• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should Washington hire a college coach or current NFL professional as its new Head Coach?

Should Washington hire a college coach or current NFL professional as its new Head Coach?

• 1. College

• 2. Current NFL position coach

Results are only viewable after voting.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This could be attached to the "Gruden replacement thread" but I wondering which direction you all think is best for this team. Hiring a college coach or a current NFL professional coach.

We already know about the albatross that Bruce Allen is, so consider your choice based upon Allen remaining here or if there's a new GM in place.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This could be attached to the "Gruden replacement thread" but I wondering which direction you all think is best for this team. Hiring a college coach or a current NFL professional coach.

We already know about the albatross that Bruce Allen is, so consider your choice based upon Allen remaining here or if there's a new GM in place.

I think Bruce and Dan could screw up Lombardi or Belichek.

They had a guy who I think was the best coach candidate since Gibbs in Kyle Shanahan. We know how that worked out.

I am a HUGE fan of Matt Rhule. He turned a tough school to win at into a 10 win team at Temple. Then took the Baylor job after the scandal down there and has them back to a top 20 team. I don't want Dan and/or Bruce to get a chance to screw up his career.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It isn’t a matter of college or NFL position coach. It is a matter of autonomy.

The best person for our team to hire is the person Snyder will respect with the true freedom to do what he wants. This likely means somebody with a big name, a huge pay check, and the fortitude to walk into Snyder’s office and fuck off. The likelihood of this person being hired is very slim because what big name is likely to pass up the other jobs out there with owners who give autonomy at any level.

So back to the more likely scenario. We need a young, innovative coach to come in and take over. He won’t have the name recognition and power but he is going to be more sellable to the fan base. He won’t be proven because proven coaches will not want to come here and this is from any level.

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sty i chose college coach but has to be these 3
1. Lincoln Riley OU best offenseive mind around

2. Novell Memphis great Man

3. Uban Mayer = big ticket bring fans back out of the fog zone and a good coach

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm surprised this thread didn't gain more momentum. It's pretty clear the current staff are goners. If not, more incompetence from Allen. Change is coming so let's here who YOU want in here and why. What difference will YOUR choice make to improve the damn good culture already in place. You are the GM, go...

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sty i chose college coach but has to be these 3
1. Lincoln Riley OU best offenseive mind around

2. Novell Memphis great Man

3. Uban Mayer = big ticket bring fans back out of the fog zone and a good coach

The fans in Oklahoma would riot if they merely believed that Riley was being tempted to leave.

I'm not very familiar with Novell, so I'll take your word on him.

Meyer has already stated that he would take the Dallas job if it was opened and offered. I believe that the fix is already in, especially in light of recent statements by Jerrah. That said, I would be impressed if somehow Snyder landed him and do the old man, two step dance, if that included a new GM with no Bruce!:D

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a trend beginning towards college coaches or coaches who can adapt to the strengths of incoming QB's, build their offenses around said strengths and are now becoming the standard-bearers that others will copy.

What, MaHomes is doing in Kansas City, Jackson is doing in Baltimore, Watson in Houston, Wilson in Seattle and what's being attempted in Arizona, can't and won't be dismissed as unique, outliers, or unsustainable, especially in a copy-cat league. So based upon that trend, my choice is Urban Meyer.

Do whatever it takes, just get him, give him what he needs, including a GM if necessary, then get out of the way.
#FIREBRUCEALLEN!

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a trend beginning towards college coaches or coaches who can adapt to the strengths of incoming QB's, build their offenses around said strengths and are now becoming the standard-bearers that others will copy.

What, MaHomes is doing in Kansas City, Jackson is doing in Baltimore, Watson in Houston, Wilson in Seattle and what's being attempted in Arizona, can't and won't be dismissed as unique, outliers, or unsustainable, especially in a copy-cat league. So based upon that trend, my choice is Urban Meyer.

Do whatever it takes, just get him, give him what he needs, including a GM if necessary, then get out of the way.
#FIREBRUCEALLEN!

Point taken in regards to players like Mahomes, Wilson and Jackson. They are not the same player (different skill sets) though right now they are top of the league along with your favorite Mr. Cousins. All of the coaches you named are primarily pro coaches: Smith, Harbaugh, O'Brien, Carroll with the exception being Kingsbury. The college game is easier to coach than the pro game. Remember Kyle Shanahan introducing the offense? If only Robert Griffin had been Lamar Jackson or even Mike Vick. Those three are/were very similar.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see them hire somone who hasn't been a head coach at this level before...

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

#FIREBRUCEALLEN!
Unfortunately, as you pointed out in a previous post, Myer is most likely going to be the next HC of Dallas. Guess where Jason Garrett ends up? in burgundy and gold. They will build a small little desk and put it in a corner of Dan's office just for Jason. That way Dan can oversee and direct everything Jason does.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see them hire somone who hasn't been a head coach at this level before...
You mean like a Jim Zorn, Spurrier or Gruden? That hasn't worked out so well in the past. Of course hiring someone that has been a HC at this level hasn't worked out so well, either.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean like a Jim Zorn, Spurrier or Gruden? That hasn't worked out so well in the past. Of course hiring someone that has been a HC at this level hasn't worked out so well, either.

No. I mean not like that.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see the Skins hire an assistant from an NFL team. It really doesn't concern me whether they have been a HC before or not. I just tend to look to the past.

Gibbs was an assistant.
Kyle was an assistant.
McVay was an assistant.

Sure there have been plenty of examples where the assistant failed (Jay).

I just think they need to hire a GM, let him really do his homework and pluck the next guy from someone else. Maybe it's Gregg, maybe it's Eric Bieniemy. Maybe it's Richard from Dallas or the D coordinator in San Francisco.

I also think we will have a better chance getting guys like the ones I just listed than a Saban, Riley, or Sweeney.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simply put, the Skins need some proven talent at their prior job, just like I said with Kyle Shanahan when he was in Houston.

Look at Mike LaFleur who has been with Kyle in both Atlanta (even though I put that SB loss on Kyle) and in SF.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simply put, the Skins need some proven talent at their prior job, just like I said with Kyle Shanahan when he was in Houston.

Look at Mike LaFleur who has been with Kyle in both Atlanta (even though I put that SB loss on Kyle) and in SF.

Any particular candidates in mind?

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
roman could be a guy beheinemy another

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottom line:

Whoever they hire as head coach is completely irrelevant.

Until Bruce Allen is fired

A good coaching hire might gain us a win or 2 a year, but until Bruce is gone our ceiling is mediocrity.

Bruce must go.