• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sherman Returns

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cheer? Boo? Neither?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still love Sherm. One of greatest players and instrumental to getting us a Super Bowl victory.

He didn't handle his departure very well but I'm not sure the Seahawks did either. Seems like they were looking for a reason to get rid of him. Such is life.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still love Sherm. One of greatest players and instrumental to getting us a Super Bowl victory.

He didn't handle his departure very well but I'm not sure the Seahawks did either. Seems like they were looking for a reason to get rid of him. Such is life.
I have serious issues with how he left town. He trashed most of the people who invested in him when he came into the league and while he was here. He was 30, making $15M a year (or whatever it was) and coming off a serious injury, yet acted like it was the blindside of the century when he was cut. He took a business decision personally for no good reason. Time heals, but while he's being pouty and ungrateful about it all, it'll be awfully hard for me to cheer.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have serious issues with how he left town. He trashed most of the people who invested in him when he came into the league and while he was here. He was 30, making $15M a year (or whatever it was) and coming off a serious injury, yet acted like it was the blindside of the century when he was cut. He took a business decision personally for no good reason. Time heals, but while he's being pouty and ungrateful about it all, it'll be awfully hard for me to cheer.

I get that. IIRC, he also was upset that the team made absolutely no effort to talk to him prior to cutting him and he was upset that they didn't try to restructure his deal so that he could stay.

Everything I've read about him suggests he really loved being in Seattle.

He did handle it poorly. No question.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like all the Pro's nowadays throw a fit when they don't get exactly what they want for new contracts. So I'm not going to eat Sherman's lunch for doing the same thing. He was great when he played for Seattle, he's potentially even a HOF CB depending on how he finishes his career out. And he was part of one of the greatest defenses of all time. Not many groups of players get a nickname that sticks and instantly identifies them with fans from all around the country. The Orange Crush, the Steel Curtain, The Purple People eaters, The Monsters of the Midway. The "Legion of Boom" is in that company and that group's name will endure forever in the NFL. So Sherman will always get cheers from me, unless he's making a big play against us of course. But his time with the Seahawks should earn him respect and good will from the 12's for a long time in my opinion. One day in the future he's going to be raising the 12th man flag before a game and that place is going to go crazy, as it should.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To boo Sherman would be classless, IMO. He has meant so much to this football team, and even if you felt that he handled being cut poorly - it doesn't undo what he has done for the Seahawks. I mean, it isn't like he hasn't said crap like this his entire career. Like it or not, we all know who Sherman is. I hope the crowd roars for him - shows him the appreciation he deserves for what he was - and that Russell makes him look bad in the game.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd certainly stand up and clap. Dunno about cheering.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To boo Sherman would be classless, IMO. He has meant so much to this football team, and even if you felt that he handled being cut poorly - it doesn't undo what he has done for the Seahawks. I mean, it isn't like he hasn't said crap like this his entire career. Like it or not, we all know who Sherman is. I hope the crowd roars for him - shows him the appreciation he deserves for what he was - and that Russell makes him look bad in the game.

How would booing for Sherman be classless exactly?

Forget all the history and backstory of his time in Seattle for a second, HE PLAYS FOR THE 49ERS! If I was in that stadium I would boo the hell out of him and that team. The rivalry the Hawks had with that team while Sherman was in Seattle created an everlasting impression of that team, and if anyone in that stadium chooses warm and fuzzies over the hatred for that team is in the wrong business. Ill be booing Pettis just the same.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How would booing for Sherman be classless exactly?

Forget all the history and backstory of his time in Seattle for a second, HE PLAYS FOR THE 49ERS! If I was in that stadium I would boo the hell out of him and that team. The rivalry the Hawks had with that team while Sherman was in Seattle created an everlasting impression of that team, and if anyone in that stadium chooses warm and fuzzies over the hatred for that team is in the wrong business. Ill be booing Pettis just the same.

Did you boo the Cougars band for honoring the Huskies band?

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is completely irrelevant and a horrible way to deflect the point.

Not really, just asking a probing question for some additional background. It is possible to gain additional information and insight for a complete discussion without actually be deflecting. But, since it's about talking at each other than with each other, then I guess I'll just move on with it.

