• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Easy to Hate/Blame/Clickbate Article: Jay Cutler

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that football season is fast approaching the internet and sports publications are flinging out their usual lists of rankings and predictions. The July prediction notes are quickly gobbled up and consumed by football fans in need of something, ANYTHING to talk about and focus on.

The Quarterback position is always going to be debated and dissected as it should be. Last years performance will dictate where some rankings will befall players, as it should be... In the case of our Chicago Bears one name will elicit a very loud and profound round of boos, name calling and disgusting comparisons to wife beaters, drunk drivers, cheaters and the like. Players that deserve the "Team Killer" moniker. By reading some of these clickbate articles many, not in the know, would come to believe that yes Jay Cutler is in fact the devil.
He's Not.

The latest and loudest trend seems to focus on two things: The fallout of coaching/GMS around Jay the past few years, and his contract.

Let's get the contract out of the way... Yes it's a lot of money. Yes, in his first year of the deal his team didn't play up to the contacts worth. But I always come back to this: It's the price of QB's in the NFL. The number of above average to mediocre NFL QB's signing monster contracts like the one Jay signed is the norm. The average Joe who makes 40K a year is of course going to be pissed about this ungodly amount of money, to play a game... I get it, it's a lot of money. But there isn't a person alive on this planet who, if given the offer, would say...Nah I don't think I'm worth that much. I don't fault Jay Cutler or any professional athlete from signing any of these deals they are presented. But flip it...think of it this way... If the rest of the world operated like Pro Sports contracts...and the BEST "teacher" or Truck driver or grocery store stock boy was offered 40k a year... would you think: Yes I'll take 13k or would you try to get as much as you can? Yep thought so. Also- It's not your money. You are not paying him out of your pocket. Also...nobody is writing article after article about how "James the stock boy" is the worst stock boy in the grocery game...look at all those dented cans!!

The Coaches/Gm's:
Chicago has had some awful hirings in the past decade. It hasn't worked out. The past two GM's couldn't draft to save their jobs.
Jerry Angelo left the job just 4 seasons ago... He's only got ONE player still on the Chicago Bears roster: Matt Forte. That's it... ONE. When many people believe that a draft pick needs at least 3 seasons to see what they become our former GM doesn't have any left. FIRED for cause... Is that Jay Cutlers fault?
Phil Emery lasted 3 drafts... In those drafts he's been better, but not by much, the top two picks in each of his 3 drafts should now be bonafide starters...but there is still question marks. The back end of drafts should fill out the rosters with contributors and roll players- but they don't. Alshon Jeffery & Kyle Long are key members of this team... that's about it. The jury is still out on Kyle Fuller with hope.

Lovie Smith was a good coach who couldn't get over his ego or lack of ability to find a workable offense- firing OC's in 5 of his 9 seasons. He's also the guy that believed that Devin Hester was a #1 WR. Cutlers fault.
Marc Trestman was an experiment gone wrong. Lack of accountability with off field issues and zero backbone to change what needed to be changed *defense? This is the guy who allowed a WR to travel weekly to be on tv, rotated captains, didn't disciple anyone for locker room outbursts or actions that destroyed team moral. And failed to fire or disciple an asst. coach who we now know to be a complete DBag.

The Quarterback position is an important one. No doubt... but they can't control everything. Jay Cutler needs to play better for sure... but come on.

C

cubzzzfanincali

OK, I'll eat the worm.

There's zero question that there are worse people - as humans - in the NFL than Jay Cutler. He isn't a bad guy.

But the argument above is intellectually dishonest. The criticism of Cutler isn't that starting QBs cost a lot of money so his contract is by default not a basis for criticism. Nor does it have anything whatsoever to do with jealousy. The author is just being a lazy jerk when he tries to use that tactic. I don't bemoan anyone anything that they are successful and make a lot of money. Good for them. I'm not one of these Occupy disphits.

