• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

so are TCU/WVU to the b12 officially busts now?

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't speak for WVU, b/c I know nothing about their situation. Baylor had more political clout than TCU did when the Big 12 was formed, plain and simple. Had nothing to do with the school itself.

the b12 bought the naming rights to the big 14 & big 16. so obviously they were considering expansion. plus you had colorado who only joined the b12 on a 5-4 vote. so its pretty obvious that the prospect of including other schools wasnt exactly unheard of at the time. new mexico for example was said to be one of the more likely candidates. heck some could even argue that the b12 didnt even want tech/baylor and the only reason they got in was because of politics

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the b12 bought the naming rights to the big 14 & big 16. so obviously they were considering expansion. plus you had colorado who only joined the b12 on a 5-4 vote. so its pretty obvious that the prospect of including other schools wasnt exactly unheard of at the time. new mexico for example was said to be one of the more likely candidates. heck some could even argue that the b12 didnt even want tech/baylor and the only reason they got in was because of politics

Texas, A&M and TTECH were invited to create the Big 12. The other 2 schools to decide on were TCU and Baylor. Baylor got the nod b/c the governor at the time (Ann Richards) was a BU alumni and lobbied to get BU in over TCU.

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas, A&M and TTECH were invited to create the Big 12. The other 2 schools to decide on were TCU and Baylor. Baylor got the nod b/c the governor at the time (Ann Richards) was a BU alumni and lobbied to get BU in over TCU.

texas politics are texas politics......but most of the news clippings that ive seen from that fiasco point to the b12 being more interest in byu/new mexico to get to 14

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TBH i always thought the b12 wanted only 3 texas schools, with new mexico in baylor's spot

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
texas politics are texas politics......but most of the news clippings that ive seen from that fiasco point to the b12 being more interest in byu/new mexico to get to 14

BYU and UNM were never in discussion to join the Big 12 back when all of this started in 1992. Not sure where you got that from??? It was the old Big 8 and 4 Texas schools.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BYU and UNM were never in discussion to join the Big 12 back when all of this started in 1992. Not sure where you got that from??? It was the old Big 8 and 4 Texas schools.

Look at who you are talking to.

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LATEST RUMOR: BIG EIGHT TARGETS Y., NEW MEXICO | Deseret News

if you dont believe the b12 was set on just a b8 + 4 swc schools merge and that they seriously considered other options than answer these two questions for me......

1. why did the b12 buy the naming rights to the big 14 & big 16

2. why did colorado approve joining the b12 by only a single vote?

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i dunno dude.....

a actual news article with multiple sources including 1 named doesnt sound like speculation/rumors to me

and please answer those two questions for me then. specifically why the b12 bought the naming rights to b14 & b16

NativeWebfoot

Live to race-Race to live
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before Utah's win last week vs Stanford, both the Utes and Colorado could see the door for all I care. But Utah win over Stanford gave them a little respect of welcome to the PAC, Colorado can still GTFO
I'm a little more patient and think it takes a few years to get a coach that knows how to adapt the existing players into a system that they can win in. It takes another few years of recruiting and coaching up your incoming recruits into more of the type of system the coach really wants the team to run. It's a gradual process that requires patience on the part of the coaching staff as well as the school's AD. Whether it's TCU and WVU to the Big 12 or Utah and Colorado to the PAC 12.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see WVU as a desperate move by the BIG XII.

TCU made sense due to regional concerns and yea i believe market value played its roll. Texas was locked up then A&M left, the BIG XII had to recoup some of those lost viewers and TCU was a hot ticket, having come off a rose bowl win.

WVU was the odd man out of the Big East crumbling so it was an easy PR move for both parties. Easy for the Big XII not to get rejected publicly by their real wants and easy for WVU to not get embarrassed getting drop to a mid major conf.

Both additions were basically timing to address immediate issues and that was getting back to 10.

Their next move will be much more calculated and they will look to add a big time program. The ACC will be the target and it will be the SEC that breaks their back when they move to match the BiGs 16 teams.

ACC is done. 2 programs to the SEC, 6 to the BIG XII and the other 4 scrubs get folded into the AAC. That's how I see it anyway.

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a little more patient and think it takes a few years to get a coach that knows how to adapt the existing players into a system that they can win in. It takes another few years of recruiting and coaching up your incoming recruits into more of the type of system the coach really wants the team to run. It's a gradual process that requires patience on the part of the coaching staff as well as the school's AD. Whether it's TCU and WVU to the Big 12 or Utah and Colorado to the PAC 12.

difference here is utah/colorado have a leg to stand on. they are natural long time rivals, im not sure about utah, but colorado has always been a western/california based school. their alumni is 3.5X larger in the pac12 footprint than the b12 footprint, and they have always had 5 california players on their roster for every texas player. this was a very good move for both of these schools and makes them competitive long term.

wvu- they have a lot of potential for the acc or sec but not in the b12. they are a total outlier stuck on an island of their own. the island concept killed miami in the BE and BC in the acc. not only that but they have zero history with the b12. before the move wvu had played a b12 team a grand total of 8 times. they are about as much of a cultural fit as aggie in the pac12. i just dont see this team competing as an island and i especially dont them (a florida based school) in a texas based conference.

look at wvu basketball. they went from a solid program to one of the worst over night. their recruiting pipelines died in an instant, the weight of all that travel time crushed their athletic performance. i see the same happening to their football program but at a slower pace

tcu- the b12 move will elevate them recruiting wise. but i see them getting beatdown having to play a full slate against a power league. my concern for them is that they have to out recruit not only texas, tech, & a juggernaut baylor program right now, but mizz, aggie, bama, lsu & the rest of the sec west. there are a lot of regional power programs with a lot more resources than tcu and i see nothing but tcu getting buried under the weight of their new competition both recruiting/national exposure as well as on the gridiron

both tcu/wvu are at the bottom of the league in BB, in FB they have below average records. these schools are in big trouble. they are not making the splash that aggie/mizz are and that should be VERY CONCERNING for b12 homers

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dunno dude.....

a actual news article with multiple sources including 1 named doesnt sound like speculation/rumors to me

and please answer those two questions for me then. specifically why the b12 bought the naming rights to b14 & b16

So they just labeled the title of the article rumors randomly?

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see WVU as a desperate move by the BIG XII.

TCU made sense due to regional concerns and yea i believe market value played its roll. Texas was locked up then A&M left, the BIG XII had to recoup some of those lost viewers and TCU was a hot ticket, having come off a rose bowl win.

i half agree. i think it was more the b12 wanting to have a 4th texas school for
1. giving the non texas schools that texas pipeline for recruits
2. giving texas the political power within the b12 by having 4 schools that will vote their way

WVU was the odd man out of the Big East crumbling so it was an easy PR move for both parties. Easy for the Big XII not to get rejected publicly by their real wants and easy for WVU to not get embarrassed getting drop to a mid major conf.

Both additions were basically timing to address immediate issues and that was getting back to 10.

total desperation move on wvu's part. the funny thing is that had they waited a few months, they would of gotten into the acc over louisville

Their next move will be much more calculated and they will look to add a big time program. The ACC will be the target and it will be the SEC that breaks their back when they move to match the BiGs 16 teams.

IMO theres no one they can raid thats worth adding. their best options out of the few they have are.....
CSU as a building project
rice to stabilize the conference academically
byu/af to get a national brand
cincy to close the wvu island
ucf/usf to help wvu build back their FL recruiting base

ACC is done. 2 programs to the SEC, 6 to the BIG XII and the other 4 scrubs get folded into the AAC. That's how I see it anyway.

i think these poaching the acc rumors are nothing but crackpipe dreams by delusional b12 homers. the acc is a better conference in terms of stability, markets & academics. no teams jumping ship. if you couldnt get clemson/fsu/miami/gtech before, theres no way you are getting them now, now that they signed a gor, raised the exit fee, and included notre dame/louisville

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So they just labeled the title of the article rumors randomly?

a major newspaper (at the time) put the name of the BYU vice president as a source..........

i think its safe to say the article is legit

and fyi the b12 did indeed buy those naming rights during the formation of the b12

so obviously some part of these rumors have weight to them

tech_iceman

#winning
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
those two teams are garbidge... they couldn't even beat Texas Tech

undefeated against those faggots :dance:

NativeWebfoot

Live to race-Race to live
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I agree that WVU is out on "an island", they can still recruit from where they prev recruited. I can see your point in the extra travel time to in conf games as a detriment. In TCU's case, their recruiting field hasn't changed at all and being a Texas school, they have only to adapt to being in an AQ conf.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like i said it will be the SEC to break the ACC. They can do it. That will allow the BIG XII to move in as the only option. The pitch will be uniting Texas and Florida athletics in the same conference.

It's bound to happen. The SEC will move to 16 schools and they will take ACC programs. Most likely some Carolina schools.