• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should the SEC adopt a 9 game conference schedule?

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohio St made it in over Big12 in 2014 because they beat Wisconsin in their championship game 59-0 while the 2 Big12 teams became the "1 true champion" and didn't make a statement.
I thought the committee said they didn't have a 13th data point is the reason they were left out. No CCG.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of those are teams you brag on. That's kind of the point. Just because you add conference games doesn't mean you are adding real strength.
I would say that if Bama were to to add another conference game, it sure in hell would add more strength to your schedule, than playing Mercer.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have the extra opportunity but not the desire to accomplish it.

Kind of like comedian Ron White said when he got arrested for being drunk in public. He said "He had the right to remain silent but he didn't have the ability."
Well we have these teams play every year and with the exception Florida, they usually play an extra P5 game.
Clemson - South Carolina
GaTech - Georgia
FSU - Florida

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the committee said they didn't have a 13th data point is the reason they were left out. No CCG.

Correct, Ohio St played and beat Wisconsin 59-0 while they both stayed at home. They needed the extra game that year to make their case and it didn't exist.

Kind of why many of these discussions are dumb. Most of these guys are just whining about this year because of how it worked out, but it's all relative and Alabama got lucky the standards were lower this year. Most years, Alabama is out with a performance like this year.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say that if Bama were to to add another conference game, it sure in hell would add more strength to your schedule, than playing Mercer.

Actually, if Alabama added a 9th conference game it would likely lower our SoS this year. The only team we could have gotten that would have improved it out of the 5 remaing SEC East teams would be Georgia. And since we just played Georgia in 2015, that one isn't likely - South Carolina or Mizzou is. It would have been 1 of 2 games replaced, Fresno St or Colorado St with a conference game. So, tell me where South Carolina, Kentucky, Florida or Mizzou really improves the Alabama SoS.

Because you dipshits just can't get it threw your head that just adding an extra game does NOT mean it's going to be stronger, which is why despite conferences having an extra game they do not register harder schedules.

And the FCS game isn't going away, just like it didn't go away for the rest of the Pac12.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well we have these teams play every year and with the exception Florida, they usually play an extra P5 game.
Clemson - South Carolina
GaTech - Georgia
FSU - Florida
You can add Kentucky-Louisville so it is 4 out of 14 that are willing to play 2 P5s.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:dingdingding: Accurate summary. End thread/
This theory reduces the meaning of regular season games.Which removes one of the excuse against an extended play off.Add in the lack of meaning regarding conference championships.By this standard.Time for a 6-8 team play off

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct, Ohio St played and beat Wisconsin 59-0 while they both stayed at home. They needed the extra game that year to make their case and it didn't exist.

Kind of why many of these discussions are dumb. Most of these guys are just whining about this year because of how it worked out, but it's all relative and Alabama got lucky the standards were lower this year. Most years, Alabama is out with a performance like this year.
Bama may have gotten lucky but so would whoever replaced them at #4! This is one year where I believe they could throw 8 in there and let them sort it out on the field instead of via beauty. The last two years there was only really two. THis year 1 Clem vs 8 USC, 2 OU vs 7 Auburn, 3 Georgia vs 6 Wisconsin, 4 Bama vs 5 Ohio State would be pretty competitive games IMHO and they'd sort things out on the field. But, we'll never know.

And if Bama and Georgia make the finals this year, the squawking will start again about 2 SEC teams. But, there is a HUGE difference IMHO so the squawkers need to cork it. Both teams will have earned their way into it by beating a good semifinal opponents...unlike 2011.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This theory reduces the meaning of regular season games.Which removes one of the excuse against an extended play off.Add in the lack of meaning regarding conference championships.By this standard.Time for a 6-8 team play off
True...but that is the message that has been sent by the committee. THis year would be great with 8.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can add Kentucky-Louisville so it is 4 out of 14 that are willing to play 2 P5s.
And it’s true for both conferences though.

GTech only plays one P5 the next two years but does play USF
Georgia only plays one next year, two the following year
Louisville plays two the next two years
Kentucky only has one scheduled for every single year listed.
Florida State has two scheduled next year, one in 2019 with an opening.
Florida has one next year, two the following
Clemson has two for both years
SoCar has one next year and two the year after.

