• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should Mike Riley keep his job after this season?

Should Mike Riley Have HIs Job After This Season?

• Total voters

RTID

Scarlet Begonias
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My vote goes no. I've seen a lot of articles say it would be bad for the program, but I'd rather take my chances than watch Mediocre U get blasted the next three years.

it'sHuskers4me

New Era Huskers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are dumb!!
Says the guy with a girls voice on the radio. Can you write a poem about an underwhelming coach turning an above average team into an underwhelming one with underwhelming results.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my main thought right now is to at least see how the last 3 games go before making that decision.

the biggest problem i see is the lack of emotion and buy-in from players. too many guys on that team thinking that "they fired Bo for this shit show" is my guess, wish i knew if it was true, but seems like the case.

if we play MSU and Iowa close/possibly win and hopefully get a W at Rutgers, then I'd give him next year, he can clean house try and get rid of some of the problem guys and hopefully find some JUCOs and freshmen/RS freshmen that want to play passionately for him.

oh and i think they have to make a change on D, either Banker gone or Stewart, and get rid of Reed seeing as our STs are worse in the nation, why pay an ST coordinator for? seriously, the Punt Return team sucks again, kickoff and punt coverage isn't that great either. some of that is just straight up "i don't want to do this" from the players, but might as well spend the money on someone who might actually help the team.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will abstain from voting because there is no answer there for me.

My answer would be Yes he should have his job, but I don't "Hate Nebraska Football".

The heads of Nebraska Athletics made a commitment that they need to honor for a few years. Firing a "nice guy" after one season will look really bad.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure you think your poll question is funny but what it really does is show how ignorant you are regarding this and how ignorant you shall remain because you have closed your self off from anything that doesn't applaud your own thoughts.

Honestly there should be a choice,"No, I hate Nebraska football" because a vote to fire him now is a vote to destroy the program.

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if we fire MR and Hire Jim Tressel a guy who knows how to win in the big ten that is destroying the program?

NE1tm2nv

The Power of RED
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,682.28
Fav. Team #1
I guess it depends on the type of scheme ya'll want to see on offense and defense. If Riley is given more time, and he gets his pass happy system in place. It's going to be harder to purge the program, you're basically stuck with his type of offense when he retires.

Let's not kid ourselves here; he's 62 years old, how long before he retires and we need another HC anyway? If he's allowed to implement his system, the next HC is going to have to stick with it or at least play to that strength, or we'll see more debacle. It's been proven three times; a new HC, a new system, and the kids struggle mightly.

I personally don't care for this type of offensive philosophy.

RTID, you left out the choice of: I don't give a fuck anymore, doesn't fuckin' matter, it is what it is....

jedburks

The Bad Guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Says the guy with a girls voice on the radio. Can you write a poem about an underwhelming coach turning an above average team into an underwhelming one with underwhelming results.

Hahaha, a girls voice? Been attempted to be insulted many times for my calls but never heard that one. Not really sure how it pertains to the convo but hey, good try buddy. I could right a poem about your sad attempt at a convo and insults.

An above average team? A team that would have won no more than 7 games last year with Ameer? A current team with zero playmakers? A current team that does not have 1 OL that can run the system that Riley wants to run? Yeah, run the guy out of town after 9 games and try to convince a coach to come here and that he will have the ability to implement his system and grow this program to where the dumb ass fans think they should be at but if you lose 1 game they will freak out and want you fired immediately. Good luck coach, we're behind you.

jedburks

The Bad Guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will abstain from voting because there is no answer there for me.

My answer would be Yes he should have his job, but I don't "Hate Nebraska Football".

The heads of Nebraska Athletics made a commitment that they need to honor for a few years. Firing a "nice guy" after one season will look really bad.

Exactly, literally the dumbest poll question and discussion this entire SportsHoopla board has ever been a part of.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly, literally the dumbest poll question and discussion this entire SportsHoopla board has ever been a part of.

Stupidity is not typical of RTID

I think BigRed472 commandeered his account somehow.

it'sHuskers4me

New Era Huskers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hahaha, a girls voice? Been attempted to be insulted many times for my calls but never heard that one. Not really sure how it pertains to the convo but hey, good try buddy. I could right a poem about your sad attempt at a convo and insults.

An above average team? A team that would have won no more than 7 games last year with Ameer? A current team with zero playmakers? A current team that does not have 1 OL that can run the system that Riley wants to run? Yeah, run the guy out of town after 9 games and try to convince a coach to come here and that he will have the ability to implement his system and grow this program to where the dumb ass fans think they should be at but if you lose 1 game they will freak out and want you fired immediately. Good luck coach, we're behind you.
I mentioned your voice before and others agree you have the voice of a little girl but whatever it's your problem, not mine. The OL statement most likely applies to a majority of the roster. The obvious problem with the polar opposite of Pelini is the guy is not assertive enough to get the guys to get behind him - nice guy/timid guy. We'll finish dead last in the worst division in the FBS -So yes Jed, yes by all means let's have 5 more year please - just because you said so.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if we fire MR and Hire Jim Tressel a guy who knows how to win in the big ten that is destroying the program?
So Jim Tressel is going to come to a school that fired a 9-3 coach and then a year later that same coaches replacement.
There is not a coach that would come here unless they had no other options, which means they are not a decent coach.

Like it or not you have to see this thing through instead of acting like it's no different than walking down to Walmart and picking which bag of chips you want this time.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mentioned your voice before and others agree you have the voice of a little girl but whatever it's your problem, not mine. The OL statement most likely applies to a majority of the roster. The obvious problem with the polar opposite of Pelini is the guy is not assertive enough to get the guys to get behind him - nice guy/timid guy. We'll finish dead last in the worst division in the FBS -So yes Jed, yes by all means let's have 5 more year please - just because you said so.

