• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should Mike Riley keep his job after this season?

Should Mike Riley Have HIs Job After This Season?

• Total voters

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the thing about the "well, no coach will want to come here if we fire Riley" argument.

Don't fire the guy until you have a guy to take his place. Put some feelers out.....see if anyone's interested. I'm not saying the thing to do is fire Riley right now, I'm ready to give him his chance and he's our Head Coach so I love the dude and wish the greatest success on him possible.

But if we really wanted to hire a new coach after 1 year, start looking right now. When you find your man, let Riley go. If you don't find him, keep going with Riley.

There are things that happen behind the scenes that we definitely don't know about. I mean, shit......who knew Mike Riley was a candidate for this jerb? Remember our list of potential candidates that us fans had???? Holy shit, we had no idea what was going on.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the thing about the "well, no coach will want to come here if we fire Riley" argument.

Don't fire the guy until you have a guy to take his place. Put some feelers out.....see if anyone's interested. I'm not saying the thing to do is fire Riley right now, I'm ready to give him his chance and he's our Head Coach so I love the dude and wish the greatest success on him possible.

But if we really wanted to hire a new coach after 1 year, start looking right now. When you find your man, let Riley go. If you don't find him, keep going with Riley.

There are things that happen behind the scenes that we definitely don't know about. I mean, shit......who knew Mike Riley was a candidate for this jerb? Remember our list of potential candidates that us fans had???? Holy shit, we had no idea what was going on.

Eichorst didn't know Riley was a candidate for the job until the day after he fired Bopleeny. No other coaches were vetted. ZERO

Bopleeny was fired on November 30th.

"After the meeting at the stadium (Bopleeny firing announcement), Eichorst turned his attention to the search.

"I wasn't looking at people at that point," Eichorst said. "I was just thinking about qualities in people."

By Monday morning, Dec. 1, Eichorst said he "was fixed" on Riley"

Inside the search that led Nebraska to Mike Riley

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eichorst didn't know Riley was a candidate for the job until the day after he fired Bopleeny. No other coaches were vetted. ZERO

Bopleeny was fired on November 30th.

"After the meeting at the stadium (Bopleeny firing announcement), Eichorst turned his attention to the search.

"I wasn't looking at people at that point," Eichorst said. "I was just thinking about qualities in people."

By Monday morning, Dec. 1, Eichorst said he "was fixed" on Riley"

Inside the search that led Nebraska to Mike Riley

Of course, he also said he had a crush on Riley for some 10 years and running

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course, he also said he had a crush on Riley for some 10 years and running

#loveislove

Maybe Eichorst, Riley, and Jed can have tickle fights in their tighty whities. :dhd:

bigred472

theoldestidiotonthisboard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my main thought right now is to at least see how the last 3 games go before making that decision.

the biggest problem i see is the lack of emotion and buy-in from players. too many guys on that team thinking that "they fired Bo for this shit show" is my guess, wish i knew if it was true, but seems like the case.

if we play MSU and Iowa close/possibly win and hopefully get a W at Rutgers, then I'd give him next year, he can clean house try and get rid of some of the problem guys and hopefully find some JUCOs and freshmen/RS freshmen that want to play passionately for him.

oh and i think they have to make a change on D, either Banker gone or Stewart, and get rid of Reed seeing as our STs are worse in the nation, why pay an ST coordinator for? seriously, the Punt Return team sucks again, kickoff and punt coverage isn't that great either. some of that is just straight up "i don't want to do this" from the players, but might as well spend the money on someone who might actually help the team.
-------
Before letting any of the coaching staff go, if I were Riley, I'd start pulling scholarships from those he thinks aren't buying into the program (defensive players anyone?). If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL

So I've been meaning to ask...

What's the purpose of the Terrell Newby avatar?

I just felt like he has really been playing hard since what was kind of a slow start. He doesn't have great blocking to help him out and he is getting more confident and working his ass off. One of the closest guys on the team to what remind me of a true Husker.

Basically I just feel like he cares.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just felt like he has really been playing hard since what was kind of a slow start. He doesn't have great blocking to help him out and he is getting more confident and working his ass off. One of the closest guys on the team to what remind me of a true Husker.

