• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should the SEC adopt a 9 game conference schedule?

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regardless, the 4 division conference idea would be a disaster if you had to go to tie breakers between them all to determine who goes to the conference championship IMO.

Ehh, I don't think it would be all that bad. Most years, a simple head-to-head would probably get er done

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It can be done with 9, but I still like that G5 teams will be capable of playing P5 teams more often as well. I think 2 P5 and 2 G5 teams is a nice balance.

Yeah, I think the G5 teams want those lanes to remain open. They get a lot out of those games with P5 schools, especially when they win.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't. You can only reward people for playing tougher schedules. It's all relative to what the team looks for. If you play a "OMG I hope I make a bowl this year" schedule, and you don't make it to the playoffs - your fucking fault. If you want to be a champion, then you play the schedule that goes with it.

But if they add in extra P5 games, it adds more data points between conferences and it will help a lot with metrics and such to give a better clue on who is really deserving etc. Even if a team schedules Kansas every year and makes their schedule easier, it's still a good data point.
I agree there should be more data points but it seems like you were arguing that it’s better to play more G5 teams. Everyone playing two P5 and two G5 gives us a clearer picture than playing one P5, one G5, one FCS.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ehh, I don't think it would be all that bad. Most years, a simple head-to-head would probably get er done

Not to be a naysayer, but has there ever been a world cup without a pool decided by goal differential?

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to be a naysayer, but has there ever been a world cup without a pool decided by goal differential?

True, but he wasn't saying that the winner of the 4 team pool would advance, plus every team would have to play at least another 5-6 conference games outside of the 3 games they play in their pool if they had 4 divisions with a 16 team conference.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You only get a "1" in the W column for a win in real football.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coaches vote 13-1 to stay at eight SEC games

The B10 just recently moved to a 9 conference game schedule, and I know Saban was the only one that voted to move to a 9 game schedule in the SEC. It seems like an 8 game SEC schedule rewards some teams in the SEC much more than others. IIRC, Georgia only plays Alabama once every 5 seasons. Whereas Tennessee has Alabama every year. I know they won't change that, but one extra conference game would at least bring a Georgia v Alabama regular season game every 3-4 seasons, instead of 5. Same with other rivalries and non rivalry games in the SEC. It would also help eliminate games like Mercer from SEC teams schedule.

Yes they should. It will eliminate that ridiculous late season FCS opponent they all play.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes they should. It will eliminate that ridiculous late season FCS opponent they all play.

I just hate to see teams only play Bama once every 5 years in regular season play, while other teams in the East, play them every year. If the B10 had 8 conference games, it would be a nightmare as well as the East is BY FAR the dominate side of the conference right now. If they had to play them every 3-4 years, I think it would help level the SOS a bit.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the answer depends on what you think is the point of a college football season. If I am a fan then its entertainment. However if I can a coach/AD and the point is wins to get more money then would I want this? The way to getting those wins and to a good bowl or the playoffs is to win as many games as possible and look as good doing that as possible. Playing another P5 reduces those chances.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No it wouldn't, why do people assume this?

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

smilesid

Hammerfan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. But they do need to get rid of divisions and rotate the majority of the teams every year so teams play each other more often and so they can take the 2 best teams in the conference for the championship game like the Big12 rather than "division champion" being the AQ.

And move to 2 P5 OOC minimum - but that would require help from other conferences.
Yeah, stupid other conferences. They'd insist that those SEC teams do some traveling. :lol:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, stupid other conferences. They'd insist that those SEC teams do some traveling. :lol:

Or they would need to schedule 2 P5 OOC games as well in order to have enough volume to go around...

But hey, don't let that get in the way of your butthurt fantasy.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm all for it because it just means we get to beat the shit out more east teams. Win for us.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a bit of a side note, but for the Southern Schools to agree to play the Northern
Schools, don't the Northern Schools have to agree to play also?

I don't know how it is with other schools, but we've had some series where we never got
a return home game and the Northern Schools wouldn't come to Tally. When we tried to
continue those series they steadfastly refused to play us at our place.

