• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sherman Returns

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was listening to 710 a little bit this afternoon and they were all fantasizing about sherman getting blown up. I get the fan hate for him, but the media? nobody gets butt hurt like whiney little media bitches.

Warden

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sherman seems to have lost his way

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will boo the 9ers upon their entrance into the Clink.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will clap and cheer. I have respect for what Sherman has done for the organization

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do y'all understand what osmosis is? I boo the 49ers. It's embedded in my DNA. Sherman is a 49er therefore Sherman gets booed. End of story. But should he manage to get an INT against, say, the Rams or Cardinals, I'll afford him a moment of mild congratulations.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do y'all understand what osmosis is? I boo the 49ers. It's embedded in my DNA. Sherman is a 49er therefore Sherman gets booed. End of story. But should he manage to get an INT against, say, the Rams or Cardinals, I'll afford him a moment of mild congratulations.

I knew you would come through, this is plain and simple to me. You want a job and feed your family, I get it. You do that by signing up with the enemy, you are no longer a teammate or ally.....YOU ARE THE ENEMY. I hope Doug shakes you out of your shoes and Tyler smokes you on the go route, then when they do feel free to flip off your coaches and call them out in the post game about how you would have done things different to avoid the loss. Both you and Earl could have been legends in Seattle but unfortunately you couldn’t see past your own nose to realize how good you had it. How good? How about an organization that paid Kam his entire deal after not retiring intentionally even though EVERYONE knew he’s done. Then they make him a staple on the sideline paying even more for his expenses to continue being a part of the team because of the dedication they have to their legacy players. Everyone that wants to praise Sherman for what he did need to realize that it was his snowflake whiny ass attitude along with others that equally blew up the dynasty. He was a huge part in getting us one, but a huge part in not getting us a couple more.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I knew you would come through, this is plain and simple to me. You want a job and feed your family, I get it. You do that by signing up with the enemy, you are no longer a teammate or ally.....YOU ARE THE ENEMY. I hope Doug shakes you out of your shoes and Tyler smokes you on the go route, then when they do feel free to flip off your coaches and call them out in the post game about how you would have done things different to avoid the loss. Both you and Earl could have been legends in Seattle but unfortunately you couldn’t see past your own nose to realize how good you had it. How good? How about an organization that paid Kam his entire deal after not retiring intentionally even though EVERYONE knew he’s done. Then they make him a staple on the sideline paying even more for his expenses to continue being a part of the team because of the dedication they have to their legacy players. Everyone that wants to praise Sherman for what he did need to realize that it was his snowflake whiny ass attitude along with others that equally blew up the dynasty. He was a huge part in getting us one, but a huge part in not getting us a couple more.
And he earned about $50 million here and received another $25-30 million in endorsement contracts after cultivating a marketable image that he wouldn't have had without Pete Carroll's faith in him as well as Pete's tolerance of his obvious courting of the media and pursuit of individual identity separate from the team. Yeah, thanks for being an integral part of the LOB. But we also won't forget that he helped blow up the LOB prematurely.

Why can't these guys all be like Bobby Wagner.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You sir are a snowflake, enjoy your Mariners season tickets :thumb:

Nah. Just have a little class and respect. No matter what team he plays for. I do believe in Fuck the niners but to me the enemy plays in LA.

PS Jays fan that lives along way from Toronto. Try harder next time ok Junior.

BSUSeahawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What made Sherman great as a player is what made him obnoxious on the way out. We loved it when he was yelling in Brady's face, screaming about Crabtree, etc. I think deep down we ALL knew whenever the split came that it wasn't going to be pretty, knowing his personality.

The only real problem I have with Sherman was that some of his antics after SB 49 directly went against Carroll's "protect the team" mantra. It seemed like he never trusted the coaching staff after the SB 49 goal line call and made that pretty clear. For that reason, I have zero problem with the Seahawks cutting him without trying to retain him in any form. When you carry as much baggage as he did, you're even more expendable if your ability starts to slip.

As far as the question goes, since the opposing team just runs out all together, he'll get booed because he's with the 49er team. If this was baseball and he stepped into the batters box alone, I'd probably give him a cheer. There's a day down the line where he will draw a standing ovation and will be honored. This Sunday (with ugly 49er red on) is not that day.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What made Sherman great as a player is what made him obnoxious on the way out. We loved it when he was yelling in Brady's face, screaming about Crabtree, etc. I think deep down we ALL knew whenever the split came that it wasn't going to be pretty, knowing his personality.

