• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why the Rams NEED to draft Watkins

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay - I count SJ, Clayton, ksu, blue, and myself on the Sammy freight train! The train doesn't pull out for another seven weeks or so. All aboard?

I'm on the Sammy train as well. Unless they trade down too far and miss him, of course.

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry jacobarch! Your the train conductor!

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
chooo choooo
trainwreck.gif

BOSS429Mustang

Politically Incorrect
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I may be the only dissenting vote, but I think drafting Watkins, although he is probably the best WR in the draft, is like giving a diamond ring to a gorilla. It won't make a difference in our offense. Shottenheimer and wennie boy wouldn't know what to do with offensive talent if it bit them on the buttocks. I think we should make every pick defense and just punt whenever we get the ball.

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I may be the only dissenting vote, but I think drafting Watkins, although he is probably the best WR in the draft, is like giving a diamond ring to a gorilla. It won't make a difference in our offense. Shottenheimer and wennie boy wouldn't know what to do with offensive talent if it bit them on the buttocks. I think we should make every pick defense and just punt whenever we get the ball.

So in other words you think we're going to have the #1 offense in the NFL next year? Sweeeeeeeeet!

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get Watkins and bring in a rookie to push Sam. The offense will get better. Can't get any worse!

If Sam sucks, bring in the back-up. At least you know what your QB can do and you know where to go..

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boss - Sammy to Sammy = TD

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You are not the only one Boss.

As much as I like Watkins, I just don't think he's going to make a difference until the Oline and Bradford get fixed.

Our Oline is great at run blocking, but terrible at pass protection. Until that is fixed, Watkins will be a waste just like Tavon was last year. Remember all the stories we heard from OTA's and training camp about how the offense would open up with Tavon and Co?

What happened? The team sucked for the first 4-5 games until they realized our Oline is only good at run blocking. Then, they changed to a power run offense and the team looked much better.

What makes all you guys think Watkins is going to make a difference? Is he going to play on the Oline and help pass protect? Because until that Oline can pass protect for longer than 3 seconds, Watkins can't catch passes with Bradford on his back.

As for Bradford, the guy locks onto one receiver waaaay too much. Until he learns to go through his progressions, he's going to lock onto Watkins, Austin or Givens and forget the other two- thus negating the other receivers effectiveness.

Like I said, until the Oline and Bradford are fixed, Watkins will be a waste in StL.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I like Watkins, I just don't think he's going to make a difference
until the Oline and Bradford get fixed.

Isn't that what free agenct and the draft are for? Plugging holes? I think they are well aware of fixing the O-line so Bardford doesn't get hurt. Again.

But it sure would be nice to see a QB scramble and make plays, while being smart about it.

BOSS429Mustang

Politically Incorrect
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just think our strength is defense at this point. I didn't think in today's NFL that you could win consistently without a good offense, but Seattle proved that wrong last year. No matter how much offensive talent we accumulate, having Shottenheimer in charge of it is like handing your Maserati keys to the valet guy. We can win with a crushing defense, and with Williams now the defensive coordinator, and the talent we already have, if we just continue to strengthen that area and play ball control offense like last year that seems to be the formula for success for this team. Until we get a decent QB and continue to work on the OL in later rounds, we're putting premium spark plugs in a Yugo.

If Shottenheimer would have had Curt Warner at any point, Warner wouldn't even be qualified to go back to bagging groceries---he'd probably be handing out smiley stickers at Walmart afterward.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle also has a beast RB or 2 and a very smart, mobile QB that makes QUICK decisions.

Russell doesn't look cross-eyed and in slow-mo.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't copy the mold of another team. You take your own strong points and build on them. Sure you might take something from the Seawags. I agree we need to add to the defense, but that doesn't mean we have to neglect an offense that has struggled with getting 1st downs for years.

Don't forget people.

