• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should the SEC adopt a 9 game conference schedule?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't or wouldn't answer my question in comment #473, can/could you? That's okay can't answer a question so you post pictures instead. Typical 4down20.

Not my fault you can't follow a conversation. Nobody else has trouble with it.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not my fault you can't follow a conversation. Nobody else has trouble with it.
Oh I followed your conversation just fine. You said that by Bama adding a 9th conference game like either, "South Carolina, Kentucky, Florida or Mizzou wouldn't improve the Alabama's SOS, but by playing Mercer did improve Bama's SOS". Read your comment #466.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I followed your conversation just fine. You said that by Bama adding a 9th conference game like either, "South Carolina, Kentucky, Florida or Mizzou wouldn't improve the Alabama's SOS, but by playing Mercer did improve Bama's SOS". Read your comment #466.

You so mad.

:lol:

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You so mad.

:lol:
Why would I be mad? You are the one that can't/won't answer my question. If you can't answer the question, then just tell me so and we will move on.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would I be mad? You are the one that can't/won't answer my question. If you can't answer the question, then just tell me so and we will move on.

Very very mad.

Uk5VeVj.gif

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe just me, but I always prefer conference games over OOC. What's the point of having conference teams if you rarely play them?

I rue the day the PAC went from 10 to 12. No disrespect to Colorado or Utah, but with 10 games every team played every other team, no exceptions. No need for a stupid CCG as HtH determined a tie. Basketball was even better as every team had a home and an away against every other team - great for fans

This not playing every team in the conference is crap... as is the CCG. Why the hell do you need to beat a team TWICE in one year to determine if you are the CC??? Total crap which IMO has diluted the PAC.

OTOH if you had a conference of 20 team, 10/division, and there was no cross division play during the season I could see a CCG .... baring that, no

Judging from the fan support from the SEC... a late season Alabama-Mercer match-up is what they want to insure a win. Personally I'd rather see a competitive game. It's their conference and they can do what they want, but it wouldn't be my preference.
tenor.gif

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The FBS conferences that are not Power 5; Mountain West, Sunbelt, MAC, AAC, and Conference USA. They would drop one of those games and continue to play the FCS schools just like most of the PAC12 and Big12 still do. Pretending like making the ACC and SEC conferences to play 9 in conference games would mean they are going to drop the FCS game is just plain ignorant.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The FBS conferences that are not Power 5; Mountain West, Sunbelt, MAC, AAC, and Conference USA. They would drop one of those games and continue to play the FCS schools just like most of the PAC12 and Big12 still do. Pretending like making the ACC and SEC conferences to play 9 in conference games would mean they are going to drop the FCS game is just plain ignorant.
The PAC has 3 OOC games, the SEC and ACC have 4 OOC games.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me give you the totals and bring the thread to a close.

These are the Total # of Regular Season games scheduled vs P5 teams from the other leagues.

I rank the leagues by the average per team for the 4 years of the playoff system.

ACC 80 games by 14 teams over 4 years...1.4 per team

Big10 59 games by 14 teams over 4 years...1.1 per team

SEC 52 games by 14 teams over 4 years...0.93 per team

Big12 37 games by 10 teams over 4 years...0.93 per team

Pac12 44 games by 12 teams over 4 years...0.92 per team

Which teams have played the most OOC reg season games vs P5 teams over the last 4 years

Florida State 8
Clemson 8
Ga Tech 7
Louisville 7
UNC 7
Pitt 7
UGA 7
USC 7
Texas 7
(What...No Big10?)

These are the teams with the fewest

Miss State 0
Arizona 0
Colorado 1
Baylor 1
PENN ST 2
Vandy 2
Ole Miss 2
Wash State 2
Kansas 2
Good info but the "end thread" hardly ever works with this crew.:suds:

Honest question. Don't you think the motives behind not scheduling P5s has as much or more to do with wanting 7 or 8 home games more than anything else? So we have pretty good Mexican standoff so they buy G5 and FCS teams to come in so they don't have to give up a return game to another P5. At least most of the P5 biggies do it that way. No?