The only real problem I have with Sherman was that some of his antics after SB 49 directly went against Carroll's "protect the team" mantra. It seemed like he never trusted the coaching staff after the SB 49 goal line call and made that pretty clear. For that reason, I have zero problem with the Seahawks cutting him without trying to retain him in any form. When you carry as much baggage as he did, you're even more expendable if your ability starts to slip.

As far as the question goes, since the opposing team just runs out all together, he'll get booed because he's with the 49er team. If this was baseball and he stepped into the batters box alone, I'd probably give him a cheer. There's a day down the line where he will draw a standing ovation and will be honored. This Sunday (with ugly 49er red on) is not that day.

I totally spaced that they come out together - so there really is no reason to cheer him, since it's counterproductive to cheer for the entire 9ers team. I'm also glad we aren't in the NBA where tribute videos to departed players are shown - that's just too much. I just thought if there was an opportunity for the fans to show appreciation pre-game, then that's allright - but otherwise, he plays for another team.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think describing Sherm as just being "unhappy" on his way out is an awfully lenient, sympathetic way to look at it. It glosses over most of the behavior that is the reason why some fans would want to boo or at least not cheer right now.

He trashed the organization on the way out. He mocked PC's style and said the organization (which could be an indirect or veiled jab at JS) had "lost its way." It was uncalled for, unprofessional, and made him look bitter and immature. Ungrateful too, since PC's style is a big reason why Richard Sherman was able to become Sherm, and of course JS is the one largely responsible for bringing him to Seattle.

In the earlier years of his time here, I wasn't necessarily a huge fan of his barbs, but I didn't care a whole lot because they were all aimed at external actors. Somewhere after the SB49 loss, that started to change. He began to put members of the team/organization in his crosshairs. When you're a member of a team, the #1 rule is to protect the team. He went against that when he started publicly challenging playcalling, yelling at his teammates/coaches on the sideline, etc. He also lashed out at Jim Moore, threatened to ruin his career (all caught on video/audio), and then later lied about saying it.

He did do a lot of good here and was a big reason why every hard core NFL fan knows what "LOB" means, and of course he had a big hand in winning SB48 (pun intended). And for all those great things he did, he got the accolades and credit for doing them. I think he deserves to get credit for the way he left as well. He is my 2nd favorite player from the SB era Hawks teams, but I'm totally unsupportive for his behavior on the way out.

The most ironic thing about this whole deal is that while he was openly critical of Pete and the organization about "losing its way", I'm guessing he was pretty sure the team was on the verge of a sharp decline.....he goes off to SF who has 2 wins through week 11, and the Hawks are sitting here in the midst of a playoff run with a largely new cadre of defensive youngsters who are bought in and having fun playing with each other to build the next sustained run of success. Sorta seems like Sherm was the one who lost his way here, not the Hawks.

I'll cheer him again one day. I'll even be happy if he comes back to the organization somehow as either a player for a last hurrah or a "hangaround" like Trufant, Babineaux, Kam, etc. But for now, I think he deserves some grief or at the least a dose of indifference for trashing the place on the way out.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of you guys make very solid points their same attitude that won them games is what got them booted out of Seattle. If Earl and Sherman had bobby wagner attitudes they would still be on this team, you can argue that LBs are more replaceable than an all pro safety or corner which is why I think bobby is humble and I really really really believe if the success of our run game and offense would have came 2 seasons earlier we would all still be together without the barking and complaining because we would have been a super bowl candidate. It is interesting the Jaguars whom have a loud mouth corner in Ramsey saw success last year and loved him but now they are talking about trading him because now he is a distraction because they aren't winning.

At the end of the day whether it is this weekend or when sherm and Thomas retires they along with the rest of the LOB should be honored here in Seattle

BSUSeahawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think describing Sherm as just being "unhappy" on his way out is an awfully lenient, sympathetic way to look at it. It glosses over most of the behavior that is the reason why some fans would want to boo or at least not cheer right now.

He trashed the organization on the way out. He mocked PC's style and said the organization (which could be an indirect or veiled jab at JS) had "lost its way." It was uncalled for, unprofessional, and made him look bitter and immature. Ungrateful too, since PC's style is a big reason why Richard Sherman was able to become Sherm, and of course JS is the one largely responsible for bringing him to Seattle.

In the earlier years of his time here, I wasn't necessarily a huge fan of his barbs, but I didn't care a whole lot because they were all aimed at external actors. Somewhere after the SB49 loss, that started to change. He began to put members of the team/organization in his crosshairs. When you're a member of a team, the #1 rule is to protect the team. He went against that when he started publicly challenging playcalling, yelling at his teammates/coaches on the sideline, etc. He also lashed out at Jim Moore, threatened to ruin his career (all caught on video/audio), and then later lied about saying it.

