• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should Tom Brady retire after this year for the Pats?

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all remember when Brett Farve was getting a little long in the tooth in Green Bay and had Rodgers waiting in the wings. I don't know that, had Brett not retired (then unretired, etc) and left the Packers that Rodgers would have been able to remain with the Packers. I think he would have been snapped up by someone else and GB would not be sitting pretty with one of the best QB's in the league.

I can't help but wonder if the Pats are in that same boat.

Tom is getting up there in years (37, I think) and while he can still be productive, his best years are behind him.

I could see Tom hanging on if the QB waiting in the wings was no more than a career backup but from what I'm hearing, Mallet is a strong QB ready to go. No, he's not Tom Brady but people talk like he's better than most out there.

If the Pats wait much past this year, they could lose him.

He was drafted in 2011 so he's getting near the end of his rookie contract. If the Pats don't move on him following this season, I think someone else will.

Should Brady do what's best for the Pats and retire after this season? Should he keep playing until he drops like Farve?

There's a tipping point and I think the Pats and Brady are approaching it.

Your right, some QB needy team should trade a first round pick for him before Bill signs him to a long term contract.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be interested to see what kind of year Brady has this season. He definitely showed signs of decline last season (especially in the AFC Championship game). I think part of that could be due to the lack of talent at receiver, but I also think he wasn't nearly as accurate as he was in years past. If he has a similar year or worse, I think the Patriots would be wise to move on from him and resign Mallett, if he's truly as good as a lot of people seem to think he is.

I look for them to showcase Mallet in preseason in hoping someone makes a decent offer for him, then he's gone. Garrapolo is the heir apparent to Brady. They didn't pick him in the 2nd round to sit behind Mallett.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is ridiculous to be talking like this at this point. First off one somewhat down year does not all of a sudden mean a quarterback is in decline. Peyton Manning after his neck surgeries was thought that he could never play another NFL snap. Heck a few months before the season started he could barely throw 15 yards down the field. Just this past year the come back player of the year was Philip Rivers. People were calling his career done and in decline. He gets a new head coach that knows how to use his skills and he is right back in the talk of being top-5 in the league. Heck even Brett Favre his 2nd to last year was in the MVP discussion. Yes injuries finally caught up to him but he also lost his drive to play. He didn't want to hang out with teammates, go to meetings, or hardly even practice. At that point yes it is time to hang it up.

For guys like Peyton and Tom at this point it is more about the mental side of the game than anything. They are just smarter than anybody else on the field. I look for Tom Brady to have a big time bounce back season. His WR's are no longer rookies and above all else if Gronk can stay healthy they can be one of the most dynamic offenses in the NFL.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be interested to see what kind of year Brady has this season. He definitely showed signs of decline last season (especially in the AFC Championship game). I think part of that could be due to the lack of talent at receiver, but I also think he wasn't nearly as accurate as he was in years past. If he has a similar year or worse, I think the Patriots would be wise to move on from him and resign Mallett, if he's truly as good as a lot of people seem to think he is.

Nah Tom has another good 3-4 years left in the tank and arm. You could see him jellying in second half of season with rookie WRs, and sure ,he was off too. Mallett is an unknown at this point and I could see them letting him go for a draft pick. Only reason they would waste a 2nd round pick on a QB past draft

I look for them to showcase Mallet in preseason in hoping someone makes a decent offer for him, then he's gone. Garrapolo is the heir apparent to Brady. They didn't pick him in the 2nd round to sit behind Mallett.

Exactly heat

Last edited by a moderator:

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is ridiculous to be talking like this at this point. First off one somewhat down year does not all of a sudden mean a quarterback is in decline. Peyton Manning after his neck surgeries was thought that he could never play another NFL snap. Heck a few months before the season started he could barely throw 15 yards down the field. Just this past year the come back player of the year was Philip Rivers. People were calling his career done and in decline. He gets a new head coach that knows how to use his skills and he is right back in the talk of being top-5 in the league. Heck even Brett Favre his 2nd to last year was in the MVP discussion. Yes injuries finally caught up to him but he also lost his drive to play. He didn't want to hang out with teammates, go to meetings, or hardly even practice. At that point yes it is time to hang it up.

For guys like Peyton and Tom at this point it is more about the mental side of the game than anything. They are just smarter than anybody else on the field. I look for Tom Brady to have a big time bounce back season. His WR's are no longer rookies and above all else if Gronk can stay healthy they can be one of the most dynamic offenses in the NFL.

Great post as usual CD, the thing with Peyton and Tom besides their QB iq's is that they both are pocket QB's that get rid of the ball so quick that they arent getting abused like the Ben,RG3, Vicks etc that either hang on the ball too quick .One is they don't see the field like those 2, but also because they are scramblers, they are getting crushed a lot. Both Tom and Peyton have played in every game ( talking what 16 and 13 year careers) and only being out 1 season each after major operations. Those other guys all have shorter careers and are out alot. So they can both play into their early 40's like a Montana, because of lack of physical contact and injuries

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah Tom has another good 3-4 years left in the tank and arm. You could see him jellying in second half of season with rookie WRs, and sure ,he was off too. Mallett is an unknown at this point and I could see them letting him go for a draft pick. Only reason they would waste a 2nd round pick on a QB past draft

