• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

some of Jaylon Smith Scouting reports on BTB

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all honesty nothing has changed. He injured his knee in January. No-one except Jaylon really believes he could play this year. Best thing he can do is rehab as thoroughly as possible, soak up practice from the sideline - get mental reps, sit in those position meetings and ask questions, watch loads of film and pray that nerve regenerates by the end of the year. The decision to draft him when we did is water under the bridge. No need to keep revisiting that and make this kid feel like an unwanted outsider.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all honesty nothing has changed. He injured his knee in January. No-one except Jaylon really believes he could play this year. Best thing he can do is rehab as thoroughly as possible, soak up practice from the sideline - get mental reps, sit in those position meetings and ask questions, watch loads of film and pray that nerve regenerates by the end of the year. The decision to draft him when we did is water under the bridge. No need to keep revisiting that and make this kid feel like an unwanted outsider.
Well said Husker !

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well said Husker !
I gonna second what PDay said.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not expect even one down this year from him. The concern over his draft spot wasn't as much the red shirt year as it was the possibility he NEVER plays. So If you told me he would be 100% 365 days from today I would be ecstatic and call the move an A+ even without playing this year. Many 2nd rounders need a year to learn and don't really fill much of a role until year 2. So if he comes back year 2 and makes an impact it's almost like we really didn't lose much at all anyway. With him it's all about the floor and the ceiling. the floor is he never steps on the field even once. The ceiling is he is an absolute super star. Time will give us the answer

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not expect even one down this year from him. The concern over his draft spot wasn't as much the red shirt year as it was the possibility he NEVER plays. So If you told me he would be 100% 365 days from today I would be ecstatic and call the move an A+ even without playing this year. Many 2nd rounders need a year to learn and don't really fill much of a role until year 2. So if he comes back year 2 and makes an impact it's almost like we really didn't lose much at all anyway. With him it's all about the floor and the ceiling. the floor is he never steps on the field even once. The ceiling is he is an absolute super star. Time will give us the answer
I'm rooting for the kid, one, because he seems like a great person, and two, because it will be hysterical to watch all the people who said it was the worst move ever to suddenly be like ''I said it was a great move to draft him all along''....never fails

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm rooting for the kid, one, because he seems like a great person, and two, because it will be hysterical to watch all the people who said it was the worst move ever to suddenly be like ''I said it was a great move to draft him all along''....never fails

Of course I am rooting for the kid. He's a Cowboy. Nuff said...

Still, even if this move does work out eventually, those who are calling this a risky/bad pick aren't wrong. You shouldn't be drafting lottery tickets at the top of the second round - bad process.

tylerTX88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a lose big, win big scenario. If he hits and I hope he does, it will be great.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he turns out to be what the scouts think he is, the pick can be considered a trade of a 2nd for next year's 1st, if he never recovers it a bust of a pick.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jaylon Smiths job is to rehab his knee and learn the Cowboys defense no more no less. If the rehab gets him to the point where he can play this year awesome but unlike Jerry Blue colored glasses Jones I don't expect it.

Get healthy Jaylon that's the priority.

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't know much about Smith to be honest, lol base on the varied opinions and his college reputation a Healthy Smith is an Elite player who we wouldn't have ever had a shot at.....Unless we would have passed on Zeke. For me this was a bad pick for Dallas, because this team has many needs especially on defense. Jerry continues to make these bargain picks and only get marginal returns. Maybe if we were a Team like
Denver, Seattle, or Carolina this would be a luxury pick and this gamble would be less risky based on the roster that already exist. It seems that the Cowboys believe this kid will play at some point this season because he's not being put on IR. I hope im forced to eat these words and this kid ends up being the next Patrick Willis. Cheers to being wrong, I hope.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't know much about Smith to be honest, lol base on the varied opinions and his college reputation a Healthy Smith is an Elite player who we wouldn't have ever had a shot at.....Unless we would have passed on Zeke. For me this was a bad pick for Dallas, because this team has many needs especially on defense. Jerry continues to make these bargain picks and only get marginal returns. Maybe if we were a Team like
Denver, Seattle, or Carolina this would be a luxury pick and this gamble would be less risky based on the roster that already exist. It seems that the Cowboys believe this kid will play at some point this season because he's not being put on IR. I hope im forced to eat these words and this kid ends up being the next Patrick Willis. Cheers to being wrong, I hope.
Every NFL fan wanted Smith on their team. the issue was WHEN. We certainly went there earlier than most fans thought and possibly early than most teams wanted to (who knows for sure). we all know the concerns, but my issue with the Smith move isn't the Smith move (as if that makes any sense). The issue to me is it seems every year we make same kind of moves with more risk than other teams are willing to take on. Sometimes they pay off and sometimes they don't. We took a TE that never played football and a guy that may never play again. This is after seeing the injuries pile up year after year and we still take guys that only dropped because of injury in the first place who continue to get hurt throughout their careers (like Lee). So it will be easy to point to the Smith move as a great or horrible one in retrospect based on what he does in the next couple of years. My issue is more do we always have to be a team drafting the high risk/high reward players? You can make an argument either way, but if you do want to do it then you can't complain when guys go down with injuries or turn into Isiah Stanback.

