• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SF backfield or AJ Green?

??

• Breida and McKinnon

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • AJ Green

Votes: 10 76.9%

• Total voters

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont see them paying for a back, they invested in mckinnon. Also arent gonna sign bell for the same reason
IDK, the 49ers have 65 million in cap space and McKinnon could be better used in a change of pace/ pass catching role. The 49ers can afford another RB easily.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
assume a dynasty setting, regardless of the rest of the roster, would you prefer McKinnon and Brieda, or AJ Green?
I'd go with Green because neither Brieda or McKinnon can stay healthy.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another thing is I think Green still has some gas in the tank. Until he got hurt he was producing well and the Bengals other WRs are mostly stretch the field types. Even if the 49ers don’t sign a big name expensive RB, they’ll be adding to their RB Corp and try to find someone that can stay healthy IMO. So you could end up with a full blown committee where you don’t know who’ll produce any given week. I’d rather take my chances with Green.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another thing is I think Green still has some gas in the tank. Until he got hurt he was producing well and the Bengals other WRs are mostly stretch the field types. Even if the 49ers don’t sign a big name expensive RB, they’ll be adding to their RB Corp and try to find someone that can stay healthy IMO. So you could end up with a full blown committee where you don’t know who’ll produce any given week. I’d rather take my chances with Green.
That's definitely true, dude was kicking ass before the toe injury

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK, the 49ers have 65 million in cap space and McKinnon could be better used in a change of pace/ pass catching role. The 49ers can afford another RB easily.
65 million, and in need of virtually everything but a RB and a QB. That'll disappear pretty quickly if they build up the D and O line like they need to. Might not even get em more than 2-3 big names and a few better than average fill ins. Bell would cut that in half.

And if for some reason they do it, Brieda would likely stay. He's cheaper, younger, and possibly a better fit in that role. McKinnon likely gets released, no way they can trade that contract.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys are probably right.
Teams just don't cut players because they owe them money before the next season starts, or because they're hurt and can't play much.

Bandit

RIP to the real Bandit
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, I'm more in the Tlance/SP camp on that area. I could see a depth type signing or drafting of a RB..but between those two, Wilson and Mostert, there's no reason to add a luxury like Bell, especially given what they're already on the hook for with McKinnon and Jimmy G. That kind of money could and should, be better invested elsewhere.
I think those rumors have no more legs under them than the Bell going to Denver whispers do.

See I think you could say that of all teams though. No team really should spend $15 million on a running back because history has shown that if you want to win Super Bowls, that's not where you spend your money. If you have a good offensive line and a decent passing game, you don't need a big money running back. New England is the poster child for this way of thinking. In fact, when was the last time a high-priced running back was on a Super Bowl winning team? Maybe Lynch when Seattle won, but I don't even know how highly paid he was. This seems like research @averagejoe or @HaroldSeattle should do. LOL. But here's my point - no matter where Bell signs, the team could have used the money more wisely elsewhere.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Green

He's only risking one roster spot.

McKinnon is a guy I own in Dynasty. He's also a guy I've cut in several leagues, multiple times, in Dynasty, the last couple years. Value is minimal to me.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See I think you could say that of all teams though. No team really should spend $15 million on a running back because history has shown that if you want to win Super Bowls, that's not where you spend your money. If you have a good offensive line and a decent passing game, you don't need a big money running back. New England is the poster child for this way of thinking. In fact, when was the last time a high-priced running back was on a Super Bowl winning team? Maybe Lynch when Seattle won, but I don't even know how highly paid he was. This seems like research @averagejoe or @HaroldSeattle should do. LOL. But here's my point - no matter where Bell signs, the team could have used the money more wisely elsewhere.
Wholeheartedly agreed there.
I just find it more likely an owner desperate for both a splash, and who happens to need a RB, makes that foolish mistake.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i agree, teams just generally do not invest that much of their finances in RB's especially when shanny turns anyone to gold, heck jeff wilson was serviceable........they have too many needs

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Green

He's only risking one roster spot.

