• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should Mike Riley keep his job after this season?

Should Mike Riley Have HIs Job After This Season?

• Total voters

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Post got long, sorry but this is what I feel.

My fear is that a large section of our "fan base" that feels they have to prove they are right will attack everything this staff and every kid who comes here does for the next two years thereby guaranteeing failure and that anyone worth their salt will not come here after.

I'm not happy at all about this season but what good is sabotaging this staff and kids every chance you get. If Riley succeeds we win, if he doesn't, then a new regime is going to have enough to fix without having to deal with the bad rep we create. DOn't you see that with all these social media terrorists we are just blowing up our own future?

Venting after a poor performance is one thing. I certainly have and am sure I will again, but this crap lately of searching out any and every opportunity to bash anything to do with this program will not only destroy the current regime it will absolutely ensure our program to be anemic for years to come.

What recruit who is already nervous about the unknown they are about to dive head first into going to say yeah, I'm the one to prove these guys wrong.
What coach, when it comes time to replace, is going to say, I want to be the one who proves these fans wrong.

It isn't going to happen. It will kill our program. Not Riley's program, not Eischorst or Pearlman's.

OUR PROGRAM!. I understand you guys who are doing this care and that is why you are so passionate but to turn over every rock and drag every stream to find what is wrong when what is wrong is so evident? What good does this do? As a Husker (and I do not question that) how can you be a part of this?

One thing I remember years ago from a Sooner fan in their dark years was that you have to look for the good. Everyone can see the bad but one player may excel while the rest make you want to bang your head against the wall. How much better is that one player in the midst of those who are so bad. Or one position coach may consistently field individual players that show the development he has made. How much better is that coach because he does it in the darkness of the teams failures.
Right now it appears all is falling apart and many of you predicted it. But is the satisfaction of having predicted it worth the destruction to our image these attacks are creating?

This is still our program and we need to nurture every good thing in it while all the while making it clear we are not accepting what is not right. There is a difference between that and just indiscriminately tearing apart every piece of this program.
In my old friends words, "If you let the depths of inadequacy of the program dictate your loyalty then you will rot from the inside out and end up killing the program you love. But if you look for the best while acknowledging the worst you will come out of the tunnel as the one who was true to his Alma mater while the others stab their heritage in the back.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Post got long, sorry but this is what I feel.

My fear is that a large section of our "fan base" that feels they have to prove they are right will attack everything this staff and every kid who comes here does for the next two years thereby guaranteeing failure and that anyone worth their salt will not come here after.

I'm not happy at all about this season but what good is sabotaging this staff and kids every chance you get. If Riley succeeds we win, if he doesn't, then a new regime is going to have enough to fix without having to deal with the bad rep we create. DOn't you see that with all these social media terrorists we are just blowing up our own future?

Venting after a poor performance is one thing. I certainly have and am sure I will again, but this crap lately of searching out any and every opportunity to bash anything to do with this program will not only destroy the current regime it will absolutely ensure our program to be anemic for years to come.

What recruit who is already nervous about the unknown they are about to dive head first into going to say yeah, I'm the one to prove these guys wrong.
What coach, when it comes time to replace, is going to say, I want to be the one who proves these fans wrong.

It isn't going to happen. It will kill our program. Not Riley's program, not Eischorst or Pearlman's.

OUR PROGRAM!. I understand you guys who are doing this care and that is why you are so passionate but to turn over every rock and drag every stream to find what is wrong when what is wrong is so evident? What good does this do? As a Husker (and I do not question that) how can you be a part of this?

One thing I remember years ago from a Sooner fan in their dark years was that you have to look for the good. Everyone can see the bad but one player may excel while the rest make you want to bang your head against the wall. How much better is that one player in the midst of those who are so bad. Or one position coach may consistently field individual players that show the development he has made. How much better is that coach because he does it in the darkness of the teams failures.
Right now it appears all is falling apart and many of you predicted it. But is the satisfaction of having predicted it worth the destruction to our image these attacks are creating?

This is still our program and we need to nurture every good thing in it while all the while making it clear we are not accepting what is not right. There is a difference between that and just indiscriminately tearing apart every piece of this program.
In my old friends words, "If you let the depths of inadequacy of the program dictate your loyalty then you will rot from the inside out and end up killing the program you love. But if you look for the best while acknowledging the worst you will come out of the tunnel as the one who was true to his Alma mater while the others stab their heritage in the back.
:clap: Perfectly stated.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're just in a bad place right now. That is all there is to it.

The only way to get out of it is to win games that open eyes. Like.........for instance...........this weekend.

Win games that open eyes, then over-achieve a little bit in recruiting because of it. Then repeat. Eventually, we'll catch up. But that's how it starts. Just keep over-achieving a little bit, until you're at a point where you can't over-achieve anymore.

We haven't over-achieved since the end of the 2009 season. It's time to over-achieve.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There won't just be a year here all of a sudden where it all clicks. It doesn't work that way.

