• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So thug is a purely racist term now?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FIFU

And if your post was your truly your experience and not just another lie from you, I questioning the people you hang out with. I've never heard anyone use the term at a POC more or less than any other punk looking kid. But then again, neither have you.

Da Fuq? Ankle bite someone else.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t even see the word ‘thug’ as offensive. It’s based on a persons behavior rather than race or religion. Nothing to do with the color of someone’s skin.

The only reason someone would be offended by this word is if they’re specifically looking to be offended.

Yes and no.

I don't think it's particularly racist, but I can see how some might take it that way.

Hoodies, especially oversized ones, have become part of what gangs wear. Gangs, in general are thugs. So, if someone is wearing a type of clothing that is generally affiliated with what gangs wear, some folks are going to at least wonder if they are "thugs" or not.

Having said that, white gangs, Mexican gangs, Asian gangs, etc. all wear hoodies too, as do a lot of "Anti-Fa" idiots. I've seen all of them described as thugs as well. So, in general, it does seem to be more about the hoodie than the race of the person wearing it.

But, I can also see where someone from a predominantly black neighborhood, who hasn't seen a lot of folks from other races called "thugs" because they were wearing a hoodie, would think it was about their race rather than what they're wearing.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's called a generalization. You came into this thread and decided to call me out and demand I prove a generalization. Then you decided to tell me your life experience in an attempt to dismiss my generalization.

I don't want there to be any racism in this country. And I often think that there are people that accuse people of racism unfairly. I also think that African-American culture often perpetuates with bigotry with how it has responded to it. As an example I think that the use of the N word by black people perpetuates bigotry.

But I also understand that there IS a lot of bigotry in this country. When I talk to my black friends and they talk about how they are constantly pulled over whereas I've been pulled over one time in the last 20 years.

Maybe you really have lived a special life in which no one says anything racism in front of you. No one ever makes a racist joke. No one ever uses racist stereotypes. I can't speak to your life. But in my experience the people that make those claims simply choose to ignore or not notice when those things happen. Because people don't want to come to terms with the history of country and the realities of living in a multi-ethnic society. To each their own.

First of all I didn't demand anything from you, I simply asked you how you could know that, part of the problem is people saying things like "a lot" of these people do this when it's simply not true.

Can we stop calling black folks African-Americans and just call them Americans? Unless you were born in Africa and moved here and became a citizen you are just an American like the rest of us! Stop treating black folks different that in itself is racist!

I absolutely agree a lot of the hatred white on black is culture, people hate what they don't understand or are afraid of but racism exists on both sides and needs to be addressed and it's not, no racism is acceptable!

I literally don't have any white friends, all my friends are black or Hispanic and none of them talk to me about being treated unfairly by police officers, maybe it has something to do with where I live now but if you obey the law and don't act like a POS when you are pulled over you will soon be on your way.

Racist jokes? lolzzz I was in the military of course I heard racist jokes and all races stereotype, that is not something exclusive to white folks.

I'm curious as to what you mean by come to terms with our countries history but I am NOT demanding you answer me.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not racist.

But, it is used unnecessarily at times when describing people of color, people with tats or people who dress a certain type of way, even if they are educated, don't have a criminal record and are otherwise respectable individuals.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we stop calling black folks African-Americans and just call them Americans? Unless you were born in Africa and moved here and became a citizen you are just an American like the rest of us! Stop treating black folks different that in itself is racist!

There's nothing wrong with being called an African-American, much like I have no issues being called an Asian American. Here's the thing about race, imo, we don't crave for people to be "color-blind" and not see our race. What we want is for people to see it and accept it. As an Asian, I'm very proud of my heritage and cultural background, however I'm also 100% American.

There's nothing wrong with an identifier, so long as the identifier isn't used to slight or aggravate someone. You should see that I am Asian and an American. Doesn't have to be one or the other.