Basically I just feel like he cares.

Fair enough.

Just something I've been meaning to ask.

He does look more decisive lately. Maybe the earlier hesitance was him waiting for the called hole to open up, and now he just says "Fuck it, I'll find my own".

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough.

Just something I've been meaning to ask.

He does look more decisive lately. Maybe the earlier hesitance was him waiting for the called hole to open up, and now he just says "Fuck it, I'll find my own".

Yep. He's showed some shades of Ameer at times. You can tell he gets fed up with the flow of the game and just opens up out there some times. He has a ton of upside and I think he's going to be a star if he continues to progress. That run in the Minnesota game shows what kind of a threat he is if we can just get him in the 2nd level. That was a huge hole, but if we could get some better blocking he could be really tough to catch. They timed him on Big Red Wrapup on that run and he ran the last 40 yards in a little under 4.3.

He also holds onto the football, which I really like about him.

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't matter come this Saturday Michigan state is going to get their shit pushed in by the real big brother the Nebraska Cornhuskers!

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
offensively, i don't get the feel guys don't care, maybe along the O-line and that's why it's a pile of shit. i mean, i see plenty of emotion coming from TA, Cross, Westy, Morgan. those guys are doing all they can. now, i don't know what they are doing on the sideline as i can't see that, but those guys are in it to win it and don't seem to mind the coaching staff switch.

it's the defense that is struggling. i think some of it is the lack luster reception Banker got. it wasn't a splash DC hire, and the system is a complete 180 from Bo's, so it's been tough rowing. and that is the side of the ball that needs some emotion, i just don't see guys flying around like they should. i was just hoping to see guys all over the field, more like MSU and the better defenses in College Football. the problem is we badly need good DEs and better LBs. with no one that can generate a pass rush, we are letting QBs pick us apart and make perfect throws and the injuries at LB have just been devastating, Banderas at 100% is probably decent but not at 90%, Young is just young and needs work, Rose-Ivey hasn't been 100% all year except maybe the 2nd game. Then after that, what, it's a bunch of walk-ons?

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh and aaron williams looked like a player at safety. dude messed up a few times but brought some wood. wouldn't mind seeing if could get him on the field more, maybe use Cockrell at nickel with Kalu and Jones at CB.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh and aaron williams looked like a player at safety. dude messed up a few times but brought some wood. wouldn't mind seeing if could get him on the field more, maybe use Cockrell at nickel with Kalu and Jones at CB.
I'd like to see him in for Gerry. I don't know enough about defensive positioning to know how significant a move like that would be (i.e. has he been practicing in Gerry's role/how big of a difference is it if he hasn't been?). He's been awful and is one of the players that look like they just don't give a crap.

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

That's what should have been done with Pelini, but west coast Eichorst SHOULD have nabbed a TOP NOTCH head coach first instead af a loser.

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
offensively, i don't get the feel guys don't care, maybe along the O-line and that's why it's a pile of shit. i mean, i see plenty of emotion coming from TA, Cross, Westy, Morgan. those guys are doing all they can. now, i don't know what they are doing on the sideline as i can't see that, but those guys are in it to win it and don't seem to mind the coaching staff switch.

it's the defense that is struggling. i think some of it is the lack luster reception Banker got. it wasn't a splash DC hire, and the system is a complete 180 from Bo's, so it's been tough rowing. and that is the side of the ball that needs some emotion, i just don't see guys flying around like they should. i was just hoping to see guys all over the field, more like MSU and the better defenses in College Football. the problem is we badly need good DEs and better LBs. with no one that can generate a pass rush, we are letting QBs pick us apart and make perfect throws and the injuries at LB have just been devastating, Banderas at 100% is probably decent but not at 90%, Young is just young and needs work, Rose-Ivey hasn't been 100% all year except maybe the 2nd game. Then after that, what, it's a bunch of walk-ons?

The players care, but they're frustrated by the results I'm sure, and I bet they realize that Nebraska is just a few better coaching decisions away from having a winning record.