You build little by little. It has to start somewhere though, and it hasn't started yet. We need a big win to kick-start this mother fucker.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're just in a bad place right now. That is all there is to it.

The only way to get out of it is to win games that open eyes. Like.........for instance...........this weekend.

Win games that open eyes, then over-achieve a little bit in recruiting because of it. Then repeat. Eventually, we'll catch up. But that's how it starts. Just keep over-achieving a little bit, until you're at a point where you can't over-achieve anymore.

We haven't over-achieved since the end of the 2009 season. It's time to over-achieve.
We are on the verge of overachieving in recruiting. We just need the right guys to say yes. I'm nervous that we won't get some of the guys we are in on, but these guys showed last year that they can close. Keeping fingers crossed.

Fumble_Rooskie

Big Red Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Count me as one who hated the hire but hoped I would be wrong.

Many of us were afraid a debacle like this would come after we heard who was hired, and it did. Not because we wanted it to, but because there were better choices out there than Riley, and I'm saying this from a winning/losing history point of view.

Now, that being said, I was really encouraged about some of the other guys he brought in that were not his OSU buddies, but I was still pessimistic because of how many of his OSU buddies he still brought with him - people who just didn't seem to be very good at their jobs. There was an overwhelming agreement that there was reason to be pessimistic about that. But we were hopeful this would work because of the huge difference in coaching experience compared to Bo's regime - something that was Bo's eventual downfall.

Then, Riley says he'll change his schemes to fit the existing players' strengths. Does anyone think that he actually did anything close to that? I don't. I feel like we've been lied to on that point.

So yes, you have a few that are rubbing it in right now about how they were right, but I don't blame them at all. I am glad Bo is gone. I thought this hire, if it was indeed intended to be the "anti-Bo", missed that mark. He's a nice guy, sure, but put loyalty to staff above putting a winning program together, just like Bo did. He's already failed in that regard, as well as lying to everyone about tailoring his schemes to the players strengths.

He may have coaching experience, but it doesn't seem like it's effective coaching experience. I might still be in a wait and see mode if I haven't seen how fucking awful the play calls during the games have been, but all of that together has convinced me he's not the right guy for this program.

I would love to be proven wrong, and no, I don't want him fired right now, so we'll just have to hope that something changes soon. We're otherwise back in the dark ages for a while to come.

it'sHuskers4me

New Era Huskers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two things, As far as Oklahoma goes coaches Gibbs through Blake were tough times down there and the stadium was filled way below capacity. After 2019, we should have money available for better coaching if the need arises, after all, the money being spent on two coaches now is top dollar for one "Proven Name" coach. Great point about the over-achieving. People don't expect it and it comes with victories and confidence. If the guys aren't pumped up for the game Saturday then a Doctor should go to the locker room and check for pulses. Even BLo's teams played extremely flat in the blowout losses. With recruiting, a guy that can come in and be a 65-70% passer can carry a team.

oops more than two things

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Many of us were afraid a debacle like this would come after we heard who was hired, and it did. Not because we wanted it to, but because there were better choices out there than Riley, and I'm saying this from a winning/losing history point of view.

Now, that being said, I was really encouraged about some of the other guys he brought in that were not his OSU buddies, but I was still pessimistic because of how many of his OSU buddies he still brought with him - people who just didn't seem to be very good at their jobs. There was an overwhelming agreement that there was reason to be pessimistic about that. But we were hopeful this would work because of the huge difference in coaching experience compared to Bo's regime - something that was Bo's eventual downfall.

Then, Riley says he'll change his schemes to fit the existing players' strengths. Does anyone think that he actually did anything close to that? I don't. I feel like we've been lied to on that point.

So yes, you have a few that are rubbing it in right now about how they were right, but I don't blame them at all. I am glad Bo is gone. I thought this hire, if it was indeed intended to be the "anti-Bo", missed that mark. He's a nice guy, sure, but put loyalty to staff above putting a winning program together, just like Bo did. He's already failed in that regard, as well as lying to everyone about tailoring his schemes to the players strengths.

He may have coaching experience, but it doesn't seem like it's effective coaching experience. I might still be in a wait and see mode if I haven't seen how fucking awful the play calls during the games have been, but all of that together has convinced me he's not the right guy for this program.

I would love to be proven wrong, and no, I don't want him fired right now, so we'll just have to hope that something changes soon. We're otherwise back in the dark ages for a while to come.

Maybe he isn't quite the nice guy some people think he is if he's purposely not tailoring his schemes to the players strengths?

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Even though so far I am right about this hire, I sure don't mean to be gloating about it. I truly wish in 2 or 3 years I can say I was wrong.

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We should have hired saban after solich

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I clicked "YES" and it sent me down this rabbit hole of staying off message boards and not calling in to radia stations and what not. The screen said to check back in 3-4 years. But I want it noooow.