If Jay Cutler consumed a huge chunk of the Bears salary cap room and produced commensurately, good for him, give that man $100 million in endorsement money on top of his deserved salary, atta boy Jay. But he isn't. Or at least hasn't. It's fine to pay a lot of money for an elite QB, or to use less of your salary cap space on a lesser, midgrade QB and have a strong roster elsewhere. But what kills teams is when they pay elite money for the most expensive position in the game and they don't meet that performance. Sure, other teams do it too. But Carolina overpaying Cam Newton does not mean that the Bears were justified in overpaying Cutler. That isn't an argument. Overpaying QBs is a team killer, no matter what the team. If you pay elite money, you better damn well earn it.

And the GM thing. Sure, Angelo (and Emery) were not very good drafters, but both guys went out and got some good players in free agency. Jay Cutler has not been surrounded by a dearth of talent his whole time here. Sure, we had bad receiver years, and we've had some bad O line years, but there have also been years where he had an excellent supporting staff.

Everything bad Bears is not Cutler's fault. But saying he is above criticism is absurd. He deserves the criticism. He has been part of the problem. A big part of the problem.

OK, by now, I am on the side of the boat and you can scoop me into the net.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Headlines and articles like:

NFL: Is Jay Cutler in Danger of being Cut by the Chicago Bears?
NFL: Is Jay Cutler in Danger of Being Cut by the Chicago Bears? - Part 2

Cutler Draws Negative Reaction in New Quarterback Rankings
Cutler Draws Negative Reaction in New Quarterback Ranking | NBC Chicago

Not to mention
  • the references to Brandon Marshall's bitter childish twitter comments (or lack of comments)
  • Jay's Wife's comments about "Chicago's not home" somehow being a Chicago Bears problem?
  • Laughing at "Jay's signed football doesn't sell at auction"
  • Repeated stat lines about interceptions when nobody talks about Philip Rivers matching #
  • Repeated remarks about winning percentages when nobody comments on worst defense in franchise history.

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fish-bait-21152474.jpg

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My goodness…

Can we please not do another one of these threads. Please, PLEASE, OH DEAR LORD F'ING PLEASE… Let's not.

How many times do you folks on each side of the argument have to do this? It's the same damned thread… over… and over…… and over.

Rust Cohle was right… Time is a flat circle, at least on the sports SportsHoopla Chicago Bears message board.

"In the sports SportsHoopla Chicago Bears eternity... where there is no time, nothing can grow. Nothing can become. Nothing changes. So… the Jay Cutler thread created time, to grow the posters that it would kill... and you are reborn... but into the same Jay Cutler thread that you've always been born into. I mean, how many times have we had this conversation, my fellow Bears fans? Well, who knows? When you can't remember your lives, you can't change your lives, and that is the terrible and the secret fate of all life. You're trapped in that Jay Cutler thread… like a nightmare you keep waking up into."

C

cubzzzfanincali

My goodness…

Can we please not do another one of these threads. Please, PLEASE, OH DEAR LORD F'ING PLEASE… Let's not.

How many times do you folks on each side of the argument have to do this? It's the same damned thread… over… and over…… and over.

Rust Cohle was right… Time is a flat circle, at least on the sports SportsHoopla Chicago Bears message board.

"In the sports SportsHoopla Chicago Bears eternity... where there is no time, nothing can grow. Nothing can become. Nothing changes. So… the Jay Cutler thread created time, to grow the posters that it would kill... and you are reborn... but into the same Jay Cutler thread that you've always been born into. I mean, how many times have we had this conversation, my fellow Bears fans? Well, who knows? When you can't remember your lives, you can't change your lives, and that is the terrible and the secret fate of all life. You're trapped in that Jay Cutler thread… like a nightmare you keep waking up into."

I don't know what this longwinded post had to do with the fact that Cutler is an overpaid albatross, but I am happy that it kept the thread alive.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rich...welcome to the offseason abyss. Ha nice clip- still haven't seen that show.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know what this longwinded post had to do with the fact that Cutler is an overpaid albatross, but I am happy that it kept the thread alive.

Lol… Just sick of going in circles with the Cutler conversations. If you haven't seen the show, you wouldn't understand the analogy.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rich...welcome to the offseason abyss. Ha nice clip- still haven't seen that show.

