• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Something has to change with these divisions

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No it hasn't. Please quote it to me.

Look, I get it, you disagree with me. That's fine. You think a team that finishes second in their division deserves a home game. I don't, and I haven't seen any compelling reason to think otherwise.

I haven't seen one compelling reason that any of those pathetic NFCE teams deserve a home playoff game. I could use a laugh this morning.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The DIV title reward is outdated based on the % of DIV games relative to the entire season. That much I agree with.

But imo a fruitless debate, what owner would ever vote to give up the home game?

I would think all the owners in the AFCE (except for Kraft) to name 3, but apparently not.

BTW...any debate on here is fruitless.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your entire argument is based off the principle that all divisions are created equal. It's also based off the fact that division play means the same as it used to. Neither is correct.
No it isn't, my argument is based on the principle that teams within a division share a schedule that is extremely similar and that tells us which team is better, but teams from different divisions play schedules that are so dissimilar that you can't really know that a team that finishes second in a division is better than another team that finished first in their division.

Now, this season, it's pretty safe to say that Seattle is a better team whoever ends up winning the NFC East. However, more often it's not nearly that cut and dried. Were the 2013 Saints, who finished second in their division at 11-5, really better than the 10-6 Eagles, who won their division? Well they went to Philly and won, so it's safe to say yes. But what about the 2012 season, when the 11-5 second place Colts had to go to Baltimore to play the 10-6 Ravens, were the Colts a better team? Probably not, because they got their doors blown off.

I don't like the idea of a 10-6 division winner giving up a home game to an 11-5 wild card team when that 11-5 team may have played a much easier schedule. This season, the AFC East is playing both the NFC East and AFC South, the two worst divisions in football. It's very possible that the Jets finish with a better record than whoever wins the AFC South, and for the sake of argument let's say that's the Texans. But are the Jets really better than the Texans? The Texans already beat them once this year. Why should the Texans have to go on the road in the playoffs and play the Jets, who they already beat?

It's much easier to just reward teams that win their division with a home playoff game. Then a wild card team with a good record can either show that their record was inflated with an easy schedule, or that they were truly the better team.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't seen one compelling reason that any of those pathetic NFCE teams deserve a home playoff game. I could use a laugh this morning.
Because they won their division. That's more than can be said of any wild card team.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think all the owners in the AFCE (except for Kraft) to name 3, but apparently not.

BTW...any debate on here is fruitless.

You don't think the Hoop has an impact? lol Some are more fruitless than others I should say, huh.

Do you think the Jets, Dolphins or Bills ownership would deprive their fans of a home game if they won the AFCE? I wouldn't want to, but I think Bills' fans would love to freeze their asses off watching a home game in JAN.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys can argue and complain for change all you want, but the reality is there is no momentum for change and it's unlikely to change because the owner's don't want it to. And frankly, I think it's better for football to keep it the way it is, because it puts added importance to winning your division, which helps foster rivalries among division teams.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't think the Hoop has an impact? lol Some are more fruitless than others I should say, huh.

Do you think the Jets, Dolphins or Bills ownership would deprive their fans of a home game if they won the AFCE? I wouldn't want to, but I think Bills' fans would love to freeze their asses off watching a home game in JAN.

Every owner's loss of a home game is another owner's gain. Depends on which way owners feel they stand the best chance of gaining one. I'm not sure how the feel about their chances of winning the AFCE.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because they won their division. That's more than can be said of any wild card team.

What an accomplishment! What chance does Seattle have of winning the NFCE???

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What an accomplishment! What chance does Seattle have of winning the NFCE???
What happens if Seattle wins the wild card and loses in the first round to whoever wins the East? Are you going to feel sorry for them because it was so unfair that they had to go on the road, or will you shrug and say, "well, I guess they weren't a real Super Bowl contender after all"?

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What happens if Seattle wins the wild card and loses in the first round to whoever wins the East? Are you going to feel sorry for them because it was so unfair that they had to go on the road, or will you shrug and say, "well, I guess they weren't a real Super Bowl contender after all"?

Probably neither. Upsets happen all the time.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you aligned the divisions like this, you would have closer proximity for other division fans to go away games against divisional foes if the games are not sold out. They each get to play inside their own time zone for the most part, or at least do not have to travel as far to get to a divisional game, like Dallas playing the Giants, etc.

I think the divisions should have been lined up like this without affecting teams moving from one conference to another, or ruining certain rivalries (the only real rivalry being affected here is Pittsburgh vs. Baltimore, Dallas vs. anyone in the North, and the Dolphins vs. East opponents). New rivalries would have been made especially on travel time and proximity to that teams fan base:

AFC East
New England Patriots
New York Jets
Baltimore Ravens
Buffalo Bills

AFC North
Cincinnati Bengals
Cleveland Browns
Pittsburgh Steelers
Indianapolis Colts

AFC South
Miami Dolphins
Houston Texans
Jacksonville Jaguars
Tennessee Titans

AFC West
Denver Broncos
Kansas City Chiefs
San Diego Chargers
Oakland Raiders

NFC East
Philadelphia Eagles
Washington Redskins
New York Giants
Carolina Panthers

NFC North
Green Bay Packers
Detroit Lions
Chicago Bears
Minnesota Vikings

NFC South
Dallas Cowboys
Atlanta Falcons
New Orleans Saints
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

NFC West
Arizona Cardinals
Los Angeles Rams
Seattle Seahawks
San Francisco 49ers

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every owner's loss of a home game is another owner's gain. Depends on which way owners feel they stand the best chance of gaining one. I'm not sure how the feel about their chances of winning the AFCE.

lol...this one was almost Perry Mason like!

