• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should the SEC adopt a 9 game conference schedule?

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Conferences with an 8 game schedule have never missed the playoff. Conferences with a 9 game schedule miss 50% of the time . You're better off scheduling a scrub OOC than you are playing an extra conference game
Thats the thing one of the biggest advantages in a conference playing an 8 game schedule.Isn't just the ability to school an FCS team in November.But avoiding a guaranteed loss within the conference.With that 9th conference game you are guaranteeing 1 additional loss distributed throughout the teams within the conference.Which would hold consequences that span from.Lowering the rankings and SOS within the conference.Removing the extra bye weeks and increasing difficulty before rivalry games.To potential upsets i.e. Iowa over OSU.And increasing the risk of teams from said conferences from making the play offs.Either the conferences that play 8 need to go to 9.Or the conferences that play 9 need to drop to 8.Do a good deed and help out the FCS schools financially in November

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol, I'm not even going to bother with "Oregon St was ranked when the majority of SEC teams weren't".

That statement is right out of the flat earthers handbook. More of your fact less bullshit.

I already showed you what teams your conference mates scheduled that were on a par with Mercer, Oregon St was just the rotted, festered cherry on top of that pile of shit.

Oh lets bother with that my friend. You want to move on but lets bother.
the 2000 season.
Oregon State finished #6 in the final BCS poll of the regular season.
Florida finished #7 as the only SEC team to be ranked in the top 15 of the BCS poll.
So you are right . I was wrong to say that Oregon State ended up ranked higher than the majority of SEC teams. In 2000 Oregon State finished ranked higher than all SEC teams. Let me know when Mercer and Citadel and Chattanooga and UAB and Coastal Carolina and Kentucky and any other teams you're pimping do the same ..

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. Why change when it benefits them so much? Like I've said before, many of them would never make a bowl if it weren't for those cupcakes.

Bowl=more money (some of the time)
Bowl=more media exposure (all of the time)
Well especially when a big committee criteria is "wins over .500 plus teams ". Of course ACC and SEC teams have an advantage . They're 5-7 teams end up 6-6 because they play scrubs instead of conference games in game 12. Wisconsin would've had a much better resume if Indiana and Minnesota were 6-6, ISC if Cal were 6-6 etc etc. Plus SoS would be better because your league is not guaranteeing 5-7 more losses for itself like the B12/P12/B10 do

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh in 2012 Oregon State finished ranked #19. Below 5 SEC teams and above 9 SEC teams. But hey. Keep making fun of Oregon State.LOL

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
David Shaw got it right imo

Does it really matter if they are playing an FCS opponent when their opponent the next week is also playing an FCS team the same week more times than not. There is no competitive advantage gained. I am against playing FCS teams but I could give two shits when the game is played.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does it really matter if they are playing an FCS opponent when their opponent the next week is also playing an FCS team the same week more times than not. There is no competitive advantage gained. I am against playing FCS teams but I could give two shits when the game is played.
Shaw is referencing the built in break.The conferences receive when scheduling FCS teams late in the year.As opposed to conferences playing a 9 game schedule and an FBS conference opponent.This isn't just an extra by week or an easy win.Its avoiding conference losses.Which actually does make a major impact.On everything from conference SOS,Rankings.,Bowl eligibility.This is why so many SEC and ACC schools are against the 9 game schedule.And the only real reason.Shaw is correct in his statements normalize the scheduling

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what I can gather the argument is this.......because three conferences were stupid enough to handicap themselves by:

A. Assuring that half of their conference carries an additional loss

and

B. Assuring that half the conference faces a tougher schedule because of the home/road imbalance every year

That now the two conferences that were smart enough not to do it should be forced to? Because you shot yourself in the foot we should have to shoot ourselves too?

That pretty much the gist of it?

Like I said earlier in the thread, I can see the logic behind the Pac 12 playing nine conference games because of the lack of OOC options out west. I can also see the logic in the Big 12 because it allows for a round robin. But there is no real reason why the Big Slow had to go to nine games.

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shaw is referencing the built in break.The conferences receive when scheduling FCS teams late in the year.As opposed to conferences playing a 9 game schedule and an FBS conference opponent.This isn't just an extra by week or an easy win.Its avoiding conference losses.Which actually does make a major impact.On everything from conference SOS,Rankings.,Bowl eligibility.This is why so many SEC and ACC schools are against the 9 game schedule.And the only real reason.Shaw is correct in his statements normalize the scheduling

I can't speak for the SEC schools but the biggest problem that ACC schools have is the fact we already have an OOC scheduling agreement with Notre Dame to where each school plays the parasites on average once every three years. That eliminates the flexibility of scheduling one OOC game. Then you have the four ACC teams that have SEC rivalry week games. Nine conference games would eliminate nearly all OOC flexibility. With nine ACC games we would be giving up series with Auburn (last two years) and Texas A&M (starting next year) to play Duke and Virginia. How exactly is that making things harder for us?

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But he is not being hurt at all by teams in a different conference playing FCS opponents. His opponents are playing the same schedule. And most of the PAC12 are playing FCS opponents while they aren’t. Maybe he should take offense to more than half the conference getting the bye early in the year and one later. Did USC get an unfair advantage getting a bye before the PAC12 championship game when they pretty much knew who they were going to plan and scheme for two weeks?

