the SB or World Series?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say, conference champions first. If a conference champion has two or more losses then their out. It wouldn't be fair for a one loss conference champion to be left out for a one loss team that didn't win their conference

Then they would be ranked ahead if that was true.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all conferences are NOT equal.

In any given year it can change to where 2 or 3 of the best teams in the country come from one conference.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like the thinking.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If each conference champion is somehow the best teams, then they would by default end up in the playoffs.

I'd say the majority of teams in the playoffs will be teams that won their conference. Since the majority of teams that made it to the NCG also won their conference.

[But sometimes, the 2nd place team of 1 conference B][/B]is better than the conference champion of another conference. And sometimes, that 8-4 conference champion doesn't deserve to be in the playoffs just because they won their conference.

^^^^this. They're the 2nd place team IN THEIR OWN CONFERENCE. Sorry, but that should eliminate them. How do we know the 8-4 team isn't good, what if their conference is just better?

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then they would be ranked ahead if that was true.

Not to nit pick, but ranking aren't in this debate. It is the committee discussion that raises these points.

Too bad, the rankings SHOULD be the determining factor, but now Condy will decide who is the best 4 teams.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^this. They're the 2nd place team IN THEIR OWN CONFERENCE. Sorry, but that should eliminate them. How do we know the 8-4 team isn't good, what if their conference is just better?

Then they would be ranked higher. And they didn't win their conference with 4 losses if those 4 losses were all in conference unless the better teams they lost to were banned from post season play.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So do you disregard every wild card team that won the SB or World Series?

Give me a list of teams that have not won their conference, but went on to win the SB or World Series.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to nit pick, but ranking aren't in this debate. It is the committee discussion that raises these points.

Too bad, the rankings SHOULD be the determining factor, but now Condy will decide who is the best 4 teams.

Yes, I'm against the committee and favor using BCS style rankings and taking the top 4.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then they would be ranked higher.

LOL, yes the higher ranked team is ALWAYS better than the lower ranked ones. Tell me again who was ranked higher between bama and oklahoma pre sugar bowl?

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just can't fathom how anybody would want conference losers in a 4 team playoff. What's the point then, just let everybody play an independent schedule and see who looks the best.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, yes the higher ranked team is ALWAYS better than the lower ranked ones. Tell me again who was ranked higher between bama and oklahoma pre sugar bowl?

There is a difference between a team being good and being deserving. Better teams lose all the time, rankings is a matter of better season.

Or do you believe NCST was a better team than Florida St year before last?

Or if you want to play with Alabama and Oklahoma. Alabama beat Ole Miss, who beat Texas, who beat Oklahoma, who beat Alabama. The never ending loop, they must all suck!