• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should the SEC adopt a 9 game conference schedule?

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm all for dropping any major OOC games now with the 9 game OOC game schedule. I mean I enjoy them more than watching blowouts every week, but what's the point in risking a loss when you're already playing an extra conference game? Let's be real, what are the chances Ohio State or USC ever get shut out of the playoff in a year where they have 0 or 1 losses?

I know we just cancelled an upcoming series with Tennessee (that's kind of like playing a higher level MAC team now anyways, am-i-rite? lol)

If you're gonna play a P5 play the Oregon State (who we ironically play next year) and Kansas of the world. Then throw some in state money @ Kent State & Akron.
If the conferences that play 8 game schedules are afraid to go 9.And play competitive games.I agree as much as I hate it.May as well drop them all down to 8 and a uniform comparison.Personally I prefer an 8 game play off conference champions all included

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 4th OOC game is basically a free extra week of practice to prep for the tougher teams.

Bama and Auburn literally always use that 4th OOC game on a FCS or Sun Belt team so they can have a + week of practice to prep for each other.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bama uses their 4th OOC game on Mercer, what's the difference?

We still play quality OOC games and all you are adding to your schedule with the 9th game are Big10 west teams, so most years it's a fucking cupcake anyway.

But I forget...Iowa isn't a cupcake for you.

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Wisconsin took a hit for a weak OOC SOS as Washington was judged for a weak OOC SOS the year before. Under these structures you can not viably compare teams playing a 9 game conference schedule. With teams playing an 8 game conference schedule. There are more losses in a conference that plays a 9 game conference schedule.Thats simple math. They would all have to go 9 or 8

So again we are back to because three conferences willingly "handicapped" themselves the other two should be forced to do it?

You were the kid who jumped off the bridge because the other kids did it weren't you?

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the conferences that play 8 game schedules are afraid to go 9.And play competitive games.I agree as much as I hate it.May as well drop them all down to 8 and a uniform comparison.Personally I prefer an 8 game play off conference champions all included

Only way the SEC ever goes to 9 is if the NCAA steps in. Those programs aren't going to give up that extra gimme game.

or the CFP Committee starts punishing them for not doing it. I mean they punished the Big 12 for not having a Conference Title Game, so why not?

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We still play quality OOC games and all you are adding to your schedule with the 9th game are Big10 west teams, so most years it's a fucking cupcake anyway.

But I forget...Iowa isn't a cupcake for you.

You get an extra cupcake while the Big 12/Big 10/Pac 12 teams have to play another conference opponent instead. Bottom line. Your deflection tactics from how the SEC is scared of abandoning that extra free win cracks me up.

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You get an extra cupcake while the Big 12/Big 10/Pac 12 teams have to play another conference opponent instead. Bottom line. Your deflection tactics from how the SEC is scared of abandoning that extra free win cracks me up.

That's one way of looking at it.

You can also say that they get FSU while you get Illinois.

Both are correct, BTW.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So again we are back to because three conferences willingly "handicapped" themselves the other two should be forced to do it?

You were the kid who jumped off the bridge because the other kids did it weren't you?
So you're saying it is more than possible to move to a 9 game schedule.But conferences that play an 8 game schedule need the handicap.Pretty sure I stated if these conferences fear the competition,need to manipulate rankings.In order to have success.Havent jumped off a bridge.Have gone cliff diving tho.Nit afraid of some challenge

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only way the SEC ever goes to 9 is if the NCAA steps in. Those programs aren't going to give up that extra gimme game.

or the CFP Committee starts punishing them for not doing it. I mean they punished the Big 12 for not having a Conference Title Game, so why not?
I prefer competition.But If the B1G and PAC drop to 8.I agree you'll see teams like SC and OSU consistently in the CFP.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's one way of looking at it.

You can also say that they get FSU while you get Illinois.

Both are correct, BTW.

Who knows what game that 9th conference game is. Some years it could be an awful Illinois, others it could be Wisconsin or a 8/9 win Northwestern or Nebraska (hypothetically speaking) team.

Either way you shake it. I'd stop playing any Big time OOC opponents if I were the Pac 12/Big 12 or Big 10....there's no point really since with 0 or 1 losses and winning the conference it's really hard to miss the playoff in most years

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're saying it is more than possible to move to a 9 game schedule.But conferences that play an 8 game schedule need the handicap.Pretty sure I stated if these conferences fear the competition,need to manipulate rankings.In order to have success.Havent jumped off a bridge.Have gone cliff diving tho.Nit afraid of some challenge

Fear the competition? LOL

How many P5 games did Southern Cal play this year?

How about Clemson?

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fear the competition? LOL

How many P5 games did Southern Cal play this year?

How about Clemson?

"P5" doesnt automatically make a team good though

Next year we play Oregon State and TCU.....It sounds great saying 2 of our 3 OOC games were vs Power 5! But in reality one of those 2 is Oregon State, who would be lucky if they were a .500 team in the MWC.

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
committee basically rewarded them. Alabama had the worst SOS if i recall and it didn't matter but in reality if there was a 9th game its really just going to be them playing south carolina. people want to act like they are going to be going up against georgia every year because of a 9th game. not gonna happen

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sherlock is on the case...
Well it's not a tough thing to figure out. Replacing a P5 game with ULM or Texas St is generally going to get you more wins

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it's not a tough thing to figure out. Replacing a P5 game with ULM or Texas St is generally going to get you more wins

He keeps dodging that point

The whole conference basically goes +1 in the W column (unless a team or two really sucks that given year) because that 4th OOC is against the FCS/Sun Belt 99% of the time. Pretending that doesn't make the whole conference look better when looking at the records is hilarious.

1 more game against each other = 1 more loss for half the conference instead of that free +1 Win.

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"P5" doesnt automatically make a team good though

Next year we play Oregon State and TCU.....It sounds great saying 2 of our 3 OOC games were vs Power 5! But in reality one of those 2 is Oregon State, who would be lucky if they were a .500 team in the MWC.

Neither does the 9th conference game you are bitching about but that hasn't stopped you.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neither does the 9th conference game you are bitching about but that hasn't stopped you.

9th conference game > playing the FCS or Sun Belt. I'd rather Bama have to at least go out and play Missouri or Kentucky.....they probably aren't going to lose. But they'd at least somewhat have to break a sweat.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He keeps dodging that point

The whole conference basically goes +1 in the W column (unless a team or two really sucks that given year) because that 4th OOC is against the FCS/Sun Belt 99% of the time. Pretending that doesn't make the whole conference look better when looking at the records is hilarious.

1 more game against each other = 1 more loss for half the conference instead of that free +1 Win.
Thats the point they always dodge.Common sense dictates playing an extra conference game.Is a guaranteed conference loss.Thats kinda what happens when two teams in the same conference play. :L :dhd: