• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Smith passer rating on the day

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
127.2. I've said it in an earlier thread, but given his guts in wanting to come back, etc., I would love for one of the story lines in the NFL to be how he finally is reaching his potential with the right coaching.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
127.2. I've said it in an earlier thread, but given his guts in wanting to come back, etc., I would love for one of the story lines in the NFL to be how he finally is reaching his potential with the right coaching.

I think I'm the lone supporter in QBR as of now, but if it's done right Alex Smith should have a rating of about 60 (Give or take 5 points).

Passing rating is a moot stat to me.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was gonna start a thread for this but it will fit in with yours....

Say Alex Smith continues playing the way he is playing right now. We win the division with 11 wins. Does Smith deserve another contract??

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Prime in the back ready to takeover if needed, it puts drafting a QB down the list IFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF Smith continues his stellar play.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Say Alex Smith continues playing the way he is playing right now. We win the division with 11 wins. Does Smith deserve another contract??

I would say yes. At worst it buys time to bring Kaepernick along. With a division win, the earliest we will pick is 21st which puts us out of reach of Luck/Jones/Griffin/Barkely in all likelihood. That allows us to address either CB or OT in the first.

If one of those QBs is there and we want to pull the trigger, we can. I'd still re-sign Smith for 2 or 3 years.

I also don't think it would be difficult to bring him back. He's shown a lot of loyalty to the organization. That's the main reason I happy to see him playing well.

bing_blunt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
We have to wait and see what the market for Smith is. Obviously you don't want to see him leave after finally playing well and hopefully finsihing a winning season.

But he still misses a lot of throws. He's still not a QB you would want throwing 40 times in a game... if everthing stays rosey, hopefully the niners can sign Smith to a deal that only impacts the cap significantly for 3 years or so.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
And judging by last week, flawed in that aspect. Apparently Smith last week was one of the worst QBs to play.

So we're just judging it on one player, from last week, and now we're throwing the system out the window?

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I would say resign him to something in the range of 3 years if he continues to play well. I don't think he's the QB that will win the big one but he's shaping up to be someone serviceable till you can get someone to beat him out of the job.

Logically he and the offense should be even better next season with a year under his belt and a full offseason and also as long as we're not paying him top QB money (which we won't be) than it's not like we can't bench him if CK or someone else outplays him.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've been thinking about this. Alex is still Alex, we saw that a little bit today with a couple passes that could have easily been Intercepted but he finally got some luck and the Bucs dropped them.

I definitely like what Harbaugh turned Alex Smith into, he's clearly a much better QB with Coach Harbaugh than he has been in the past... so like Imac said, if anything else it gives the team more time to bring Kaepernick along.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
So we're just judging it on one player, from last week, and now we're throwing the system out the window?

I don't think it needs to be thrown out the window but it would be nice if their logic was clearer. Obviously passer rating isn't the definitive stat for QBs but at least you know a QB with a high passer rating didn't have a bad day and one with a low passer rating did and it's consistent.

But when you have a situations like last week where Smith was a 28; Kolb was a 32; and Orton had 60 something it does bring into question the process in which they come up with the numbers. I mean ask yourself out of those 3 last week who's performance would you rather have?

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It made me lose confidence in the QBR. Alex Smith wasn't the best QB last week, but he sure wasn't one of the worst. So that showed some major flaws in their formula. A better system for rating quarterbacks should never have something like that happen, where a guy throwing TD passes in a come from behind victory is considered one of the worst performances by a QB for the week.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't think it needs to be thrown out the window but it would be nice if their logic was clearer. Obviously passer rating isn't the definitive stat for QBs but at least you know a QB with a high passer rating didn't have a bad day and one with a low passer rating did and it's consistent.

But when you have a situations like last week where Smith was a 28; Kolb was a 32; and Orton had 60 something it does bring into question the process in which they come up with the numbers. I mean ask yourself out of those 3 last week who's performance would you rather have?

Kolb was right where he should have been.
No good answer for why Smith was rated a 28
and I didn't see Orton play last week. Maybe he played well while the game was close, but they still ended up getting blown out?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kolb was right where he should have been.
No good answer for why Smith was rated a 28
and I didn't see Orton play last week. Maybe he played well while the game was close, but they still ended up getting blown out?

He lost in a blowout, had a pick 6, lost a fumble, was only within 10 for ~ three minutes, and had a 77 (?)QBR. Something is flawed, it's not reliable. And I don't care for the "it'll even out in the end" BS. Passer rating already evens out, as well as public opinion. Why create one that is unreliable game by game and only confirms what we already know and on top of all that not tell anyone how it is formulated? Plus, reportedly removes credit to the QB when he recognizes a pass play that will get YAC (although it does treat all QBs equally unfair here).

Last edited by a moderator:

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been thinking about this. Alex is still Alex, we saw that a little bit today with a couple passes that could have easily been Intercepted but he finally got some luck and the Bucs dropped them.

I definitely like what Harbaugh turned Alex Smith into, he's clearly a much better QB with Coach Harbaugh than he has been in the past... so like Imac said, if anything else it gives the team more time to bring Kaepernick along.

But he also made some very good throws today as well. Expecting perfection is foolish on ones part.... luck is always welcome and around.

Smith, this year, only has one INT IIRC... i may be wrong?

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have to wait and see what the market for Smith is. Obviously you don't want to see him leave after finally playing well and hopefully finsihing a winning season.

But he still misses a lot of throws. He's still not a QB you would want throwing 40 times in a game... if everthing stays rosey, hopefully the niners can sign Smith to a deal that only impacts the cap significantly for 3 years or so.

If he makes the right throws, then why not?

But i agree a complete passing first attack which requieres a high volumne of attempts isn't good for Smith.

Lucky for Smith, he plays with Harbs and has two good RBs behind him.