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's nothing wrong with an identifier, so long as the identifier isn't used to slight or aggravate someone. You should see that I am Asian and an American. Doesn't have to be one or the other.
I see your point. Interestingly, I have rarely heard (except in jest) Caucasians referred to or refer to themselves as European Americans. I can understand the potential and inherent reason for this perceived (by me at least) racial exception.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all I didn't demand anything from you, I simply asked you how you could know that, part of the problem is people saying things like "a lot" of these people do this when it's simply not true.

I absolutely agree a lot of the hatred white on black is culture, people hate what they don't understand or are afraid of but racism exists on both sides and needs to be addressed and it's not, no racism is acceptable!

I literally don't have any white friends, all my friends are black or Hispanic and none of them talk to me about being treated unfairly by police officers, maybe it has something to do with where I live now but if you obey the law and don't act like a POS when you are pulled over you will soon be on your way.

Racist jokes? lolzzz I was in the military of course I heard racist jokes and all races stereotype, that is not something exclusive to white folks.

I'm curious as to what you mean by come to terms with our countries history but I am NOT demanding you answer me.
Do the black people you know refer to themselves as black or African American?

I personally don't use the term AA for myself. But, I leave it to each individual to decide for themselves.

You are correct. Racism goes both ways. I'm black, my husband is Latino, my children are Blaxicans. But, one of them looks white. We get more shit from black people than all other races combined.

Just last week, I was taking my kids and their friend to the movies and got pulled over in a very affluent area " For making a wider than necessary" turn.

I was in the front and all the kids were in the back.

3 cop cars boxed me in and the officers approached every window of my vehicle.

I gave him my license, insurance, registration. After he ran me, he realized my plates were confidential and came back to the LAPD, which my husband retired from.

After apologizing profusely, he told me why he really pulled me over.

They had been having problems in the area with fake lyft/uber drivers robbing people.

He saw a black person in the front, what he thought was 3 non-blacks in the back and he didn't see the required signage.

That's the 3rd time that's happened to me in 4 years.

I'm a good citizen, served my Country, spent 14 years on the force myself.

But, I still get racially profiled.

Could that be a reason people behave like a piece of shit when being targeted?

I don't report other cops. But, you bet your ass I curse them the fuck out after they give up the game.

Know why they don't taz, shoot nor arrest me?

Because I'm lucky enough that my word is just as good as theirs.

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone should move this over to the Political Forum and watch those demonic and or pagan animals tackle this question with the typical intelligence normally showcased there.

Or whatever.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone should move this over to the Political Forum and watch those demonic and or pagan animals tackle this question with the typical intelligence normally showcased there.

Or whatever.
I haven't read all the way thru the thread.

But, it looks like it's been pretty civilized.

I don't know who made the thread. But, if we stray over into the racial/religious/political spectrum, we keep it brief and mostly civilized.

If not, @trojanfan12 will shut that shit down with the quicks.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's nothing wrong with being called an African-American, much like I have no issues being called an Asian American. Here's the thing about race, imo, we don't crave for people to be "color-blind" and not see our race. What we want is for people to see it and accept it. As an Asian, I'm very proud of my heritage and cultural background, however I'm also 100% American.

I guess we differ here because the only race I want people to see when they look at me is human race, we should all want to be identified by who we are not what we look like, our color/race doesn't define us. Identifiers are unnecessary and are only used to separate ourselves from each other.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am not speaking for every American. I made a generalization based on my personal observations and conversations I've had with AAs.

Are there Irish-Americans? Are the Italian-Americans?

No question that bigotry and racism are not exclusive to any racial group.

A lot depends on where you live.

I would never suggest otherwise.

Understand how our history has impacted our current culture.

In some ways this country is far beyond where other countries in terms in race relations since we've been dealing with it longer than most countries. But we have a lot to overcome still.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do the black people you know refer to themselves as black or African American?

Depends on their age but in my experiences mostly black.

Unfortunate that happened to you but it's the exception not the rule.

In my opinion there is never a good reason to behave like a piece of shit.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I blame bone thugs n harmony.