BOSS429Mustang

Politically Incorrect
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know SJ. If the Rams draft Watkins of course I'll root for him, or whoever they draft for that matter. They know what they're doing more than the rest of us (allegedly anyway)

The only thing we are certain of at this point is uncertainty. You can go to any mock draft of your choice and find one that supports your opinion right now, it's just so all over the place. I even saw one today that had Greg Robinson being drafted #1, and one mock that had us picking him at #2. I would be very disappointed if we drafted any OL at #2. This is all probably mute though because I sincerely think the Rams are going to trade down if they have even the slightest opportunity to do so. Officially I'm on record as being an advocate for drafting Clowney if we stay at #2.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we are fast becoming a hybrid of the '85 Bears and the Ravens that won the superbowl with Trent Dilfer at QB. It is the best that Fisher can do because he knows no other way to build a team apparently. I fully expect us take Clowney and Dix and then peter away the rest of the picks with offensive players that are just good enough to get our offense on the field long enough to give the defense a breather and perhaps score a TD or two. Sammie has been given an ultimatum and we shall see how he responds but don't expect much because Fisher apparently doesn't. The days of the GSOT are only going to reside in our memories and will not be used as a comparison template for this draft under this coach and GM.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no certainty our offense would be good if we drafted Watkins, Lewan, and another OG later in the draft either because our QB has not been consistent. But that doesn't mean you don't add pieces to the weakness of your team.

Robinson is getting alot of hype. Someone will reach for him early, but I have no idea who that will be. He needs to learn pass protection, I can tell you that much.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we are fast becoming a hybrid of the '85 Bears and the Ravens that won
the superbowl with Trent Dilfer at QB.

Funny Retro. That was my plan almost 4 years ago when we were all debating SUH vs. Bradford with the #1 pick. We were so bad and all I wanted was to get a game managing QB, add some beast RBs, and build a stout defense that punished people. Almost an exact opposite of the GSOT. The greatest D every assembled!

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't that what free agenct and the draft are for? Plugging holes? I think they are well aware of fixing the O-line so Bardford doesn't get hurt. Again.

But it sure would be nice to see a QB scramble and make plays, while being smart about it.

Yes, but the Oline got weaker during FA, not stronger.

And we all know Saffold is better at guard and as a run blocker, not a pass blocker. So, the pass protection issue with the Oline still hasn't been addressed.

The only way the Oline get fixed through the draft is to take Matthews at #2 to man LT while Long recovers and RT thereafter.

Robinson is a run stuffer but not a pass protector ( at least not yet ) and Lewan will be gone before #13. Anyone else will be projects, not immediate starters. The Rams need starters.

You take Watkins with the first pick and the Oline doesn't improve right away. It becomes a 2-3 year project and Watkins is wasted.

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, but the Oline got weaker during FA, not stronger.

And we all know Saffold is better at guard and as a run blocker, not a pass blocker. So, the pass protection issue with the Oline still hasn't been addressed.

The only way the Oline get fixed through the draft is to take Matthews at #2 to man LT while Long recovers and RT thereafter.

Robinson is a run stuffer but not a pass protector ( at least not yet ) and Lewan will be gone before #13. Anyone else will be projects, not immediate starters. The Rams need starters.

You take Watkins with the first pick and the Oline doesn't improve right away. It becomes a 2-3 year project and Watkins is wasted.

I don't consider losing out on arguably the two worst Guards in the NFL last year a bad thing. We retained saffold and Jones should be a nice upgrade. So I don't share your opinion. I also think you need to check your stats on Saffolds Run vs. pass defense. he was great in both per profootballfocus. You have to realize no Oline is perfect. You can't have every piece be a probowl caliber player. It just doesn't happen and if it does you lose those players to FA every time they're up for contract. We'll fill the holes via draft and FA. Just stay patient.

bluepigpen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone think that Fisher and Snead are going to draft #2. I don't and never have. I would draft Watkins because he is the best offensive player on the board. Defense is not the Rams problem, yes we do need to get a safety, OLB depth, but the problem has been and continues to be, scoring points. retro brings up Shotts, I agree he is weak, but a OT, OG and passing on Watkins doesn't help that. Trading down is what I believe they do but to think we could actually get the best offensive player on the Rams sounds nice as the next few years roll around. At some point we need to score or forever be in last place and although the strength is always the oline, weapons and a 80 yard dash are needed also for wins.