• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

September 2024 callups

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've probably said this often enough that you all are aware that this used to be one of my favorite parts of the season. I loved the fact that a team could have as many as 40 guys on the roster for the last month of the regular season. It was a time where top prospects could get their first cup of coffee and possibly showcase what they could do. It was also a time for some of the career minor leaguers to possibly get their only cup of coffee. Alas, no more.
Yes, I get that 40 can be unwieldy and most teams did have that many, but the new rule, now in effect for the past 4 seasons I believe, is worse. Only two guys? Come on. Give some more players a break.
Anyway, I thought I'd take some time to look over the Giants' possibilities for the two roster spots. Only one can be a pitcher so I assume the Giants will fill those spots with a reliever and a position player. But before looking at the guys in AAA, it would be good to rule out all the guys on the IL first.
Looking at the 10 day IL, only Patrick Bailey is on that list and is likely to get activated on August 29th. I really doubt the Giants will carry 3 catchers so this won't fill one of the two rosters spot. Goodbye, Andrew Knapp.
There are 3 pitchers on the 15 day IL, and two of them were added today (Ray and Hicks). The other, Randy Rodriguez, hasn't even been evaluated yet so he won't be ready September 1st. He may be done for this year.
Looking further out to the 60 day IL, we can already eliminate Lee, Flores and Winn. Their seasons are done. Murphy was a possibly but he hasn't even started rehab yet. I wonder if the Giants just shut him down for the year and keep Casali in that backup role.
Tristan Beck and Tyler Matzek are currently on rehab assignments at AAA. Matzek started his assignment on August 13th while Beck started his on August 8th. Both players can be on rehab assignments for 40 days. Neither have looked sharp yet so it wouldn't be surprising for the Giants to have them both go for the full 40 days before making a decision. I doubt either will be activated on September 1st.
My thought on the hitting side is recall Wade Meckler. Among hitters in Sacramento, he has the best slash line at .316/.350/.547 in 100 PAs. He started the year on the IL with Sacramento and then had an extended rehab time, playing at each of the ACL, San Jose, Eugene and Richmond before finally getting playing time in AAA.
However, I wouldn't be surprised if the Giants bring up Cavan Biggio instead, even if he has started his time in Sacramento by going 2 for 11.
On the pitching side, maybe Kolten Ingram will get another chance at the big club. I didn't understand why they claimed him from the Angels, but he has done well in 16 games in Sacramento (with so many pitchers in AAA, its hard to get in very many games), posting a 1.69 ERA and 1.118 WHIP. Most other guys who've performed better than him are either injured, on the big league club or out of the organization. Raymond Burgos is the only guy who has been better, posting a 1.57 ERA and 0.783 WHIP. Neither are on the 40 man roster so a player would need to be moved to the 60 day IL or dfa a player first. The 4 pitchers in AAA (Black, McDonald, Small, Teng) have all been hit much harder than these two and I don't know if the Giants would bring any of them up.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thinking about the callups in less than 2 days, in light of Estrada's demotion, I would guess either Marco Luciano or Casey Schmitt get recalled on Sunday. Luciano has the bigger name but Schmitt is hitting much better in AAA. Trenton Brooks is currently the best hitter with the RiverCats but I doubt the Giants go back to him. Not as much of a need at the positions he plays. Wade Meckler is fading a bit too. Maybe Donovan Walton is the dark horse candidate to talk about here. The Giants have kept him around for so long, and he is finally hitting well in AAA. I do wonder if they decide to throw him in the 2nd base mix.

On the pitching side, Matzek is definitely out. I believe that Tristan Beck has options so I wouldn't be surprised if he is activated from the 60 day and optioned. The Giants don't even have to think about the possibility until September 18th. Unfortunately, Raymond Burgos is on the IL with the RiverCats and I don't know if he will be able to make it back this season. I do wonder if the Giants will use two 40 man roster spots for Beck and whoever they call up on Sunday. I would guess it will be one of Kolton Ingram or Justin Garza if they go that route. Maybe they bring up Mason Black as a reward for strong pitching of late. But all the other 40 man guys in Sacramento - Trevor McDonald, Ethan Small and Kai-Wei Teng - have been really brutal in AAA.