McKinnon is a guy I own in Dynasty. He's also a guy I've cut in several leagues, multiple times, in Dynasty, the last couple years. Value is minimal to me.
do you own him in MBBRL? what would u want for him.......

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i agree, teams just generally do not invest that much of their finances in RB's especially when shanny turns anyone to gold, heck jeff wilson was serviceable........they have too many needs

If it simply $ spent on the RB corp, 49ers can find one on the cheap if they want. Last couple of years the RB corp has been a mash unit for the 49ers, common sense says they try to fix that with a sturdy type of RB. They can do on the cheap or they could spend some $ doing it ( because they have the cap space), but I would bet they take steps to fix the injury problem at that position.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it simply $ spent on the RB corp, 49ers can find one on the cheap if they want. Last couple of years the RB corp has been a mash unit for the 49ers, common sense says they try to fix that with a sturdy type of RB. They can do on the cheap or they could spend some $ doing it ( because they have the cap space), but I would bet they take steps to fix the injury problem at that position.
you are 100% correct. BUT how many teams think their players are truly injury prone? much less two of them at the same position. IF thats the case, they would cut their losses. I think wilson showed he can play a bit as a 3rd string insurance policy. they may bring someone in, but i dont think it will be anyone worth noting unless both mckinnon and breida both go down again.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see C.J. Anderson or Mike Davis or someone similar if they want cheap. I’d wager cash they bring in someone that cuts into touches by McKinnon/ Breida because it would be crazy not to, those two are not built to be workhorses.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see C.J. Anderson or Mike Davis or someone similar if they want cheap. I’d wager cash they bring in someone that cuts into touches by McKinnon/ Breida because it would be crazy not to, those two are not built to be workhorses.
ABDULLAH!!

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
some food for thought (unless I completely whiffed on my assessment of NFL contract details):

I think people are WAY overestimating the contract McKinnon signed last offseason.
11.7 of the 30 mil (only 18mil guaranteed) was already paid out last yr through signing bonus/contract, and it will only be a 6mil dead cap hit this yr if they cut him.

Seems like the perfect 'out clause' if they knew they'd be flush with cap space and that several decent RBs would be available in FA, or Shanahan can work the family magic on a 6th round pick in the draft.
either way, I view the SF RB situation as way too volatile in FEB '19 to take that gamble over a proven commodity that prob has a good 2-3 seasons left before he calls it quits in AJ Green.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not disputing the big money on RB vs super bowl history, but finding a Tom Brady is rare too. Those days of elite QB are dwindling. Teams will have to spend money other key positions to have a fighting chance IMO. If they can't be elite at QB they should be elite at another position.

Last edited:

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
some food for thought (unless I completely whiffed on my assessment of NFL contract details):

I think people are WAY overestimating the contract McKinnon signed last offseason.
11.7 of the 30 mil (only 18mil guaranteed) was already paid out last yr through signing bonus/contract, and it will only be a 6mil dead cap hit this yr if they cut him.

Seems like the perfect 'out clause' if they knew they'd be flush with cap space and that several decent RBs would be available in FA, or Shanahan can work the family magic on a 6th round pick in the draft.
either way, I view the SF RB situation as way too volatile in FEB '19 to take that gamble over a proven commodity that prob has a good 2-3 seasons left before he calls it quits in AJ Green.
Yep, that's why I added the if..its structured that they can release him with minimal cap impact, but they would have to cut him, or pay him, a trade ain't happening, cuz then that team would be in the same boat.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not disputing the big money on RB vs super bowl history, but finding a Tom Brady is rare too. Those days of elite QB are dwindling. Teams will have to spend money other key positions to have a fighting chance IMO. If they can't be elite at QB they should be elite at another position.
No doubts, for sure. Its just that what Bell is expecting or demanding, seems really excessive, even taking that into account