• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Shawn Thornton Gets 15 Games

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking 20-25 and sadly I was expecting it too. Oh well. Wrong again.

Blindsiding a player after a whistle with a slew foot and punching him to the ground must not be as serious as I thought. I'll learn.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When is Marchand's hearing for trying to take out Kneel's knee with a headbutt?

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
here is a serious question. does anyone know if Bertuzzi appealed his suspension when he suckered moore?

I don't believe so Matty.

His was a special case though, not just because of the severity of the incident, but also because of the timing.

He was suspended indefinitely, which equated to about 20 games I think, but then it was the end of the season and the CBA expired. So even if that particular CBA had an appeal clause it in (which, we know for sure would not have included the neutral arbitrator clause since that was new this year), with the pending expiration, it's hard to say if any appeal would have even been valid.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His was a special case though, not just because of the severity of the incident, but also because of the timing.

He was suspended indefinitely, which equated to about 20 games I think, but then it was the end of the season and the CBA expired. So even if that particular CBA had an appeal clause it in (which, we know for sure would not have included the neutral arbitrator clause since that was new this year), with the pending expiration, it's hard to say if any appeal would have even been valid.

You are very correct, the premeditated words made it so much worse. Bertuzzi actually got very lucky as well, if not for the lockout he may have gone another year. By all accounts Bertuzzi should have been banned for life (much like McSorley was "banned" for the Brashere assault)

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bertuzzi actually got very lucky as well, if not for the lockout he may have gone another year. By all accounts Bertuzzi should have been banned for life (much like McSorley was "banned" for the Brashere assault)

Agreed. He did sorta get another year though since the IIHF upheld his NHL ban during the lockout. Obviously didn't lose out on anything close to an NHL level salary though.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get what you're saying, but like Jared, I have worked in union environments on both sides. I've seen unions defend members in cases where it was union member vs union member (assualt, theft, etc). The union lawyer is not necessarily siding with one member over the other. The union lawyer's only concern is fighting any type of precedent set by management.

I understand that is their job to represent players, but that is a very strange position to take. Are they representing the players? Or just representing opposition to management in general?

wings-pens2166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that is their job to represent players, but that is a very strange position to take. Are they representing the players? Or just representing opposition to management in general?

from my experience (take that for what you will), it's pretty much this. they may not say it, but I believe the general thought is union members come and go, but any precedent set by management will remain, so they need to do whatever they can to mitigate that.

Jared

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You hit it exactly. It is opposition to management. The fear is that if management is allowed to impose a lengthier suspension than "normal", that this will become the new normal.

I don't think anyone is arguing that its right, and I am just guessing for sure, but that's how this stuff has always worked in my experience. It just doesn't seem that anyone involved really wants the game to change. They all say they do, but the actions of the players who say they want hits to the head out of the game, the NHL who says they are primarily concerned with safety, and the union who should be protecting (literally, from not being able to remember your address at 45 years old) their membership sure seem to say otherwise.

In terms of the Neal (Kneel, lol) suspension, I agree that it should have been longer. The fact that it wasn't a hit to the head and that Marchand is widely regarding as a POS (which shouldn't matter in this case) probably were a factor.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody see this from Yahoo's Puck Daddy?

Boston Bruins: Guess the thing Claude Julien is upset about: “[W]hat happened, that’s definitely not something we will accept in our organization.” Did you guess having an enforcer slewfoot and knock an unsuspecting player unconscious? Sorry, that's incorrect; when asked about that incident, Julien said, “The only thing I’m going to say is let’s not just look one way here. There’s a lot of blame to go all around.” The answer we were looking for is “Brad Marchand kissed a pretend Stanley Cup ring.” So remember, all you kids out there, you can concuss anyone you want with a cowardly sneak attack, but if you taunt an opponent you're going to get called to the principal's office. What a wonderful and not at all embarrassing organization.

Hes normally very Bruin friendly too.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:10:

should have been 20 not 15 and Kneels should have been 12 not 5

The perfect grade comes from the smooth and seamless incorporation of Kneel into this post.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These forums are pretty Bruins friendly too.

Canucks went through that a couple years ago as well. sometimes your team just gets that reputation whether deserved or not over a few bad actions by its players. its the way the sport goes

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marchand needs to stop taunting and start scoring...

BF4L

Bruins homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marchand needs to stop taunting and start scoring...

:agree:

His act is getting old when he is playing the way he is playing. in the SCF he registered 0 points in 6 games. This year has not been good for him either.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DarrenDreger: Pending union approval, Thornton's appeal hearing with Gary Bettman expected to take place by the end of the week.

dboy97

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DarrenDreger: Pending union approval, Thornton's appeal hearing with Gary Bettman expected to take place by the end of the week.

I heard it will be Friday morning.