• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Shero's Draft Analysis

mtm166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinda interesting. I guess I never really considered how few D-men Shero has successfully flipped for functional forwards. I just assumed it had been more than basically Morrow. I don't mind his strategy of drafting D-men, but the most troubling aspect of this approach is the the refusal of the current coaching staff to commit to transitioning them into NHL caliber blueliners...i.e. despres. It highlights the disconnect between management and coaching IMO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think most of the defensemen Shero has drafted could probably, should probably, and will probably contribute in a major positive way to some NHL team soon.

As mtm mentioned, the major failure seems to be getting the guys onto the NHL roster and into good roles. Every time Despres is in the lineup, for example, he seems to play really well. But he's rarely in the lineup unless there's a slew of injuries. Earlier this season, a lot of those young guys came up and played really well.

They're not incapable, they just don't get a shot.

And you see it with the forwards, too. Shero and Bylsma really favor the veterans in scoring line roles. Unfortunately, Bennet, the only guy who's really going to get a shot, keeps getting hurt.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of part and parcel to one of the critiques of Ray Shero drafting is that he keeps on picking undersized guys. The talent better be undeniable if you keeping on picking guys in the 5'9" to 5'11" range.