Worst Power 5 division, but not in FBS as a whole.

FBS includes AAC, Conference USA, MAC, MWC, and Sun Belt.

That being said, I don't think Nebraska could win any of those FBS Conferences/Divisions, but doubt they'd finish dead last in any of them.

NE1tm2nv

The Power of RED
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,682.28
Fav. Team #1
You guys are so worried about us firing a 9-3 coach and the perception that may have on another coach... He wasn't fired because of his record, for the love of gaud. If a candidate coach doesn't know why Pelini was fired, then he had his head in the sand. Had nothing to do with his record.

The fuckhead was a loose cannon.
FirsthandFeminineIlsamochadegu.gif

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to see what the recruiting class looks like so I can have hope. This promising recruiting class cannot fall apart.

Nebraska is stuck with Riley until after the 2017 season unless the big money donors are willing to pony up the cash. Perlman is retiring(June 30, 2016), which means the next President is going to fire Eichorst after the 2016 football season(unless there is a miracle). The new AD could fire Riley after the 2017 football season, if 2016 and 2017 are mirror images of the 2015 season, or heaven forbid, the sellout streak ends and/or donations begin to dry up prior to the 2017 season.

Both coordinators should be on the hot seat
Banker, who I never ever wanted, something has to change there. It won't, but maybe give a goal that has to be hit in 2016 or else.

Langsdorf, the coach I actually liked, is way to pass happy and looks for the smallest reason to blame the run game so he can just call pass plays. Nevermind the crappy completion rate and poor turnover rate that seems to happen in the passing game, somehow that is never mentioned.

Cavanaugh and Hughes, what the heck are they doing? Where is the QB pressure I had heard so much about during the summer?

To say the rush defense is good, I am not completely buying. Let us look at the rush offenses that Nebraska has faced.
Illinois 116
Miami 113
Purdue 102
South Alabama 101
Minnesota 87
Wisconsin 83
BYU 82
Northwestern 46

Future
Michigan State 88
Rutgers 67
Iowa 33 (not sure if Canzeri will be back)

Not to mention, the other coaching staffs have admitted they are going to pass because the Nebraska pass defense is so porous. Plus, the comment from Hazell about how on 3rd down, no one on the Nebraska defense covers the QB so he is open to run. BAM Clayton Thorson and David Blough are all of a sudden awesome players, but only against Nebraska.

Special Teams - if Nebraska did not have Sam Foltz, Drew Brown, and Jordan Ober imagine how bad the Special Teams would look. Something has to happen there. Imagine if Reeves was the long snapper!! On Nebraska punt and kick returns, there doesn't seem to be any cohesive blocking plan. Tackling on the opposing punt and kick returns looks really bad. Three offsides on an extra point attempt yesterday? A blocked XP attempt?

antone112

who gives a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,290.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 games left. Who knows. Wont happen though

it'sHuskers4me

New Era Huskers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to see what the recruiting class looks like so I can have hope. This promising recruiting class cannot fall apart.

Nebraska is stuck with Riley until after the 2017 season unless the big money donors are willing to pony up the cash. Perlman is retiring(June 30, 2016), which means the next President is going to fire Eichorst after the 2016 football season(unless there is a miracle). The new AD could fire Riley after the 2017 football season, if 2016 and 2017 are mirror images of the 2015 season, or heaven forbid, the sellout streak ends and/or donations begin to dry up prior to the 2017 season.

Both coordinators should be on the hot seat
Banker, who I never ever wanted, something has to change there. It won't, but maybe give a goal that has to be hit in 2016 or else.

Langsdorf, the coach I actually liked, is way to pass happy and looks for the smallest reason to blame the run game so he can just call pass plays. Nevermind the crappy completion rate and poor turnover rate that seems to happen in the passing game, somehow that is never mentioned.

Cavanaugh and Hughes, what the heck are they doing? Where is the QB pressure I had heard so much about during the summer?

To say the rush defense is good, I am not completely buying. Let us look at the rush offenses that Nebraska has faced.
Illinois 116
Miami 113
Purdue 102
South Alabama 101
Minnesota 87
Wisconsin 83
BYU 82
Northwestern 46

Future
Michigan State 88
Rutgers 67
Iowa 33 (not sure if Canzeri will be back)

Not to mention, the other coaching staffs have admitted they are going to pass because the Nebraska pass defense is so porous. Plus, the comment from Hazell about how on 3rd down, no one on the Nebraska defense covers the QB so he is open to run. BAM Clayton Thorson and David Blough are all of a sudden awesome players, but only against Nebraska.

Special Teams - if Nebraska did not have Sam Foltz, Drew Brown, and Jordan Ober imagine how bad the Special Teams would look. Something has to happen there. Imagine if Reeves was the long snapper!! On Nebraska punt and kick returns, there doesn't seem to be any cohesive blocking plan. Tackling on the opposing punt and kick returns looks really bad. Three offsides on an extra point attempt yesterday? A blocked XP attempt?
I would love to see Riley's recruits also, but I watch the Beavers last night and those guys played much like our guys do. Not a bunch to look forward to if that is what we ultimately get.

Any confident coach would come here, and Pelini was not fired because he was 9-3, so let's not pretend he was and that could have any bearing on a down the road hire.

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there is a big difference between Jim Tressel implementing his system and Mike Riley implementing his system Jim Tressel's a proven winner Mike Riley is a 50/50