So for 8 schedules
ACC has 5 possible 6 with two P5
SEC has only 3

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, if Alabama added a 9th conference game it would likely lower our SoS this year. The only team we could have gotten that would have improved it out of the 5 remaing SEC East teams would be Georgia. And since we just played Georgia in 2015, that one isn't likely - South Carolina or Mizzou is. It would have been 1 of 2 games replaced, Fresno St or Colorado St with a conference game. So, tell me where South Carolina, Kentucky, Florida or Mizzou really improves the Alabama SoS.

Because you dipshits just can't get it threw your head that just adding an extra game does NOT mean it's going to be stronger, which is why despite conferences having an extra game they do not register harder schedules.

And the FCS game isn't going away, just like it didn't go away for the rest of the Pac12.
Yes, if Bama would have added a 9th conference game between either South Carolina, Kentucky, Florida or Missou, it should have helped their SOS. Are you telling me, that those 4 teams are weaker than Mercer. How in the hell would adding a conference game weaken your schedule? I thought the SEC was the best conference in college footbalk,

Last edited:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, if Bama would have added a 9th conference game between either South Carolina, Kentucky, Florida or Missou, it should have helped their SOS. Or you telling ne, that those 4 teams are weaker than Mercer. How in the hell would adding a the conference game weaken your schedule? I thought the SEC was the best conference in college footbalk,

Then go cry about the Pac12 teams playing 9 game conference schedules and still scheduling FCS teams.

Oh wait, you're not butthurt about them.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, if Bama would have added a 9th conference game between either South Carolina, Kentucky, Florida or Missou, it should have helped their SOS. Are you telling ne, that those 4 teams are weaker than Mercer. How in the hell would adding a the conference game weaken your schedule? I thought the SEC was the best conference in college footbalk,
You do realize that it’s a G5 that would be going away not the FCS game right?

The PAC has 9 conference games and over half still play FCS teams.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then go cry about the Pac12 teams playing 9 game conference schedules and still scheduling FCS teams.

Oh wait, you're not butthurt about them.
I'm asking you a question and you get pissed off and change the subject. I will ask the question again in reply to your comment #466. Go back and read your comment #466 and then read my comment #473 again. You can't answer my question so you get all pissy. My question in comment #473 was:

"Yes, if Bama would have added a 9th conference game between either South Carolina, Kentucky, Florida or Missou, it should have helped their SOS. Are you telling me, that those 4 teams are weaker than Mercer. How in the hell would adding a conference game weaken your schedule? I thought the SEC was the best conference in college football".

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm asking you a question and you get pissed off and change the subject. I will ask the question again in reply to your comment #466. Go back and read your comment #466 and then read my comment #473 again. You can't answer my question so you get all pissy. My question in comment #473 was:

"Yes, if Bama would have added a 9th conference game between either South Carolina, Kentucky, Florida or Missou, it should have helped their SOS. Are you telling me, that those 4 teams are weaker than Mercer. How in the hell would adding a conference game weaken your schedule? I thought the SEC was the best conference in college football".
7bH09f.gif

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me give you the totals and bring the thread to a close.

These are the Total # of Regular Season games scheduled vs P5 teams from the other leagues.

I rank the leagues by the average per team for the 4 years of the playoff system.

ACC 80 games by 14 teams over 4 years...1.4 per team

Big10 59 games by 14 teams over 4 years...1.1 per team

SEC 52 games by 14 teams over 4 years...0.93 per team

Big12 37 games by 10 teams over 4 years...0.93 per team

Pac12 44 games by 12 teams over 4 years...0.92 per team

Which teams have played the most OOC reg season games vs P5 teams over the last 4 years

Florida State 8
Clemson 8
Ga Tech 7
Louisville 7
UNC 7
Pitt 7
UGA 7
USC 7
Texas 7
(What...No Big10?)

These are the teams with the fewest

Miss State 0
Arizona 0
Colorado 1
Baylor 1
PENN ST 2
Vandy 2
Ole Miss 2
Wash State 2
Kansas 2

Last edited:

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do realize that it’s a G5 that would be going away not the FCS game right?

The PAC has 9 conference games and over half still play FCS teams.
:scratch: G5?

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't or wouldn't answer my question in comment #473, can/could you? That's okay can't answer a question so you post pictures instead. Typical 4down20.