The worst one was Notre Dame. We played a two-game series against them in '93 and
'94, but they didn't play us in Tally, we played in Orlando.

When we tried to continue the series and they also wanted to continue the series.
They told us they would play us in South Bend in late October or early November
and they would play us in either Jax, Tampa or Orlando in late November, and they wanted
25K tickets.

We told them if we go to South Bend in late October or early November, they'll be coming
to Tally in September. They wanted us on that rotating deal they have with USC and Stanford.
But wanted the games played at a neutral site in Florida. We told them to go fuck
themselves. We didn't need them.

Now they have that ACC deal so when they do have to play us, they come to Tally, where the
pick play is flagged.

Y'all might be hep on demanding Southern teams play another P5 team,
just as long as your team isn't the one having to do it.

Let's look at the current Big10
Mich State played us Home and Home 2-0
Ohio St played us 2 times in Columbus, once in a bowl 3-0
Penn St played us 3 times all in bowls 1-1-1
Wisconsin once in a bowl 1-0
Indiana once in a bowl 1-0
Mich played us 2 times in Ann Arbor, once in a bowl 2-1
Nebraska played us 4 times in Lincoln and 4 times in a bowl 6-2.

We haven't played any of the others...they won't answer the phone.
(Maryland we played when they were in the ACC 22-2...I'll exclude
them.)

21 games vs Big10 teams. 1 played in Tally. 9 played at your place.
11 in bowls.

1-0 in Tally
6-3 at your place
9-1-1 in Bowls

Give us a call or STFU

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does the SEC hate playing their own conference members so much?

Umm because it gives them an advantage to schedule one more patsy. I think the NCAA should address this but until they have to they would be nuts to change it. It’s been part of their success.

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta get that extra game against Mercer in to make sure you don't lose.

Anyone think that Mercer's phone is ringing off the hook for an easy win to pad the ol resume and payoff the school??? I would think it would be.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Umm because it gives them an advantage to schedule one more patsy. I think the NCAA should address this but until they have to they would be nuts to change it. It’s been part of their success.

The NCAA has addressed it.

They said it's legal, cry more.

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally prefer the eight conference game model because it provides a 4 home/4 away balance to the schedule. You don't have half the teams getting the scheduling advantage of five home games while the other half only gets four. The conferences with nine game conference schedules handicap half of their conference each year.

I know the thread is about the SEC but when the ACC went to the 9 game conference schedule after adding Pitt and Syracuse but prior to the Notre Dame deal Clemson promptly dropped OOC series with Ole Miss and Oklahoma State. With South Carolina already on the OOC slate every year and the SC legislature all but mandating that we play an in-state FCS team each year we would have only had one other OOC date. Since a 9 game schedule means that every other year you have five conference road games it would be impossible with the South Carolina home/home to maintain the necessary seven home games that provide huge revenue to the university and the city.

I understand the reasoning for the Pac 12 going to nine conference games because of the immense travel they already do within the conference schedule and the sheer lack of close by OOC games for many of their teams, but teams in the east do not have that problem.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coaches vote 13-1 to stay at eight SEC games

The B10 just recently moved to a 9 conference game schedule, and I know Saban was the only one that voted to move to a 9 game schedule in the SEC. It seems like an 8 game SEC schedule rewards some teams in the SEC much more than others. IIRC, Georgia only plays Alabama once every 5 seasons. Whereas Tennessee has Alabama every year. I know they won't change that, but one extra conference game would at least bring a Georgia v Alabama regular season game every 3-4 seasons, instead of 5. Same with other rivalries and non rivalry games in the SEC. It would also help eliminate games like Mercer from SEC teams schedule.
IF the SEC went to a 9 game schedule how would Kentucky ever make a bowl game? How would Miss St. or aTm get ranked so high? How would we get crazy high rankings for any random 6-0 SEC teams? Just go back this year and see how many trashy SEC teams got top 25 votes.