• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Shawn Thornton Gets 15 Games

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bettman should extend it, just so less players make the "obligatory" appeal

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know...I always find it interesting when the NHLPA digs in on some of these cases, when the "victim" of the cases are also NHLPA members. I understand the concept of defending your clients, each has that right as a member, it's just funny that they so often do it at the "expense" of the injured party. Just funky to think about.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know...I always find it interesting when the NHLPA digs in on some of these cases, when the "victim" of the cases are also NHLPA members. I understand the concept of defending your clients, each has that right as a member, it's just funny that they so often do it at the "expense" of the injured party. Just funky to think about.

I'll bet if you asked the players though, maybe with the exception of Pens players (obviously, since they're so close to it), almost every one of them would support the NHLPA defending Thornton.

Anything short of the full-Bertuzzi at this point and the NHLPA is going to defend their player. For one thing, they probably have a legal obligation to support their members if the member decides to pursue the appeal. Aside from that though, abandoning one of their players for anything less would set a dangerous precedent in their eyes and severely weaken their negotiating position as we approach the next (unfortunately inevitable) lockout.

Jared

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no love for Thornton or the Bruins, but I don't think its necessarily fair to equate an appeal with lack of contrition. I have worked in a union environment on the union and management side, and I would expect that the union pushed very hard for an appeal here.

What you have is a "first time offender" who got hit with 15 games. Past practice has normally maxed out at 10 games. The union will fear that if this decision stands, 15 games will be the new norm, not 10. Thornton deserves what he got, IMO, but I wouldn't be surprised if this decision wasn't entirely his.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no love for Thornton or the Bruins, but I don't think its necessarily fair to equate an appeal with lack of contrition. I have worked in a union environment on the union and management side, and I would expect that the union pushed very hard for an appeal here.

What you have is a "first time offender" who got hit with 15 games. Past practice has normally maxed out at 10 games. The union will fear that if this decision stands, 15 games will be the new norm, not 10. Thornton deserves what he got, IMO, but I wouldn't be surprised if this decision wasn't entirely his.

good post. I have to think that the union should probably be included in the concussion lawsuit now. They seem to think that sucker punching after slew footing someone should not carry a harsh consequence and they are pretty much telling their union members dont worry we will try to get your sentence minimized after you assault someone when they are not looking.

Jared Im not attacking you I do think your post is good, it just made me think that the union is not without blame for all the concussions and violence in the game now

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If that is the case, seems like they should have some liability in the concussion suit.

EDIT: Or exactly what mattoa said.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
here is a serious question. does anyone know if Bertuzzi appealed his suspension when he suckered moore?

wings-pens2166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good post. I have to think that the union should probably be included in the concussion lawsuit now. They seem to think that sucker punching after slew footing someone should not carry a harsh consequence and they are pretty much telling their union members dont worry we will try to get your sentence minimized after you assault someone when they are not looking.

Jared Im not attacking you I do think your post is good, it just made me think that the union is not without blame for all the concussions and violence in the game now

would make for an interested defense by the league in the lawsuit....hey, everyone time we did try to curb concussion-causing hits, the NHLPA faught us tooth & nail and these players are/were all part of the NHLPA (at least I assume there were), so....

EDIT: beat to it by element

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup like people mentioned above, NHLPA can't support the concussion lawsuit and then support Shawn Thornton's actions when it resulted in a concussion - it would be hypocritical and it would give the PA a bad name

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Isn't it a bit different than other union actions, though, in that defending one member of the NHLPA in a case like this is necessarily at the expense of another?

And isn't it really in the union's best interest to side with the NHL on lengthy suspensions? Dirty, suspendable plays often result in injuries, many of them serious, some of them career-ending. In any case, it can hurt the player's performance and therefore contract situation going forward. Suspensions have an absolute end point, injuries do not.

If I were the union, I would be strongly reconsidering my position on this issue.

wings-pens2166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
would make for an interested defense by the league in the lawsuit....hey, everyone time we did try to curb concussion-causing hits, the NHLPA faught us tooth & nail and these players are/were all part of the NHLPA (at least I assume there were), so....

EDIT: beat to it by element

wow, that is some really good grammar/spelling....who is this idiot? :whistle:

wings-pens2166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't it a bit different than other union actions, though, in that defending one member of the NHLPA in a case like this is necessarily at the expense of another?

And isn't it really in the union's best interest to side with the NHL on lengthy suspensions? Dirty, suspendable plays often result in injuries, many of them serious, some of them career-ending. In any case, it can hurt the player's performance and therefore contract situation going forward. Suspensions have an absolute end point, injuries do not.

If I were the union, I would be strongly reconsidering my position on this issue.

I get what you're saying, but like Jared, I have worked in union environments on both sides. I've seen unions defend members in cases where it was union member vs union member (assualt, theft, etc). The union lawyer is not necessarily siding with one member over the other. The union lawyer's only concern is fighting any type of precedent set by management.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I really believe however that Kneel got off very light. Maybe if Marchand was injured they would have done something more appropriate. thats what drives me nuts about all suspensions on violent hits. the extreme only comes when injury is occured. it should purely be on intent