• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So I'm reading some articles on ESPN.com

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sayers was the better runner and Payton the better football player. Much like AP is the better runner and Forte the better football player.

Was he really? I just… I don't see where. He certainly never had seasons "running" like Walter did.

Walter went for 1850 yards in a 14 game season. Sayers best was 1200 or 1300? I believe. Better runner? Why?

This is all bull shit. It's just a hip "contrarian" opinion to have, and old timers think it makes them sound smart. Like they know something we can't, but it's bull shit. Not to mention, most of the Sayers hype is him talking himself up.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Literal mental retardation.

That is all I have to say. We've been through this. Sayers numbers at his best doesn't compare to Walter in something like 9 different seasons.

You will only EVER hear this opinion from old timers who want to trick themselves into thinking they're "one upping" those youngsters, who "just never saw what they did".

Billy Sims… when is the last time you heard that name in NFL lore? Oh yeah… never. The guy who literally had the EXACT same career as Gale Sayers, and went for more yards in fewer seasons. Having two seasons better than Sayers ever did within a decade of Sayers on similarly shit teams. Who also had his career end early because of an injury.

Billy Sims NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Gale Sayers NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

What a crock of shit this "Sayers is the greatest Bears RB" crap is. Bunch of want to contrarians.

It's like… I wouldn't be such a dick, but it's such pro-found absurdity. It's not even CLOSE. Not even AT ALL.

Heh, we have certainly had this discussion before and you won't convince me with all your statistics. I know your feelings about the subject and respect that. Neither would be a bad option to start a team with from the RB position. And yes I remember Sims.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was he really? I just… I don't see where. He certainly never had seasons "running" like Walter did.

Walter went for 1850 yards in a 14 game season. Sayers best was 1200 or 1300? I believe. Better runner? Why?

This is all bull shit. It's just a hip "contrarian" opinion to have, and old timers think it makes them sound smart. Like they know something we can't, but it's bull shit. Not to mention, most of the Sayers hype is him talking himself up.

Both were A plus HOF players. I go by eye and not stats. Sayers was faster and more elusive, Payton is my alltime fav Bear. Yours too I take it.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sayers was the better runner and Payton the better football player. Much like AP is the better runner and Forte the better football player.

I tend to agree. But Sayers was so much fun to watch. Just wish I could've watch him a few more yrs.