• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should Mike Riley keep his job after this season?

Should Mike Riley Have HIs Job After This Season?

• Total voters

it'sHuskers4me

New Era Huskers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw this on facebook

Dear Husker Nation: A Letter From An Oregon State Fan
Slide1.jpg

Dear Husker Nation,

As a huge Oregon State fan, I have experienced your pain, tenfold.

Mike Riley is not the man for the job. He wasn’t the man in Corvallis either. I have lost count of how many games we have lost to the Ducks in a row. Some of those were just outright embarrassing blowouts to not only Oregon, but other conference opponents! Sacramento State and Eastern Washington were other games that should have been easy wins that Riley and company lost.

Don’t get me started with his awful clock management ‘skills’.

He is a smooth talker, I will give him that.

I get your pain. He holds on to Banker and Langsdorf like a newborn with stuffed animals. Banker, from what I understand is already a bad word in Lincoln.

When Riley left for the Chargers, we then hired Dennis Erickson. He went 5-6 in his first season. He then went 11-1 the following year — primarily with Riley’s recruits. Riley has recruited talent, don’t get me wrong, but it seems that the skills the recruit comes in with are usually what he leaves with.

While Riley is a really nice guy and does create a family atmosphere, he is not the guy that will achieve the sustained success that Oregon State would LOVE TO HAVE or that Nebraska has had and deserves! They say all new coaches should have a few seasons to get their schemes in place and their type of recruits, etc. Well, he had 13 seasons at Oregon State and we only had one real season of success.

I am sorry, but I am not a fan of Las Vegas or San Francisco bowls at Oregon State. I couldn’t imagine that going over very well in Lincoln either. Riley never challenged for the Pac-12 or Pac 10 title.

In closing, don’t do what Oregon State and Bob DeCarolis did and keep Riley forever. Move on as fast as you can.

Reads:

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a couple of Oregon St fans on my facebook page. When I posted about the hire...they laughed at me

:pout:

I think a quiet coaching search has started or will be started; however, Riley will have another year unless a big time wants to come here. (My thoughts are based on if Nebraska actually wants a big name hire).

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tressel and that's all I have to say about that.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tressel's show cause penalty runs out at end of 2016 and can coach again in 2017, coincidence?

but seriously, i highly doubt if Tressel is interested, he freaking hired Bo Pelini at YSU, you really think he'd want the job?

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tressel's show cause penalty runs out at end of 2016 and can coach again in 2017, coincidence?

but seriously, i highly doubt if Tressel is interested, he freaking hired Bo Pelini at YSU, you really think he'd want the job?
No way.

it'sHuskers4me

New Era Huskers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a couple of Oregon St fans on my facebook page. When I posted about the hire...they laughed at me

:pout:

I think a quiet coaching search has started or will be started; however, Riley will have another year unless a big time wants to come here. (My thoughts are based on if Nebraska actually wants a big name hire).
I say no because the football flagship of the Athletics Dept. already is looking stupid paying for two coaches, one that the AD doesn't care for and another the fans don't care for.

it'sHuskers4me

New Era Huskers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, he's been poking Husker fans for a long time. It's a good way to get paid, if you get paid by the page view.
Still, Nebraska made national news yesterday with that stupid attempt by Fvchorst to save his job. Is the coaching hot seat another one of those pages that constantly poke jabs at us? I really don't know, that's why I am asking.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still, Nebraska made national news yesterday with that stupid attempt by Fvchorst to save his job. Is the coaching hot seat another one of those pages that constantly poke jabs at us? I really don't know, that's why I am asking.
The fan reaction is what puts him on the hotseat, not the record. Most across the country would think it was asinine to fire a coach after 1 year.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These ridiculous posts appear to be "stupid attempts"
If you want to have any credibility at all you have to get off the witch hunt and start discussing legitimate issues this team and staff have.

blkflagmafia

BANG BANG BLACK FLAG GBR!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fan reaction is what puts him on the hotseat, not the record. Most across the country would think it was asinine to fire a coach after 1 year.