You made 3 comments, none of them answering the question!! lol.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you aligned the divisions like this, you would have closer proximity for other division fans to go away games against divisional foes if the games are not sold out. They each get to play inside their own time zone for the most part, or at least do not have to travel as far to get to a divisional game, like Dallas playing the Giants, etc.

I think the divisions should have been lined up like this without affecting teams moving from one conference to another, or ruining certain rivalries (the only real rivalry being affected here is Pittsburgh vs. Baltimore, Dallas vs. anyone in the North, and the Dolphins vs. East opponents). New rivalries would have been made especially on travel time and proximity to that teams fan base:

AFC East
New England Patriots
New York Jets
Baltimore Ravens
Buffalo Bills

AFC North
Cincinnati Bengals
Cleveland Browns
Pittsburgh Steelers
Indianapolis Colts

AFC South
Miami Dolphins
Houston Texans
Jacksonville Jaguars
Tennessee Titans

AFC West
Denver Broncos
Kansas City Chiefs
San Diego Chargers
Oakland Raiders

NFC East
Philadelphia Eagles
Washington Redskins
New York Giants
Carolina Panthers

NFC North
Green Bay Packers
Detroit Lions
Chicago Bears
Minnesota Vikings

NFC South
Dallas Cowboys
Atlanta Falcons
New Orleans Saints
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

NFC West
Arizona Cardinals
Los Angeles Rams
Seattle Seahawks
San Francisco 49ers

This makes sense...the one I'm not too cranked up about...CAR...they fit the south better than DAL does...right now, from ATL...Tampa and NO are both 6 hr drives, CAR is 3, DAL is 10...but CAR fit the East much better than DAL.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The DIV title reward is outdated based on the % of DIV games relative to the entire season. That much I agree with.

But imo a fruitless debate, what owner would ever vote to give up the home game?
You're probably right.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol...this one was almost Perry Mason like!

You made 3 comments, none of them answering the question!! lol.

Sorry...I didn't see the "if they won the AFCE" at the end. No...they would not want to deprive their fans of a home game under any circumstance (whether that meant winning the AFCE or finishing in the top 4 of the conference if that was the determining factor).

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No it hasn't. Please quote it to me.

Look, I get it, you disagree with me. That's fine. You think a team that finishes second in their division deserves a home game. I don't, and I haven't seen any compelling reason to think otherwise.
No, I've never said such a thing. What I've said is that isn't sensible to have an 11 win team go on the road to play a 6 or 7 win team just because that team happened to be better than a whopping 3 other crappy teams. That is NOT the same as saying a second place team deserves a home game.

Spinning wheels with you here..... will sit back and not waste more time reading you telling me the way it is is the way it should be because that's the way it currently is.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I've never said such a thing. What I've said is that isn't sensible to have an 11 win team go on the road to play a 6 or 7 win team just because that team happened to be better than a whopping 3 other crappy teams. That is NOT the same as saying a second place team deserves a home game.

Spinning wheels with you here..... will sit back and not waste more time reading you telling me the way it is is the way it should be because that's the way it currently is.

That's a pretty finite hair you're splitting there.

And I didn't say that the way it is is the way it should be because that's the way it currently is. Maybe if you actually bothered to read my arguments instead of creating a straw man to beat up, we'd get somewhere.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If you actually want to change opinions, you can start by addressing this post, that lays out my argument pretty well. Otherwise you're just complaining to complain.

No it isn't, my argument is based on the principle that teams within a division share a schedule that is extremely similar and that tells us which team is better, but teams from different divisions play schedules that are so dissimilar that you can't really know that a team that finishes second in a division is better than another team that finished first in their division.

Now, this season, it's pretty safe to say that Seattle is a better team whoever ends up winning the NFC East. However, more often it's not nearly that cut and dried. Were the 2013 Saints, who finished second in their division at 11-5, really better than the 10-6 Eagles, who won their division? Well they went to Philly and won, so it's safe to say yes. But what about the 2012 season, when the 11-5 second place Colts had to go to Baltimore to play the 10-6 Ravens, were the Colts a better team? Probably not, because they got their doors blown off.

I don't like the idea of a 10-6 division winner giving up a home game to an 11-5 wild card team when that 11-5 team may have played a much easier schedule. This season, the AFC East is playing both the NFC East and AFC South, the two worst divisions in football. It's very possible that the Jets finish with a better record than whoever wins the AFC South, and for the sake of argument let's say that's the Texans. But are the Jets really better than the Texans? The Texans already beat them once this year. Why should the Texans have to go on the road in the playoffs and play the Jets, who they already beat?

It's much easier to just reward teams that win their division with a home playoff game. Then a wild card team with a good record can either show that their record was inflated with an easy schedule, or that they were truly the better team.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WHEN you play a team matters. WHERE you play a team matters. So no, a list of similar teams doesn't equate to a shared schedule. Pretty much every serious NFL fan knows this.

But anyway, let's just move on. I got nothing personal against you -- we just disagree on this subject, no big deal.