• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So thug is a purely racist term now?

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Link?

Because you are clearly seeing info that I haven't come across yet.

"I didn't think there was any malice or intent behind it to upset us or anger us," said Kevin Love. "Obviously it wasn't good, the reaction after the fact. But at the end of the day as a person, he's a good man. He misspoke. He owned up to it and came in here and apologized this morning and now we move on."

"This is all about taking accountability," added forward Larry Nance Jr. "Had he ran from it, it'd be one thing. But he apologized to us individually, apologized to us as a team today. We all make mistakes."
Why the hell should he have to apologize unless they made it a racial thing?

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just my opinion.

Yeah... in this day and age... a person of the world has got to know that that word is loaded. A head coach of a NBA team has got to know that that word is loaded.

So Beilein stepped in it.

That being said... I do sympathize for Beilein primarily because of his age. I think it is harder for older folks to be on top of stuff like that. And in the world we live in... where every thing we say and do can be instantly dissected and analyzed and all over the world in a moment... it kind of sucks that a guy who has worked with people of every color for decades has to go through a trial by mob over the crime of "RACIST!".

Like I said, JMO. I have no idea what's in Beilein's heart...

... but I hate how stuff like this is handled. I hate how we have to walk on egg-shells around each other...

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
everything and everyone is racist

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why the hell should he have to apologize unless they made it a racial thing?
He didn't have to apologize. But, he chose to.

Did you read the article or just skim the headline?

No player approached him.

No player leaked it to the media.

The coach did all that himself AFTER his assistants brought it to his attention.

I don't see thug as racial. But, I do see it as a derogatory term.

You could replace the word Thug with bitch, bastards or dicks, it would still be unprofessional and offensive.

If I had to guess, that's why he apologized.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could replace the word Thug with bitch, bastards or dicks, it would still be unprofessional and offensive.
no it isnt interchangeable as those insults unless they make it that way....we will have to disagree on that

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no it isnt interchangeable as those insults unless they make it that way....we will have to disagree on that
Who is " They"?

Where is the quote that any Cleveland player said it was racial?

We're they taken aback?

Probably.

But, I'm pretty sure they'd be just as taken aback if he said they were playing like a bunch of bitches.

The Cavs have been a shit show all year. You asked Why did He need to apologize?

He apologized because he wants to keep his job.

If I inadvertently called someone a name, I'd say my bad.

It could be my boss, the cashier at Wal-Mart..wouldnt matter.

That's common decency.

Not sure what there is to disagree on.

Last edited:

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What player complained about what he said? I have not heard one player say anything. Not their fault, but blame the black guys for not saying anything or making it an issue. LOL
You know exactly why the dude gave his "tearful" apology. If no one was complaining then why did he apologize to them? Don't be a fool.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Link?

Because you are clearly seeing info that I haven't come across yet.

"I didn't think there was any malice or intent behind it to upset us or anger us," said Kevin Love. "Obviously it wasn't good, the reaction after the fact. But at the end of the day as a person, he's a good man. He misspoke. He owned up to it and came in here and apologized this morning and now we move on."

"This is all about taking accountability," added forward Larry Nance Jr. "Had he ran from it, it'd be one thing. But he apologized to us individually, apologized to us as a team today. We all make mistakes."
You just showed above that the players felt like they needed an apology because they made it a racial issue. You don't need a link. Nance showed you with his absurd comment above.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You just showed above that the players felt like they needed an apology because they made it a racial issue. You don't need a link. Nance showed you with his absurd comment above.
Where did he say racial?

You are projecting.

Saying that he met the controversy head on, instead of pretending it didn't happen, does not equate to saying it's racist.

When Draymond called Durant all kinds of bitches and then apologized, did he do it because it was racist?

No.

He did it because it was offensive.

Offensive and racist are not the same.

Calling me a bitch, offensive.

Calling me a n-word bitch, racist.

Both can call for a apology if unwarranted.

I'm on board with the narrative that some of the media are trying to make this something that it's not.

But, as usual, you are talking out of your ass when you try to lay it at the feet of his players.

These are his own words. No player said a single thing to him. He initiated the discussion and he brought it to the media.

"Yesterday in a film session, I used a word -- I meant to say 'slug' and 'thug' came out,'" Beilein said. "It was brought to my attention a couple hours later. I called all the players afterwards, explained the situation. We met about it today, I apologized about it today as well. It was never intended and I think the players understand that now. It's something I have to learn from."

Last edited:

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where did he say racial?

You are projecting.

Saying that he met the controversy head on, instead of pretending it didn't happen, does not equate to saying it's racist.

When Draymond called Durant all kinds of bitches and then apologized, did he do it because it was racist?

No.

He did it because it was offensive.

Offensive and racist are not the same.

Calling me a bitch, offensive.

Calling me a n-word bitch, racist.

Both can call for a apology if unwarranted.

I'm on board with the narrative that some of the media are trying to make this something that it's not.

But, as usual, you are talking out of your ass when you try to lay it at the feet of his players.

These are his own words. No player said a single thing to him. He initiated the discussion and he brought it to the media.

"Yesterday in a film session, I used a word -- I meant to say 'slug' and 'thug' came out,'" Beilein said. "It was brought to my attention a couple hours later. I called all the players afterwards, explained the situation. We met about it today, I apologized about it today as well. It was never intended and I think the players understand that now. It's something I have to learn from."
You can't possibly be that obtuse. You know exactly what Nance and his ilk meant. If the tern were not associated with the ***** community he would not have even mentioned it.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't possibly be that obtuse. You know exactly what Nance and his ilk meant. If the tern were not associated with the ***** community he would not have even mentioned it.
yes nance isnt saying coach is taking accountability for a mispronunciation is he....

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You have to know that this shtick doesn't work on me....lol

Your whole Neanderthal persona is your go to when people call you out on your nonsense.

Carry on...

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes nance isnt saying coach is taking accountability for a mispronunciation is he....
Dude, we are having a pretty civil debate, even if we vehemently disagree on the topic.

Don't piggy back on this fuckery.

There is no need to try and use trigger words to derail the conversation.

We are all familiar with this Montalban tactic. He uses it every time he gets called on his nonsense.

It doesn't work on the NBA board.

NorEEzta

Behold: A Pale Horse
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FIFU

And if your post was your truly your experience and not just another lie from you, I questioning the people you hang out with. I've never heard anyone use the term at a POC more or less than any other punk looking kid. But then again, neither have you.
He's deliberately dishonest and intellectually disingenuous. He stokes racism where it hardly exists and ironically doesn't see the racism (or does) in his actions, triggering miniorities to jeopardize their livilihood while he choreographs it from his couch.

Just ignore.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, we are having a pretty civil debate, even if we vehemently disagree on the topic.

We are all familiar with this Montalban tactic. He uses it every time he gets called on his nonsense.

i dont know Montalban but i do know that you quoted what nance said...ill civily counter that you want the players to be blameless in this flare up and while their actions as a whole arent nearly as culpable as the medias this story didnt emerge out of nothing

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The word itself isn't inherently racist per se. But it is often used in highly questionable situations.
A lot of white Americans see a young black male in a hoodie and call him a thug for no reason other than being a young black man in a hoodie.
Link?

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like you. You seem like you have a good head on your shoulders.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont know Montalban but i do know that you quoted what nance said...ill civily counter that you want the players to be blameless in this flare up and while their actions as a whole arent nearly as culpable as the medias this story didnt emerge out of nothing

It didn't emerge out of nothing.

It emerged because the Coach told the media.

How we got from that to " fuck the players" is what I'm debating.