People understand growing pains bad luck and injuries

They don't understand blowing the illlni nwestern n Wisconsin game

Or why we are slinging the ball like kliff Kingsbury is back at Texas tech

Fans ain't happy
But the staff isn't doing the best job either
Fans aren't crying about 6-3...

it'sHuskers4me

New Era Huskers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These ridiculous posts appear to be "stupid attempts"
If you want to have any credibility at all you have to get off the witch hunt and start discussing legitimate issues this team and staff have.
I have heard so many, and I can't be sure what to believe, only they all seem to underachieve.

bigred472

theoldestidiotonthisboard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Nebraska gets beat by both MSU and Iowa by double digits and also loses to Rutgers, then west coast Riley should get an ultimatum of having to get replacements of some of his assistant coaches or be booted back to the west coast. If by some miracle of EPIC proportions, Nebraska wins their remaining games and wins a bowl game, no ultimatum should be made and west coast Riley should be retained. Also, next year there needs to be an improvement in the won loss column, but admittedly the schedule does look tougher than this year's schedule, so I wouldn't expect better than a 3 loss season, the losses being Oregon, OSU, Wisconsin.
-------
I don't think giving a first year coach an ultimatum serves any good purpose. If Riley needs to do anything it's to pull the scholarships of those he doesn't feel are buying into the system and get them off the team. It's apparent that the free-wheeling I don't give a shit about penalties is a carryover from the last coach as well.

And while I think this has already been addressed, the number of injuries this year is staggering...I'm not so sure anyone could have done better under the circumstances.

Finally, and this is not addressed to any specific person but our days or three yards and a cloud of dust are over. THAT was apparent in Solich's last years. Successful running teams of the past like USC & 'Bama now also have QBs that annually pass 3000-4000 yards. I don't care what "type" of offense we use but we need a QB that does pass to keep defenses honest so our running game will work.

We should be so lucky to win our remaining games..So, to say that our record doesn't embarrass me as well is an understatement. But more than anything, I feel (cannot prove it for absolute fact) that we have a bunch of whiney kids that are still longing for the last coach rather than growing up and learning how to play a different style of football.

GBR

jedburks

The Bad Guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That article was procured by one of the biggest Husker trolls of all time, Jesse Scott.
BINGO!!! This loser JP Scott from "Troll It All Football" or "Know Nothing Football" is desperate for the attention and the hits on his pathetic site so he figures a way to trash Nebraska every chance he gets because he knows Nebraska fans will jump all over it. I have had numerous convos with him and he is a complete idiot.

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
-------
I don't think giving a first year coach an ultimatum serves any good purpose. If Riley needs to do anything it's to pull the scholarships of those he doesn't feel are buying into the system and get them off the team. It's apparent that the free-wheeling I don't give a shit about penalties is a carryover from the last coach as well.

And while I think this has already been addressed, the number of injuries this year is staggering...I'm not so sure anyone could have done better under the circumstances.

Finally, and this is not addressed to any specific person but our days or three yards and a cloud of dust are over. THAT was apparent in Solich's last years. Successful running teams of the past like USC & 'Bama now also have QBs that annually pass 3000-4000 yards. I don't care what "type" of offense we use but we need a QB that does pass to keep defenses honest so our running game will work.

We should be so lucky to win our remaining games..So, to say that our record doesn't embarrass me as well is an understatement. But more than anything, I feel (cannot prove it for absolute fact) that we have a bunch of whiney kids that are still longing for the last coach rather than growing up and learning how to play a different style of football.

GBR

Despite the injuries,"in game" decisions certainly would have been better by quite a few other coaches in the BYU, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Purdue games. I understand that ALL coaches make mistakes, but GOOD coaches don't make the sheer number of boneheaded mistakes that Riley and his staff has made that directly led to losses.

bigred472

theoldestidiotonthisboard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Despite the injuries,"in game" decisions certainly would have been better by quite a few other coaches in the BYU, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Purdue games. I understand that ALL coaches make mistakes, but GOOD coaches don't make the sheer number of boneheaded mistakes that Riley and his staff has made that directly led to losses.
-------
I don't argue your point but collectively we have been bitching about the "losses" since Dr. Tom retired.

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
-------
I don't argue your point but collectively we have been bitching about the "losses" since Dr. Tom retired.

There's a difference between losses and gifts like the ones west coast Riley has gifted to opponents this year.