• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Smith passer rating on the day

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
127.2. I've said it in an earlier thread, but given his guts in wanting to come back, etc., I would love for one of the story lines in the NFL to be how he finally is reaching his potential with the right coaching.

He has become the one guy on the team they cannot replace. Some of that is because the backup is so bad but still Smith has played very well. The only thing that could de-rail this season is a season-ending injury to Smith.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I love how the 49ers and Smith played yesterday and it is great that eh has been so efficient but he isn't the third best QB in the league just because of some formula. He has been good for the 49ers this year in a limited scheme but he isn't going to go out and get huge money being 25th in the NFL for passing yards.
I do now think he is clearly the 49ers best option at this point.

I have no idea what Kaep can become and I have a hard time believing anyone else here does either.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I love how the 49ers and Smith played yesterday and it is great that eh has been so efficient but he isn't the third best QB in the league just because of some formula. He has been good for the 49ers this year in a limited scheme but he isn't going to go out and get huge money being 25th in the NFL for passing yards.
I do now think he is clearly the 49ers best option at this point.

I have no idea what Kaep can become and I have a hard time believing anyone else here does either.

no question Alex Smith is our best option considering the CBA. but hey, thats what Harbaugh thought soon after he was hired.

yeah, Kaep won't have much game reps but thats ok.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wow.....that's a pretty useless stat. Didn't Jaws and Dilfer do a lot of the work to create this number?

I think they were involved, but to what degree I have no idea.

This QBR needs to come with a disclaimer that says: "For entertainment purposes only."

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yet their bloggers and columnists will continue to shove it down our throats at every chance.

The comments section on the intro article to this 'thing' is overwhelmed with negative comments. It's hilarious to read the espn plants try to talk it up - they don't get very far.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they were involved, but to what degree I have no idea.

This QBR needs to come with a disclaimer that says: "For entertainment purposes only."

HaHa, sounds about right. or maybe: Use only when in need of controversy

49ermann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
Smith's week 4 QBR was 28.7, which was the 26th best for the week. Smith's week 5 QBR was 98.2. That's such a huge difference. In week 4 Matt Cassel has a QBR of 68.1 which was the 11th best. He had 260 yards and one TD. Smith had 293 yards and 2 TD's. The Niners won both games, one a come form behind thriller in which Smith's second half was awesome. The other a blow out in which Smith didn't even play in the 4th quarter. QBR is just another way for the worldwide leader to feel good about themselves.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is just like the PER stat ESPN made up. It is flawed fundamentally and is useless.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is just like the PER stat ESPN made up. It is flawed fundamentally and is useless.

PER is actually not too bad when u look at players in similar positions/roles. but to use it to compare a PF to PG makes it useless

mm03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
QBR accounts for dual threat at the QB position. Tebow didn't play very much either and was leading a comeback that's why he's so high. But his #'s came out to being like 10 for 16 w/ his run plays counting for short passes @ 6 for 6 for 38 yards. I like this stat a lot because it's missing from the old system. I believe like 4 or 5 of his passes were dropped as well in his 4 for 10.

People bashing the QBR because it's values appear hidden and so off the wall some weeks but the overall list for the season looks quite good to me so far. I think certain areas need to be tweaked though because it appears if you get sacked they dock you a lot and that can be on the O-line... For instance, Alex getting like 1 second against Dallas to react before Ware comes and hits him. Also, Rodgers appears to get punished w/ the Packers having huge leads and never being in the clutch. Those two categories are the worst two I've picked up on so far though.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
QBR accounts for dual threat at the QB position. Tebow didn't play very much either and was leading a comeback that's why he's so high. But his #'s came out to being like 10 for 16 w/ his run plays counting for short passes @ 6 for 6 for 38 yards. I like this stat a lot because it's missing from the old system. I believe like 4 or 5 of his passes were dropped as well in his 4 for 10.

People bashing the QBR because it's values appear hidden and so off the wall some weeks but the overall list for the season looks quite good to me so far. I think certain areas need to be tweaked though because it appears if you get sacked they dock you a lot and that can be on the O-line... For instance, Alex getting like 1 second against Dallas to react before Ware comes and hits him. Also, Rodgers appears to get punished w/ the Packers having huge leads and never being in the clutch. Those two categories are the worst two I've picked up on so far though.

Does it not value total yards much?

I bash the formula because I can't trust math that I can't see. Of ESPN expects anyone to take it seriously they should show their work.