He did do a lot of good here and was a big reason why every hard core NFL fan knows what "LOB" means, and of course he had a big hand in winning SB48 (pun intended). And for all those great things he did, he got the accolades and credit for doing them. I think he deserves to get credit for the way he left as well. He is my 2nd favorite player from the SB era Hawks teams, but I'm totally unsupportive for his behavior on the way out.

The most ironic thing about this whole deal is that while he was openly critical of Pete and the organization about "losing its way", I'm guessing he was pretty sure the team was on the verge of a sharp decline.....he goes off to SF who has 2 wins through week 11, and the Hawks are sitting here in the midst of a playoff run with a largely new cadre of defensive youngsters who are bought in and having fun playing with each other to build the next sustained run of success. Sorta seems like Sherm was the one who lost his way here, not the Hawks.

I'll cheer him again one day. I'll even be happy if he comes back to the organization somehow as either a player for a last hurrah or a "hangaround" like Trufant, Babineaux, Kam, etc. But for now, I think he deserves some grief or at the least a dose of indifference for trashing the place on the way out.

Well said - I agree with all of this. It's why I thought the Seahawks were completely justified to cut bait and not entertain any kind of revised contract.

To be honest, even though the defense is considerably worse, I'm so glad they made decision to part with Bennett and Sherman. Thomas is a little more tricky as he's still an elite talent, but he clearly didn't want to be here either.

More than any other coach, Carroll embraces his players' personality and allows them a ton of freedom. With Sherman, it always felt like his antics were harmless to the team, even if they were viewed as controversial. As you said, that started to change after the 2nd SB.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well said - I agree with all of this. It's why I thought the Seahawks were completely justified to cut bait and not entertain any kind of revised contract.

And even ignoring all the emotion, you have a 30 y/o CB coming off a serious injury who was due a truckload of $. It's a textbook cap casualty sort of situation. Of course, Sherm's version of it is he got punished for getting injured -- this, from a guy who frequently referenced and acknowledged the business aspect of the league throughout his career.

To be honest, even though the defense is considerably worse, I'm so glad they made decision to part with Bennett and Sherman. Thomas is a little more tricky as he's still an elite talent, but he clearly didn't want to be here either.

Agreed. They had to do it in order to be good again sooner than if they had tried to make one more run with the old (and expensive) guard. We are playing ET anyway since he got hurt, but you're right -- his decisions and demeanor suggested he was ready to move on. I think the team was/is too.

More than any other coach, Carroll embraces his players' personality and allows them a ton of freedom. With Sherman, it always felt like his antics were harmless to the team, even if they were viewed as controversial. As you said, that started to change after the 2nd SB.
Yep, absolutely. Pete lets his players be who they are at times to a potential fault (there is risk in doing it his way but also a chance for big reward), and it has a shelf life for certain types of players. Maybe not guys like Bobby Wagner or Russell Wilson or Tyler Lockett, but it looks like it only works so long for personalities like Sherman, Bennett, and maybe Baldwin.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of you guys make very solid points their same attitude that won them games is what got them booted out of Seattle. If Earl and Sherman had bobby wagner attitudes they would still be on this team, you can argue that LBs are more replaceable than an all pro safety or corner which is why I think bobby is humble and I really really really believe if the success of our run game and offense would have came 2 seasons earlier we would all still be together without the barking and complaining because we would have been a super bowl candidate. It is interesting the Jaguars whom have a loud mouth corner in Ramsey saw success last year and loved him but now they are talking about trading him because now he is a distraction because they aren't winning.

At the end of the day whether it is this weekend or when sherm and Thomas retires they along with the rest of the LOB should be honored here in Seattle

If and when Wagner loses a step, or becomes too expensive, or some combination of the two - he could EASILY be treated exactly the same way. Teams don't pay guys for being good behavior. They pay them for contributing to winning.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something that has nothing to do with what you wrote after?
You have no imagination, a very necessary trait for a Seattle sports fan.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If and when Wagner loses a step, or becomes too expensive, or some combination of the two - he could EASILY be treated exactly the same way. Teams don't pay guys for being good behavior. They pay them for contributing to winning.
Totally. And if/when that day comes for Bobby (after all, the team cutting you isn't the only way you leave town), I would wager with confidence he'll handle it a bit more admirably than Sherman did.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree, but also disagree. Guys like Bobby tend to get more leeway in the way these things go down. Teams tend to let them get further into their decline - because they tend to be great mentors and don't hurt the team with distractions. That's no guarantee that the hawks won't part ways with him in the future - but even Belichek will keep players well past their prime if he thinks having them around will help the team in some way.

Will that happen with Bobby, I don't know - but I think he has a much better chance to be kept than Sherman ever did.