"Warm fuzzies", as you so aptly put it, has nothing to do with it. It's respect and in Richard's case, appreciation for 7 years of service. Rivalry or not, and I don't see the 9ers as our rivals any more than any other divisional opponent, we're looking at one of the key pieces in a defense that won our only Super Bowl. Don't cheer - I really don't care (and won't be there one way or the other), but booing a player because he was unhappy he got cut by the team is just as petty as Sherman's reaction to being cut.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't necessarily boo him but I won't cheer for him either...He left a sour taste in my mouth every since his temper tantrum following the SB loss... I grew tired of him as a player...I vote, neither...

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really, just asking a probing question for some additional background. It is possible to gain additional information and insight for a complete discussion without actually be deflecting. But, since it's about talking at each other than with each other, then I guess I'll just move on with it.

"Warm fuzzies", as you so aptly put it, has nothing to do with it. It's respect and in Richard's case, appreciation for 7 years of service. Rivalry or not, and I don't see the 9ers as our rivals any more than any other divisional opponent, we're looking at one of the key pieces in a defense that won our only Super Bowl. Don't cheer - I really don't care (and won't be there one way or the other), but booing a player because he was unhappy he got cut by the team is just as petty as Sherman's reaction to being cut.

Again, not the reason why I would boo him or that team. I'm a huge Pettis fan for what he did as a Husky, I will now boo him. One day Sherm will raise the 12th Man flag and more than likely get in the ring of honor where I will cheer him, but for now he is the enemy on a team that no matter the record stands in the Hawks way of the playoffs this week.

I guess you could say I have a similar outlook as Baker Mayfield. You did your thing for us and ate a turkey leg on Thanksgiving mid field in SF just to rub it in to that organization then went and played for them. You're now the sports enemy so you get booed ;-)

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't boo him or anyone that helped seattle win their first and only super bowl but the way he departed Seattle was awful it was clear that him along with a lot of the personalities on defense did not like JC and how the hawks did business. They all wanted more money and lengthy contracts and they pretty much said no.

I really did not like the way Sherman talked about Pete Carroll after he left or how Bennett said you need more than a bunch of Russell Wilson personalities to win. Also I personally believe if the hawks were in last place and the 49ers where in the playoff hunt Sherman would have a lot more to say but given his situation and the hawks situation he doesn't have much to talk on.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't boo him or anyone that helped seattle win their first and only super bowl but the way he departed Seattle was awful it was clear that him along with a lot of the personalities on defense did not like JC and how the hawks did business. They all wanted more money and lengthy contracts and they pretty much said no.

I really did not like the way Sherman talked about Pete Carroll after he left or how Bennett said you need more than a bunch of Russell Wilson personalities to win. Also I personally believe if the hawks were in last place and the 49ers where in the playoff hunt Sherman would have a lot more to say but given his situation and the hawks situation he doesn't have much to talk on.

I think that is a great point and likely spot on. Just the way Sherm is. I can only imagine how much venom and one-liners he would be launching this week in particular if we were the ones having the lousy season while he was down there looking at a playoff run.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, Sherman has always run his mouth, that's just who he is. I was usually defending him as a player, but even I didn't like the way he made that NFCCG against the 9ers all about him, and not the larger team victory.

Maybe I'm just more used to 'agitators,' having lived so long in Canada, and being used to that role being on most hockey teams.

You LOVE Sherman if he's on your team, you hate him if he's not.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What cheers or boos does this entire thing refer to? They don't introduce individual players on the opposing team. The only spotlight will be when a play is either made by him or against him, in which case the reaction should be in support of the Seahawks. Who's gonna cheer if he goes out and defends a pass or gets an interception?

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What cheers or boos does this entire thing refer to? They don't introduce individual players on the opposing team. The only spotlight will be when a play is either made by him or against him, in which case the reaction should be in support of the Seahawks. Who's gonna cheer if he goes out and defends a pass or gets an interception?
Just an overall sentiment of how "you" will feel when you see Sherm on the field on Sunday. I realize they don't introduce individual players on the other team.

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will always remember the good in regards to Sherman. Glad he's gone though.