• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So which hole do we try to fill with our top 5 pick at the end of the year?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't even realiZe. That's the funny part.

You told a guy what he could and couldn't talk about. You became "insert name here". The guy who hated you for stating your opinion.

Oh man, this could be a few people.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smitty, You've always been cool with me......Have a good evening. Nite.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still can't believe Mayhew passed on Taylor Lewan and Aaron Donaldson for a TE when he knew he could lose Suh and already wasn't sold on Reiff.

Is that bad scouting, or Mayhew just doing whatever he wants despite scouting?

It was Mayhew doing what Lombardi wanted. Lombardi was the OC of a team that had Jimmy Graham, and he and/or Mayhew were convinced that Ebron had a skill set similar to Jimmy Graham's. Clearly bad scouting there.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bishop,

I have been saying this for a long time. Rieff is not a blind side guy IMO.

It's also time for me to give up on Reiff. He was dang good last year. His weaknesses are showing this season for a zone scheme. Can't defend him any longer on it.

With that said, I do think he can still defend the blind side in a power scheme. Completely different world there.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he can play it but he'll top out as mediocre. He'll never be "good" at it. If the best player on the board isn't an LT then I won't be upset if we have to go into next season with Rieff at LT but an upgrade would be best for the team and the player.

Get a OC who has a power scheme. Otherwise Reiff is not your LT.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe if we still have the top D, our O isn't out there trying to force things so much. The best thing for an O is a great D.

Rob this is a very true statement. In the Lions case though...The defense even with the beast would still suffer from spending to much time on the field. It would be a better defense yes, but still hard to be great when your offense punts on 15 of 20 drives and the other five are turnovers.

Last year turnovers were minimal. This year, not so much. At least there won't be a thread tallingbough Staffords turnovers way down this year.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh man. Mergegate was epic, because I had to get the mods to give me power, knowing full well the shit storm it was about to cause.

I had a lot of focus back then.

I for some fucked up reason defended you during that. What was I thinking? :facepalm:

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@broncosmitty
I left Don Kelly alone. He's already sang Happy Trails on his MLB career.

I will tell ya that Zach Rabbit had a terrible debut for his first career start. It will be harder to screw with you on Zenner cause I like the kid.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's also time for me to give up on Reiff. He was dang good last year. His weaknesses are showing this season for a zone scheme. Can't defend him any longer on it.

With that said, I do think he can still defend the blind side in a power scheme. Completely different world there.

You are probably right. He would be adequate most likely. I dont want adequate. I want an O-line that is more than that. Does not have to be the best in all facets but a little more than just solid in all.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are probably right. He would be adequate most likely. I dont want adequate. I want an O-line that is more than that. Does not have to be the best in all facets but a little more than just solid in all.

Everyone was drooling over the Cowboys line last season. Loosing Coach Callahan and Murray is showing a little more than not this year. You really look around the league. Seems bad OL play is a epidemic this season.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone was drooling over the Cowboys line last season. Loosing Coach Callahan and Murray is showing a little more than not this year. You really look around the league. Seems bad OL play is a epidemic this season.

I look at O-line as 1 unit. The individual players do not have to be superstars, they just need to function well as a unit. Defense is the same way with the possible exception of CB. Certain schemes force them to play on an island which means they need to be good. Still there are schemes that can be implemented to mask that.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@broncosmitty
I left Don Kelly alone. He's already sang Happy Trails on his MLB career.

I will tell ya that Zach Rabbit had a terrible debut for his first career start. It will be harder to screw with you on Zenner cause I like the kid.
Don't you out that hate on me Ricky Gandy, don't you do it.

Look what happened to our Tigers without DK. First to worst. First. To. Worst.

If ya ain't first Yer last. And well, we really were last.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't you out that hate on me Ricky Gandy, don't you do it.

Look what happened to our Tigers without DK. First to worst. First. To. Worst.

If ya ain't first Yer last. And well, we really were last.

We got a kid at work named Ricky. Just a good ole backwards ass hillbilly. Good kid, just those Arkansas genes weren't friendly to him. I called him Ricky Bobby day one and five years later he is still known as such.

He did not like it at first, so I told him his other options were Gump and Radio.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes perfect sense. Extra money not given to Suh instead went to guys like Tulloch, Mathis and Pettigrew.

The Pettigrew signing was horrible. Nobody was giving that bum 4 million a year except mini-Millen.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We got a kid at work named Ricky. Just a good ole backwards ass hillbilly. Good kid, just those Arkansas genes weren't friendly to him. I called him Ricky Bobby day one and five years later he is still known as such.

He did not like it at first, so I told him his other options were Gump and Radio.
Shake N Bake!

(Ricky Booby as whatever Borats real name is says it.)

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said earlier, years of bad drafts masked by Suh, Calvin and Stafford finally caught up to Mayhew with Suh gone and Calvin aged.

That really sums it up.

I wish I could agree, but you are talking about the Lions as if last year was the norm, instead of an anomaly. We faced a Giants team without Odell Beckham. We faced Minnesota twice without Adrian Peterson and with a rookie QB. We faced Arizona with Drew Stanton at QB. We faced Chicago on the road with Jimmy Claussen at QB. Look at the rest we faced -- Kyle Orton in his 1st start in a couple years. Josh McCown with the Bucs. Geno Smith.

Detroit defense was very good last year, but average against very good teams. Their best game of the season was week 3. They caught every break possible last year and still couldn't win the division.

Do I think Suh would make the Lions defense better? Absolutely. He knows the scheme and the players around him. Do I think Suh would have changed the outcome of this year through 5 games? No. Levy would still be hurt. Tulloch would still look a step slower. Mathis would still look his age. Our offensive line would still be one of the worst in the league. Our QB would still be throwing interceptions. Our offense would be leading the league in fumbles.

Detroit is still pressuring the QB. They are still getting sacks. Teams are picking apart the Lions over the middle of the field and with no Levy and Tulloch not being able to cover anybody -- It wouldn't matter. The one team who ran the ball on the Lions was Adrian Peterson, who has always run the ball on the Lions, so it isn't something new. Arizona did last week, but from watching the game back -- it seemed as if the defense gave up once the offense decided they wanted to see how many times they can turn the ball over in one game.

I know you love Suh. We all loved having him on the Lions. He is not and will never be worth 19 million dollars a year. You see what happened in Miami when you don't have players with the proper skill set surrounding him. Miami is going to have to bring in players with the skill set to take advantage of having Suh at DT. That takes money. That is why you didn't see teams lining up to sign Suh. Everyone would love to have him, but every would love to have him as the highest paid DT, as that is what he plays.

Sorry for the book. I just wanted to explain myself.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was Mayhew doing what Lombardi wanted. Lombardi was the OC of a team that had Jimmy Graham, and he and/or Mayhew were convinced that Ebron had a skill set similar to Jimmy Graham's. Clearly bad scouting there.

Soooo...Xanders had nothing to do with this?