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good info but the "end thread" hardly ever works with this crew.:suds:

Honest question. Don't you think the motives behind not scheduling P5s has as much or more to do with wanting 7 or 8 home games more than anything else? So we have pretty good Mexican standoff so they buy G5 and FCS teams to come in so they don't have to give up a return game to another P5. At least most of the P5 biggies do it that way. No?
The SEC plays the least amount of P5 teams on average vs what the other P5 conferences play year after year.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,321.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It depends, if the SEC goes to a 9 game conference schedule, is it gonna be less likely Georgia has marquee OOC matchups like the home and home with Notre dame given we have an annual rivalry game matchup with an OOC opponent?

Most years(next year we don't, and that sucks), Georgia plays 2 OOC P5 opponents. If we go to 9 games, and we ditch our future home and home with UCLA because we have to make room for Mississippi State, then I'm not for it at all.

We're playing against each other?

SportsHoopla cash bet when it goes down.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The SEC plays the least amount of P5 teams on average vs what the other P5 conferences play year after year.
But I'm interested in the motives behind why they do so. I think the most prevelant reason is because the vast majority of the P5 schools don't want to lose a home game every other year if they made agreements with other P5 teams. Neither wants to give up an extra home game. They'd rather force their fans to watch a G5 or FCS opponent they don't have to return a trip for. Occasionally, they agree to a 2 for 1 with a G5...but only if they have to. P5 biggies don't want any away games except for conference games.

I think their motives for scheduling G5/FCS are more home games and bowl eligibility more than worrying about their record. I'd place that one third in order.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,321.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
25 motherfucking pages? It was just started barely 3 days ago.

Everybody already bored that the college season is practically done?

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The PAC has 3 OOC games, the SEC and ACC have 4 OOC games.
Yes. Do they keep four OOC games when they go to nine conference games or do they go to three like everyone else? So what game do you think they are going to drop when they go to only three OOC games? A G5 team like the PAC12 does and the Big12 did and keep their games against FCS opponents or the FCS game like the BigTen pretended they did. If you think they would drop the FCS game, you haven’t been paying attention.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. Do they keep four OOC games when they go to nine conference games or do they go to three like everyone else? So what game do you think they are going to drop when they go to only three OOC games? A G5 team like the PAC12 does and the Big12 did and keep their games against FCS opponents or the FCS game like the BigTen pretended they did. If you think they would drop the FCS game, you haven’t been paying attention.
I don't care if they drop the FCS opponent or not. I'd just like to see the SEC play as many P5 opponents on average as the rest of the Power 5 conferences play.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care if they drop the FCS opponent or not. I'd just like to see the SEC play as many P5 opponents on average as the rest of the Power 5 conferences play.
Alright, and that wasn’t the discussion. Old timer was saying asking if the new conference team played would be the same strength as Mercer. Implying that the game that would be replaced would be an FCS team. It wouldn’t be. It would be from a Group 5 conference at best or some teams would drop their quality OOC game and keep their regional rivalry game. Every conference has teams that are significantly shittier than some G5 teams so trading out a Kentucky, Illinois, Oregon State for a UCF or Boise State would hurt the teams SoS.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright, and that wasn’t the discussion. Old timer was saying asking if the new conference team played would be the same strength as Mercer. Implying that the game that would be replaced would be an FCS team. It wouldn’t be. It would be from a Group 5 conference at best or some teams would drop their quality OOC game and keep their regional rivalry game. Every conference has teams that are significantly shittier than some G5 teams so trading out a Kentucky, Illinois, Oregon State for a UCF or Boise State would hurt the teams SoS.
I have Old Timer on ignore so I didn't see his post.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have Old Timer on ignore so I didn't see his post.
The answer to determining who the best four teams are and which conferences are stronger is not to limit the inter conference games. We need more P5 v P5 games, not less. By going to 9 conference games the overwhelming majority chose to go with only one P5 opponent not two. It would be better for all conferences to go to 8 conference games and require two P5 opponents. It gives us more data points and gives us more of a chance of common opponents before we play six degrees of Kevin Bacon with scores to determine who’s better.