• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So thug is a purely racist term now?

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cant remember if I said back then but I think I did, Michigan is a better job than the Cavs. Besides, who hires a 66 year old to their first ever NBA HC position?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have lived here 50+ years as well and i've lived all over the country and I have had zero conversations about black guys in hoodies but apparently you have had enough of those conversations to say "A LOT of white Americans do that, I guess I stand corrected.

I'm sure you've never dealt with race issues, certainly not in a negative way, in your entire life.

It must baffle you why so many others seem to obsessed with it given how it has had no impact on your life at all.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cant remember if I said back then but I think I did, Michigan is a better job than the Cavs. Besides, who hires a 66 year old to their first ever NBA HC position?

What??? You don't want a grandfather figure for your young NBA players to look up to? I'm hoping that the Warriors hire Hubie Brown.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could very well be. Just backs up my theory that a black guy coined that phrase first.

So, unlike the N-word which was made up by white people to call black people in a derogatory way, the word “thug” can’t be conceived as racist.

As far as modern use of the word thug in our country, I think it was actually the Clintons and some prominent black leaders who started throwing the word thug around in reference to crime that was happening in black communities. I think even Bill Cosby got in on it.

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:stephena:fucking snowflakes...just be honest and say you hate your head coach already
Attention snowflakes! The following words are now racist:

Notebook
Hubcap
Celeri
Shower
Clock
Pavement
Brussels Sprouts (Compound racist term)
Coffee
Ink marker (horrible compound racist term) E.g. You're a fucking ink marker and don't belong here.

Now let's see what happens.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are a player and you take offense to this, than you are an idiot.

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure you've never dealt with race issues, certainly not in a negative way, in your entire life.

It must baffle you why so many others seem to obsessed with it given how it has had no impact on your life at all.

You sure do assume a lot. I have dealt with my share of racial issues since I was a kid I just don't paint with a wide brush like you seem so comfortable doing. I was in the military and i've lived in NYC, Virginia, Mississippi, Florida, Minnesota, Michigan, California and Texas. In my experiences there's no where near as much racism as you want there to be. What baffles me is how anyone could be such a self-righteous a-hole.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely nothing but he brought race into it, I am a "White American" when I see someone walking around with their hoodie up I think they are either cold or wanna be left alone, their race doesn't matter.
When I see a person walking around with their pants hanging down, I think they are a moron, no matter, the race, creed, or gender.

miah

Well Hung Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The word itself isn't inherently racist per se. But it is often used in highly questionable situations.

A lot of Americans see a young punkish looking male in a hoodie and call him a thug for no reason other than being a young man in a hoodie.
FIFU

And if your post was your truly your experience and not just another lie from you, I questioning the people you hang out with. I've never heard anyone use the term at a POC more or less than any other punk looking kid. But then again, neither have you.

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I see a person walking around with their pants hanging down, I think they are a moron, no matter, the race, creed, or gender.

If they knew where and why that started they might not do it.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Attention snowflakes! The following words are now racist:

Notebook
Hubcap
Celeri
Shower
Clock
Pavement
Brussels Sprouts (Compound racist term)
Coffee
Ink marker (horrible compound racist term) E.g. You're a fucking ink marker and don't belong here.

Now let's see what happens.

Pavement?!?

Its sidewalk, you foreign scum!!!

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You sure do assume a lot. I have dealt with my share of racial issues since I was a kid I just don't paint with a wide brush like you seem so comfortable doing. I was in the military and i've lived in NYC, Virginia, Mississippi, Florida, Minnesota, Michigan, California and Texas. In my experiences there's no where near as much racism as you want there to be. What baffles me is how anyone could be such a self-righteous a-hole.

It's called a generalization. You came into this thread and decided to call me out and demand I prove a generalization. Then you decided to tell me your life experience in an attempt to dismiss my generalization.

I don't want there to be any racism in this country. And I often think that there are people that accuse people of racism unfairly. I also think that African-American culture often perpetuates with bigotry with how it has responded to it. As an example I think that the use of the N word by black people perpetuates bigotry.

But I also understand that there IS a lot of bigotry in this country. When I talk to my black friends and they talk about how they are constantly pulled over whereas I've been pulled over one time in the last 20 years.

Maybe you really have lived a special life in which no one says anything racism in front of you. No one ever makes a racist joke. No one ever uses racist stereotypes. I can't speak to your life. But in my experience the people that make those claims simply choose to ignore or not notice when those things happen. Because people don't want to come to terms with the history of country and the realities of living in a multi-ethnic society. To each their own.

iliketrees

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This spawned on social media imo.

10 or so yrs ago when I lived in Milwaukee, I'd see local news affiliates' stories about random crimes on facebook. If the perp was a white dude (the story almost always had a pic), there was little interaction in terms of comments/likes/shares.

If it was a black dude the numbers were high, probably the highest of any topic including sports. Thug was probably the most commonly used term.

Of course thug fit the situations-these were criminals. But its usage seemed one-sided. Milwaukee is also the most segregated city in America so I'm not sure how common this was elsewhere.

Then it trickled into everyday life like sports. Marshawn Lynch hates the media, thug. Richard Sherman, thug, etc, even though these guys were millionaires with no crime history or thug behavior. Any guy who didn't act like an angel (Russell Wilson for ex, not that there's anything wrong with that) and spoke his mind and was black was a thug.

Folks took notice.