IMO Smith is a tough call. I absolutely love the potential and the upside but fully understand the downside. I'm not going to say I don't like the pick or think it was a mistake because something inside of me says he walks out of the tunnel with the starters week one of next year and makes Jerry look smart, but I'm also not going to jump up and down and say we outsmarted other teams for the reasons many have already pointed out. As Colors said, he only has to get healthy and learn the play book. We can't get the draft pick back so let's root for a guy that seems to be a high character player with plenty of upside

tylerTX88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as Jerry is in the big chair we will have these picks to discuss. It's kind of in his dna, he's an oil man after all.
He still gets a thrill out of drilling where other guys won't. He has a thing for these injury guys that drop. It's his trip to the dollar store. Last year we got hit with big injuries. More than other teams? I don't know. Every team gets whacked some time. But we do have several guys that gets hurt often. Some of them were hurt in college too.
It's just jerry's thing we have to live with it til he's gone.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just read his injury isn't healing as expected from Cowboy superfan Shango. I think it was a great pick. They took a win now player in Zeek and a win in the future pick in Smith. Smith was phenomenal in college and would have been a top 10 pick.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just read his injury isn't healing as expected from Cowboy superfan Shango. I think it was a great pick. They took a win now player in Zeek and a win in the future pick in Smith. Smith was phenomenal in college and would have been a top 10 pick.
OK, I'll bite. What is the official word on how it's supposed to heal? Only solid story I've heard is he won't be ready until 2017 unless you're listening to Dr. Jerry.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowboys Second-Round LB Jaylon Smith Unlikely To Play In 2016, No Improvement To Damaged Nerve
Nate Bouda 6 hours ago Cowboys 0 Comments

ESPN’s Ed Werder reports that Cowboys second-round LB Jaylon Smith has experienced “no significant improvement” in his damaged nerve.

According to Werder, it’s unlikely Smith will play at all during the 2016 season.

Even so, the Cowboys are still confident that Smith will eventually play, and when he does “he’s going to have a 10-year career; we just don’t know when it will start,” per Werder.

Joel Corry points out that if Smith spends his rookie season on the non-football injury list, he won’t get a year of service for free agency, which means he would be a restricted free agent in 2020.

There were obvious concerns about Smith’s knee and how it would affect his NFL career leading up to the draft.

An NFL GM told Werder that it’s “50/50 he ever plays.” Meanwhile, an AFC head coach told Werder of Smith: “[He] will play again. Not this year. Probably not exact same level.

Smith, 20, was taken with the No. 34 overall pick by the Cowboys a few weeks ago. So much was made about the condition of Smith’s knee and how it could impact his NFL career, but the Cowboys still felt comfortable enough about his future to use their second-round pick on him.

Before he suffered the serious knee injury at end of last year, Smith was considered a to be a top-five selection, so if he’s able to return to form, the Cowboys could be looking at a blue-chip player in the middle of their defense for years to come.

According to OverTheCap.com, Smith receives a four-year contract worth $6,494,972 to go along with a signing bonus of $2,923,616.

During his college career at Notre Dame, Smith recorded 284 tackles, 23.5 tackles for a loss, 4.5 sacks, three forced fumbles, three recoveries and 10 pass defenses for the Fighting Irish over the course of three years.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, I'll bite. What is the official word on how it's supposed to heal? Only solid story I've heard is he won't be ready until 2017 unless you're listening to Dr. Jerry.

BMurph answered it above. Shango posted that it hasn't improved as expected similar to the article above. So sad that it happened in his last game.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BMurph answered it above. Shango posted that it hasn't improved as expected similar to the article above. So sad that it happened in his last game.
I know it has been answered, but other than a few hopeful wishes, reports are and have been Smith will not play until 2017. When 2017 gets to be in serious question then you gave a story.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he turns out to be what the scouts think he is, the pick can be considered a trade of a 2nd for next year's 1st, if he never recovers it a bust of a pick.
I think this is how you have to look at it. If the Cowboys had traded this years 2nd rounder for someones 2017 1st rounder, no one would have complained. If Smith makes a full recovery, he would be worthy of being #1 overall, which would be worth both Dallas #1's next year in that scenario, It's glass half full, but it's also the truth. And if he doesn't...well, 2nd rounders bust all the time anyway...