Swing and a miss on the analogy I suppose. Makes zero sense out of context, but I tried. lol

I guess another Cutler thread is better than nothing.

I have a gut feeling Jay has a great year, but it's nothing more than that. I've already explained why I feel that I can no longer defend his performance.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that football season is fast approaching the internet and sports publications are flinging out their usual lists of rankings and predictions. The July prediction notes are quickly gobbled up and consumed by football fans in need of something, ANYTHING to talk about and focus on.

The Quarterback position is always going to be debated and dissected as it should be. Last years performance will dictate where some rankings will befall players, as it should be... In the case of our Chicago Bears one name will elicit a very loud and profound round of boos, name calling and disgusting comparisons to wife beaters, drunk drivers, cheaters and the like. Players that deserve the "Team Killer" moniker. By reading some of these clickbate articles many, not in the know, would come to believe that yes Jay Cutler is in fact the devil.
He's Not.

The latest and loudest trend seems to focus on two things: The fallout of coaching/GMS around Jay the past few years, and his contract.

Let's get the contract out of the way... Yes it's a lot of money. Yes, in his first year of the deal his team didn't play up to the contacts worth. But I always come back to this: It's the price of QB's in the NFL. The number of above average to mediocre NFL QB's signing monster contracts like the one Jay signed is the norm. The average Joe who makes 40K a year is of course going to be pissed about this ungodly amount of money, to play a game... I get it, it's a lot of money. But there isn't a person alive on this planet who, if given the offer, would say...Nah I don't think I'm worth that much. I don't fault Jay Cutler or any professional athlete from signing any of these deals they are presented. But flip it...think of it this way... If the rest of the world operated like Pro Sports contracts...and the BEST "teacher" or Truck driver or grocery store stock boy was offered 40k a year... would you think: Yes I'll take 13k or would you try to get as much as you can? Yep thought so. Also- It's not your money. You are not paying him out of your pocket. Also...nobody is writing article after article about how "James the stock boy" is the worst stock boy in the grocery game...look at all those dented cans!!

The Coaches/Gm's:
Chicago has had some awful hirings in the past decade. It hasn't worked out. The past two GM's couldn't draft to save their jobs.
Jerry Angelo left the job just 4 seasons ago... He's only got ONE player still on the Chicago Bears roster: Matt Forte. That's it... ONE. When many people believe that a draft pick needs at least 3 seasons to see what they become our former GM doesn't have any left. FIRED for cause... Is that Jay Cutlers fault?
Phil Emery lasted 3 drafts... In those drafts he's been better, but not by much, the top two picks in each of his 3 drafts should now be bonafide starters...but there is still question marks. The back end of drafts should fill out the rosters with contributors and roll players- but they don't. Alshon Jeffery & Kyle Long are key members of this team... that's about it. The jury is still out on Kyle Fuller with hope.

Lovie Smith was a good coach who couldn't get over his ego or lack of ability to find a workable offense- firing OC's in 5 of his 9 seasons. He's also the guy that believed that Devin Hester was a #1 WR. Cutlers fault.
Marc Trestman was an experiment gone wrong. Lack of accountability with off field issues and zero backbone to change what needed to be changed *defense? This is the guy who allowed a WR to travel weekly to be on tv, rotated captains, didn't disciple anyone for locker room outbursts or actions that destroyed team moral. And failed to fire or disciple an asst. coach who we now know to be a complete DBag.

The Quarterback position is an important one. No doubt... but they can't control everything. Jay Cutler needs to play better for sure... but come on.

Yeah yeah yeah..... Buddies of mine think I'm way over paid and I will take what they give too,buuuut, getting paid is different than the NFL..... My boss does not have a salary cap that needs to be abided by.
so it does not hinder the company ability to hire better workers as it does in the NFL.......

That's the way I think of lousy contracts........

And you're right.....qbs don't control everything, last I knew they don't play defense....... But I sure do hear lots of excuses for our qb every year.
Why don't we have any for our defense?

Just sayin.........

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a gut feeling Jay has a great year, but it's nothing more than that. I've already explained why I feel that I can no longer defend his performance.

That is my biggest fear, Fox sets up a great run attack with a down field passing counter, Jay excels and the Bears keep him.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defending his performance may be a thing of the past, even for me... But understanding it and not just pissing on Jay Cutler all the time is something that can change.
Defense is a *major reason Jay Cutler doesn't have a similar Win/Loss record as Russell Wilson.

The soon to be top paid QB in the league (until Luck signs his extension) wouldn't be anywhere if he were playing with the 2012-14 Chicago Bears Defense.

C

cubzzzfanincali

That is my biggest fear, Fox sets up a great run attack with a down field passing counter, Jay excels and the Bears keep him.

I'm not afraid of Jay Cutler excelling. That would be fantastic. It's just not happening.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah yeah yeah..... Buddies of mine think I'm way over paid and I will take what they give too,buuuut, getting paid is different than the NFL..... My boss does not have a salary cap that needs to be abided by.
so it does not hinder the company ability to hire better workers as it does in the NFL.......

That's the way I think of lousy contracts........

And you're right.....qbs don't control everything, last I knew they don't play defense....... But I sure do hear lots of excuses for our qb every year.
Why don't we have any for our defense?

Just sayin.........

That's kinda my point- The "excuse" of our defense is It's JAY's Fault!! To the non Bears fan and ESPN talking head- they only focus on Jay. Nobody mentions the franchise worse D the past two years. That's the excuse. And many who don't follow the Bears always go by that Chicago is known for defense! So it can't be that! Free pass for the D. And that pisses me off.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's kinda my point- The "excuse" of our defense is It's JAY's Fault!! To the non Bears fan and ESPN talking head- they only focus on Jay. Nobody mentions the franchise worse D the past two years. That's the excuse. And many who don't follow the Bears always go by that Chicago is known for defense! So it can't be that! Free pass for the D. And that pisses me off.

Clicked in on the kliq to see what kind of circle jerk was happening for the training camp threads, see if Joey reported on how many times Jay texted his team mates with wake up calls on day one, see if he stopped any of his team mates from tripping on their shoelaces, maybe some fashion critique on their midrifts, you know, Leader stuff, and nothing but Joey chumming the waters for more Jay hate.

Joey, stop hating the players, hate the decision the organization made to LOSE their defensive identity and invest in an offense to outscore other teams and choosing Jay Cutler as that poster boy. Get that fact thru your hard head, its not all about Jay, its about losing the team identity. Big money defensive players were swapped for big money offensive players. Lazy Bennett and head case Marshall given the defensive money. More money was spent on the offense than any other team in the league.

You should be busy preparing more excuses for your spank bank and the offense. Great quarterbacks make no named receivers better. Great receivers make mediocre passers better. Great receivers getting beat in the ribs because they have to jump for every pass get hurt and pissed and turn on said quarterback.

Yeah, its the same thing over and over, just like we get from you.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey AI... How's your summer going?
Report from the chummed waters (<that's gold btw) Jay has yet to throw a pick all of camp! Nice!

Defense & Bad Coaching is why Bears sucked the past two years. Simple.
Smiley face!

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huge news out of New York Jets camp: quarterback Geno Smith out 6-10 weeks after linebacker IK Enemkpali punched him in the face in the locker room. Smith has a broken jaw; he will require surgery.
Head Coach Todd Bowles described Smith as being "cold-cocked, sucker-punched, whatever you want to call it." He said the argument between the two was over "a very childish matter, something two sixth-graders could've handled."
Just another day in the NFL...

*Hint hint*

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's Marshall's gonna do now? Ha.
Also:
Cutler on reducing turnovers in camp
*Still no picks for Jay through camp! Could change on Thursday night...hope not, cause I'm loving this *and everyone here should be too.
:yes:

C

cubzzzfanincali

Marcus Mariota hasn't thrown any either. I guess Cutler/Mariota > Andrew Luck, who threw 3 yesterday.

Camp interceptions are completely meaningless. Come talk to me when he does something in the regular season.