Exactly heat

Yeah, Brady was really good missing open receivers in the AFC Championship game. Did everyone just forget about that game? :noidea:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great post as usual CD, the thing with Peyton and Tom besides their QB iq's is that they both are pocket QB's that get rid of the ball so quick that they arent getting abused like the Ben,RG3, Vicks etc that either hang on the ball too quick .One is they don't see the field like those 2, but also because they are scramblers, they are getting crushed a lot. Both Tom and Peyton have played in every game ( talking what 16 and 13 year careers) and only being out 1 season each after major operations. Those other guys all have shorter careers and are out alot. So they can both play into their early 40's like a Montana, because of lack of physical contact and injuries

Exactly correct! It is why I do think Manning plays out his contract with the Broncos (3 more years). These guys know how to protect themselves. Manning has said he actually even practices how to take a sack as even that is a skill set. He knows how to relax his body and absorb the blow. You look at some of these guys coming into the league and just not only the number of hits they take but the big bone crushing hits they take and see why guys like Newton and RGIII are already needing surgery to repair damage done during the season. This is why the pocket passer will always have a place in this league. As much as teams love the idea of a duel threat quarterback it does seem they are trying to coach that out of the player as soon as they take that first big hit. Hard to win when your star quarterback is on the sideline for half the season.

This whole Mallet thing is not what I think is the issue. I think we will still be having this same conversation for the quarterback they took in the 2nd round of this past draft in does Brady retire or move on before his contract is up? I trust Brady to last another 5 years more than I do Manning at this point.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Brady was really good missing open receivers in the AFC Championship game. Did everyone just forget about that game? :noidea:

yeah I try and block out bad games. It would be like me saying Peyton likes throwing to the other team, in SB but everyone has off games. It was one of Brady's worst seasons no doubt and he was off quite a bit, but like CD mentioned, no reason to hit the panic button. I'm sure OP knows Brady had an bad game against Pitt,It's the most points that Pittsburgh has allowed in franchise history.Brady threw for 432 yards, four touchdowns and no interceptions

Last edited by a moderator:

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah I try and block out bad games. It would be like me saying Peyton likes throwing to the other team, in SB but everyone has off games. It was one of Brady's worst seasons no doubt and he was off quite a bit

he was never really comfortable with the set of receivers last year, except the few games Gronk was back. Looking for a big turnaround this season.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he was never really comfortable with the set of receivers last year, except the few games Gronk was back. Looking for a big turnaround this season.

Hobson started holding on to ball and Tomkins should have a vast improvement. Edelman is a poor man's Welker and Amendola and Gronk, hope they last a season, doubtful though

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When is Dobson expected back for the season? Heard he had a pretty big foot surgery that is taking a lot longer to heal.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When is Dobson expected back for the season? Heard he had a pretty big foot surgery that is taking a lot longer to heal.

Good question CD , I haven't heard. But doesn't matter , because with all the weapons they have they are going 19-0 per Espn ? and Hammer. Sorry to break the news to you before the season

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hobson started holding on to ball and Tomkins should have a vast improvement. Edelman is a poor man's Welker and Amendola and Gronk, hope they last a season, doubtful though

I'd put my money on Gronk over Amendola. He is due for good luck. Amendola wouldn't know a full season if it bit him in the ass.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Correct. That's because it's simply another troll thread.

MA, have you had time to google some facts about Mallet so that you can pretend that this is actually some kind of cogent argument?

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd put my money on Gronk over Amendola. He is due for good luck. Amendola wouldn't know a full season if it bit him in the ass.

Why can't find a seasonal job, that I can work only a few weeks and make stupid $$$$

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good question CD , I haven't heard. But doesn't matter , because with all the weapons they have they are going 19-0 per Espn ? and Hammer. Sorry to break the news to you before the season

Well dang it. I guess might as well book my vacation during the Broncos/Patriots game this year so I don't have to endure the agony of absolute defeat. Plus I guess I better be heading to Vegas and putting my life savings on the Pats to win since they have what 15-2 odds right now. I might actually be able to afford to pay for my kids college with cash!

All kidding aside it should be a fun season for our 2 teams and I expect them to be the last 2 standing in the AFC again (injuries obviously can change that). Wouldn't mind seeing either of our teams take it all. Time to get that trophy back in the hands of the AFC.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well dang it. I guess might as well book my vacation during the Broncos/Patriots game this year so I don't have to endure the agony of absolute defeat. Plus I guess I better be heading to Vegas and putting my life savings on the Pats to win since they have what 15-2 odds right now. I might actually be able to afford to pay for my kids college with cash!

All kidding aside it should be a fun season for our 2 teams and I expect them to be the last 2 standing in the AFC again (injuries obviously can change that). Wouldn't mind seeing either of our teams take it all. Time to get that trophy back in the hands of the AFC.

No doubt and another Brady/Manning matchup, as they are dwindling. Miss the Bird-Johnson and George Frazier and Ali ( oops thats what Claude Humphries said at HOF induction)I meant Joe Frazier

9-1 even better not only college education but at Ivy schools now.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep wondering who the next big duo is in sports. I guess you could say Lebron/Durant. That really doesn't feel like those classic rivalries though. I just can't think of any even on the horizon that I think man I can't wait to see how that shapes up.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep wondering who the next big duo is in sports. I guess you could say Lebron/Durant. That really doesn't feel like those classic rivalries though. I just can't think of any even on the horizon that I think man I can't wait to see how that shapes up.

Richard Sherman and everyone else in his twitter-verse? :noidea:

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct. That's because it's simply another troll thread.

MA, have you had time to google some facts about Mallet so that you can pretend that this is actually some kind of cogent argument?

Hammer did that a few pages back.

Thanks for playing, though.