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't speak for the SEC schools but the biggest problem that ACC schools have is the fact we already have an OOC scheduling agreement with Notre Dame to where each school plays the parasites on average once every three years. That eliminates the flexibility of scheduling one OOC game. Then you have the four ACC teams that have SEC rivalry week games. Nine conference games would eliminate nearly all OOC flexibility. With nine ACC games we would be giving up series with Auburn (last two years) and Texas A&M (starting next year) to play Duke and Virginia. How exactly is that making things harder for us?
The thing about that is OOC rivalries can be done.SC found a way to continue their rivalry with ND following the PAC changes.They also found a way to keep their Stanford and Cal rivalries with the division shif.And still schedule a P5 OOC and mid major every year

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing about that is OOC rivalries can be done.SC found a way to continue their rivalry with ND following the PAC changes.They also found a way to keep their Stanford and Cal rivalries with the division shif.And still schedule a P5 OOC and mid major every year

Sure. Go ahead and figure out how Clemson could do that and maintain a seven game home schedule.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But he is not being hurt at all by teams in a different conference playing FCS opponents. His opponents are playing the same schedule. And most of the PAC12 are playing FCS opponents while they aren’t. Maybe he should take offense to more than half the conference getting the bye early in the year and one later. Did USC get an unfair advantage getting a bye before the PAC12 championship game when they pretty much knew who they were going to plan and scheme for two weeks?
The truth in his statement is it hurts college football as a whole.Its not like we are talking about a PAC team playing an FCS team.As one of their 3 OOC in the beginning of the year.We are talking 4 OOC games with one of them being an FCS late.As much as I don't care for FCS scheduling thats a major difference.The biggest impact occurs with the conference win loss distribution.Within the the differentiating scheduling.They need to find uniformity there is no true comparisons

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure. Go ahead and figure out how Clemson could do that and maintain a seven game home schedule.
Keep the rivalry game i.e. SC Notre Dame.Schedule a different OOC P% game when you aren't in the ACC ND rotation.Or add ND.They are in the ACC for college basketball no? It's been shown by other conferences their are solutions when you put the work in.

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The truth in his statement is it hurts college football as a whole.Its not like we are talking about a PAC team playing an FCS team.As one of their 3 OOC in the beginning of the year.We are talking 4 OOC games with one of them being an FCS late.As much as I don't care for FCS scheduling thats a major difference.The biggest impact occurs with the conference win loss distribution.Within the the differentiating scheduling.They need to find uniformity there is no true comparisons

So what is the supposed cut off point for FCS games? Game 1? Game 4?

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep the rivalry game i.e. SC Notre Dame.Schedule a different OOC P% game when you aren't in the ACC ND rotation.Or add ND.They are in the ACC for college basketball no? It's been shown by other conferences their are solutions when you put the work in.

Notre Dame isn't joining the ACC in football, and the ND agreement messes up scheduling. We can't get a second P5 OOC game for 2021 because nobody wants to wait until 2024 for the return game.

And your math is still wrong. There is no way to have a nine game conference schedule, the ACC/ND scheduling agreement and two simultaneous P5 home and homes while maintaining seven home games.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what is the supposed cut off point for FCS games? Game 1? Game 4?
3 OOC games if they chose to go FCS,Mid Major.I suppose thats up to the school.What it does is provide a level playing field and uniformity in the conferences.Which gives a much clearer gauge for comparison.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh lets bother with that my friend. You want to move on but lets bother.
the 2000 season.
Oregon State finished #6 in the final BCS poll of the regular season.
Florida finished #7 as the only SEC team to be ranked in the top 15 of the BCS poll.
So you are right . I was wrong to say that Oregon State ended up ranked higher than the majority of SEC teams. In 2000 Oregon State finished ranked higher than all SEC teams. Let me know when Mercer and Citadel and Chattanooga and UAB and Coastal Carolina and Kentucky and any other teams you're pimping do the same ..

LOL, now you're saying you said ranked "higher", if I have to interpret what you meant vs what you said I will need a box of rocks to filter your shit through.

You said "Shitty Oregon State was ranked at times when probably the majority of SEC teams wern't."

So now, you want to point out that when Oregon St wasn't shitty they were pretty good. lol.

Fucking great, be my guest, talk about that one time at band camp 20 years ago, but right now, they are shitty...about as shitty as Mercer.

If Mercer is ever ranked when we play them, I will of course pimp them out. Outside of that I will call them the shit that they are. Just like Oregon St and the other 13 equally shitty teams scheduled by Pac-12 schools this year.

BTW Kentucky won a National Championship in 1951, lumping them in with the non-champions of the world like Oregon St does a disservice to the proud legacy that is Kentucky Football.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Notre Dame isn't joining the ACC in football, and the ND agreement messes up scheduling. We can't get a second P5 OOC game for 2021 because nobody wants to wait until 2024 for the return game.

And your math is still wrong. There is no way to have a nine game conference schedule, the ACC/ND scheduling agreement and two simultaneous P5 home and homes while maintaining seven home games.
They would still have a 3 game OOC.Schedule the SEC rival in clumsiness case SC east.If ND doesn't want to join a conference which they are already in for NCAA basketball.And rotate ND as the other OOC.Its not like other conferences that moved to 9 game schedules didnt find solutions.

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 OOC games if they chose to go FCS,Mid Major.I suppose thats up to the school.What it does is provide a level playing field and uniformity in the conferences.Which gives a much clearer gauge for comparison.

You weren't clear but you are saying by the third OOC game?