• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sixers and Celtics talking draft swap

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason it didn't get finalized yesterday is because the 76ers are determined to screw it up. The original deal was #3 this year, Lakers #1 pick next year and Sacramento's #1 in 2019. The 76ers decided they didn't want give up the Lakers pick next year and they can't deal their own by NBA rules. Boston said "No Deal" and now they're trying to reach some accord. Maybe #3, 2019 Sacramento and the 76ers 2020? Someone mentioned a 2021 1st Round pick.

IF I'm Ainge, I tell the 6ers to "Go Screw" and deal the pick to the Lakers for the #2 and Randle. That way the C's get Jackson and Randle, the Lakers get Fultz and the 6ers get the Ball headache.

That is way too much man.

Two high lotto picks to move up 2 spots? No way. Fultz isn't that much better.

Besides, if Woj is reporting the deal is done, then it is done.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is way too much man.

Two high lotto picks to move up 2 spots? No way. Fultz isn't that much better.

Besides, if Woj is reporting the deal is done, then it is done.

It's not "2" high lottery picks to move up 2 spots ... it's "1" high lottery pick to move up 2 spots.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not "2" high lottery picks to move up 2 spots ... it's "1" high lottery pick to move up 2 spots.

Read the post I quoted.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read the post I quoted.

"Two high lotto picks to move up 2 spots? No way. Fultz isn't that much better."

*** I did ... we're not giving two high lotto picks to move up 2 spots, we're only giving up "One" high lotto pick to move up two spots.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have cap space to do it. Just learn from the Lakers mistakes. Unless you sign an all star like Lowry, stick to short term deals for those vets so you can retain cap flexibility to sign more good players once you start winning.

Still not sure what the price should have been, but good for the 6ers that they were able to put some protections in there. Would like to see a top 3 protection on the Kings pick too, but oh well. That one could be just as valuable as the Celts' 2018 Nets pick.

Luckily for the Sixers, they don't have the same kind of pressure on them that the Lakers have. The front office that offered those bad contracts to Deng and Mozgov were trying to save their jobs essentially and they backfired. In retrospect it seems extremely stupid, given that the plan all along had to be to keep the draft pick each year if at all possible.

As far a protections go, I think they actually work for the Celtics if I read it right. They work to try to get the Celtics the better of the two picks. They get the 2018 Lakers first if it is in the top 5, otherwise they get the 2019 Kings pick. That's based on what I saw in tweets yesterday, but most stories this AM are glossing over the details of that future pick and the protections.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Two high lotto picks to move up 2 spots? No way. Fultz isn't that much better."

*** I did ... we're not giving two high lotto picks to move up 2 spots, we're only giving up "One" high lotto pick to move up two spots.

You clearly didn't read it.

The post I was replying to was saying the original deal was for the 6ers to give up #3, the Laker pick AND the Kings pick. 3 picks for 1. 2 high lotto picks to move up 2 spots. Obviously the 6ers wouldn't pay that much.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ainge should just tell them to go fuck themselves. If no one wants the pick, use it on Thursday to pick Jackson anyway. I guarantee that the 6ers or Lakers will make a better deal.

How does that make any sense? You would rather give away even protected future picks for nothing? Let the Sixers or Lakers have Fultz without a trade? I guarantee the Lakers will work a quick trade with the Sixers if Boston decides to pass on the trade and take Jackson #1. There is too much value in Fultz for the Sixers to take Jackson at #1.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You clearly didn't read it.

The post I was replying to was saying the original deal was for the 6ers to give up #3, the Laker pick AND the Kings pick. 3 picks for 1. 2 high lotto picks to move up 2 spots. Obviously the 6ers wouldn't pay that much.

I didn't know which quote you were referring to ... so yeah, if the Sixers would have given up both the Lakers 2018 pick "and" the Kings' 2019 pick it would have been too much. Thankfully it's not the case.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luckily for the Sixers, they don't have the same kind of pressure on them that the Lakers have. The front office that offered those bad contracts to Deng and Mozgov were trying to save their jobs essentially and they backfired. In retrospect it seems extremely stupid, given that the plan all along had to be to keep the draft pick each year if at all possible.

As far a protections go, I think they actually work for the Celtics if I read it right. They work to try to get the Celtics the better of the two picks. They get the 2018 Lakers first if it is in the top 5, otherwise they get the 2019 Kings pick. That's based on what I saw in tweets yesterday, but most stories this AM are glossing over the details of that future pick and the protections.

Yeah.

Pressure to win now and rebuilding are a terrible combination. Fans need to "trust the process". Unfortunately, GMs are not incentivized to rebuild the right way. Just look how the 6ers rewarded Hinkie.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah.

Pressure to win now and rebuilding are a terrible combination. Fans need to "trust the process". Unfortunately, GMs are not incentivized to rebuild the right way. Just look how the 6ers rewarded Hinkie.

Very true. Problem with the Lakers was Jim Buss leading things. Getting him out last year was key, I just hope not bringing Jerry West back to the fold doesn't blow up in their faces.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How does that make any sense? You would rather give away even protected future picks for nothing? Let the Sixers or Lakers have Fultz without a trade? I guarantee the Lakers will work a quick trade with the Sixers if Boston decides to pass on the trade and take Jackson #1. There is too much value in Fultz for the Sixers to take Jackson at #1.

I wouldn't bother with BigKen. Nothing he's posted so far holds any merit.

The other day he heard from "reliable sources" that the celtics were going to end up with Butler, Hayward and Anthony Davis.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very true. Problem with the Lakers was Jim Buss leading things. Getting him out last year was key, I just hope not bringing Jerry West back to the fold doesn't blow up in their faces.

Why would it? Jerry is a consultant, nothing more. At the end of the day, Wohl makes all the decisions.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason it didn't get finalized yesterday is because the 76ers are determined to screw it up.

The reason it didn't get finalized yesterday is because the league office is closed on the weekend.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would it? Jerry is a consultant, nothing more. At the end of the day, Wohl makes all the decisions.

I'm thinking more along the lines of the Lakers missing him. Magic and Pelinka are not exactly experienced at this, and Mitch isn't around to be a steadying force anymore.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't bother with BigKen. Nothing he's posted so far holds any merit.

The other day he heard from "reliable sources" that the celtics were going to end up with Butler, Hayward and Anthony Davis.

There's no way to get Butler and Davis, but there have been rumors about either/or with all of these draft picks. Hayward has been a long-standing rumor as a free agent (and a move I am expecting).

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So my guess is that the Celtics were always planning to draft Jackson. So why not move down 2 spots and get some more drafts they can use to trade for someone?

Pretty interesting protections on it. So the Celtics get the Lakers pick next year only if it is 2-5. Otherwise they get the Kings pick in 2019.

So the Celtics maximized their chance of getting a high pick out of it but the Sixers got #1 overall protections for next year.

IMO, people are assuming that the Celtics are going to go for PG or JB. They have so many resources right now, it wouldn't shock me if they grab someone that no one expects. I can't imagine that Anthony Davis is available but if he could be got, the Celtics have the chips to do it. They really need to get 4 or 5 more than a guard or swing player. But there aren't any great choices in this draft for big men.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for the Sixers, this is nothing short than a great trade for them. Fultz is a perfect fit for the Sixers team. Their starting 5 have a chance to be very good in a couple of seasons.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Process in action.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for the Sixers, this is nothing short than a great trade for them. Fultz is a perfect fit for the Sixers team. Their starting 5 have a chance to be very good in a couple of seasons.
It says to me celts didn't think fultz was going to be that good.