• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Indulge me: 2010 = 2024?

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The edibles are kicking in and I'm feeling good after watching Snell...

But hear me out

The 2010 team had 3 top level starters (Timmeh, Cain, Sanchez), an emerging lefty stud (Bum of course), a very good bullpen with a nail biter closer, and a middling offense

Sound familiar?

Biggest difference is sadly that the 2010 team had a much better record at this point, had their big 3 the entire season, and a positive run differential. So I'm not high enough to think this team is like that, but there are parallels. Give us this team to start the year and we are a strong wild card with a rotation that can win a title, just like the not-favorite 2010 team.

I hope they find a way to keep Snell, why not? Finishing strong he may see what I'm typing here...he looks like he likes the Snoop life too.
Hey, if you want 10 decent starts a year from him, and 22 starts a year either compromised or unavailable, and the team is willing to pay $2.5 mill each for those starts, then why not? Unless, the money could be spent better elsewhere.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, if you want 10 decent starts a year from him, and 22 starts a year either compromised or unavailable, and the team is willing to pay $2.5 mill each for those starts, then why not? Unless, the money could be spent better elsewhere.
If they re-sign him he will have a full spring training instead of Boras fucking him (and us) over, see no reason why he can't pitch a full year next year.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of of those names, FZ's FO acquired the following:
Drafted players - Fitzgerald, Bailey, Harrison, Birdsong
Acquired in trades - Ray, Wade
Free agents signed - Snell, Taylor Rogers, Chapman

Ramos was drafted by Evans and Tyler Rogers by Sabean(!). Matos, Luciano and Doval were international amateur free agent signings by Evans.
Another aspect I failed to mention in my earlier post…

He has been at the helm for 6 years now. OF COURSE the bulk of the roster would be his. And if the cupboard were completely bare, of course he would have been fired by now. Not due to incompetence, but due to dereliction.

Good on him for seeing (or trusting his scouts) the player Bailey could be. The national announcers mentioned in tonight’s game that Bailey has the highest WAR of any catcher in the NL this year. That surprised my, but it didn’t SHOCK me.

Good on him for sticking with Ramos. We were calling for his jettison here going back a year or two. But none of us have seen him play. None of us did drills with him. None of us had any idea what his work ethic was. It wasn’t our job to know those things, so our conclusions were completely based on the image the team put forth about him.

Harrison is super young. Looking at him now, with zero projection factored in, he is probably a lower end #3. For a 5th rounder, that is great. But for the guy the org has been bragging about practically since he was drafted, that is a bit disappointing. But there IS projectability in him. And while none of thatis in the bank, it does look like that investment will mature… eventually.

Lee is also SUPER young. And hurt. But he looked OK in the 1/4 season he played. Not HOF door-kicking amazing, but OK. It cost the org a LOT to reel him in. The jury is still out on him.

I am actually VERY happy with the Chappy signing. I hate that he has an opt out, but that is FZs default filter when he looks up ****, so what are we going to to do? I was against bringing him in during the off season, but he is an absolute joy to watch. And that was my main complaint about the team of the last few years.

Yaz and Wade are both boring as all hell. They both have their moments, but at the end of the year, they both just stink of “place holders”. Every team needs “place holders”, I get that. And as far as “place holders” go, they are nice players. But they have been guys that we as fans have been pushed to cheer for; to brag about. If you are bragging about Lamont Wade Junior, you are in a sorry situation.

The bully is consistently good. Even when it isn’t stellar, you can still see that bones are solid. But that description of the Giants has been true since early in Sabes’ run. Props on FZ for not dismantling that organizational infrastructure, I guess.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they re-sign him he will have a full spring training instead of Boras fucking him (and us) over, see no reason why he can't pitch a full year next year.
Except that he hasn’t ever done that. Even last year, when he won the CY, that was almost entirely based on his 2nd half performance.

You can HOPE he puts up an entire season of quality performance, but his track record just doesn’t support that belief.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except that he hasn’t ever done that. Even last year, when he won the CY, that was almost entirely based on his 2nd half performance.

You can HOPE he puts up an entire season of quality performance, but his track record just doesn’t support that belief.
Yall crack me up. Dude's a freaking top level ace, literal reigning Cy...oh jeez should we risk it? If you don't see this to be a guy to grab, I just don't understand what you're watching

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yall crack me up. Dude's a freaking top level ace, literal reigning Cy...oh jeez should we risk it? If you don't see this to be a guy to grab, I just don't understand what you're watching
32 years old man. I don’t care how “in the zone” he is now, anything past 3 years will include dead years. Maybe his first year or two will cover the contract, but just know that whatever you pay him, it is really only for 1 MAYBE 2 years at near elite or better, than you are just hoping for 1 MAYBE 2 years at nit stinking up the joint.

Pitchers lose it FAST. Just look at Cobb. He had his near perfecto last year, and that was the end (something I called at the time, which you laughed at me for). Pitchers RARELY age gracefully.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
32 years old man. I don’t care how “in the zone” he is now, anything past 3 years will include dead years. Maybe his first year or two will cover the contract, but just know that whatever you pay him, it is really only for 1 MAYBE 2 years at near elite or better, than you are just hoping for 1 MAYBE 2 years at nit stinking up the joint.

Pitchers lose it FAST. Just look at Cobb. He had his near perfecto last year, and that was the end (something I called at the time, which you laughed at me for). Pitchers RARELY age gracefully.
Just don't see how this team competes without taking some shots and this is the kind of established talent to take a shot with. Lean in to what got you titles

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just don't see how this team competes without taking some shots
THIS team doesn’t. It is just spit and bubblegum. Putting a nitrous tank in a Yugo isn’t going to make that Yugo into a great street racer. It’s just going to cost the owner of the car more money.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THIS team doesn’t. It is just spit and bubblegum. Putting a nitrous tank in a Yugo isn’t going to make that Yugo into a great street racer. It’s just going to cost the owner of the car more money.
I see more here but it's all good

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Snell a lot. Good pitcher and seems like a good teammate too. But I’d be hesitant to throw the brinks truck at him too. He doesn’t seem like he is in peak athletic form.

sf1giantfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

All good points. I’m changing my vote.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. Doesn't sound like a guy who won two CY awards...

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He has been at the helm for 6 years now. OF COURSE the bulk of the roster would be his. And if the cupboard were completely bare, of course he would have been fired by now. Not due to incompetence, but due to dereliction.

Good on him for seeing (or trusting his scouts) the player Bailey could be. The national announcers mentioned in tonight’s game that Bailey has the highest WAR of any catcher in the NL this year. That surprised my, but it didn’t SHOCK me.

Good on him for sticking with Ramos. We were calling for his jettison here going back a year or two. But none of us have seen him play. None of us did drills with him. None of us had any idea what his work ethic was. It wasn’t our job to know those things, so our conclusions were completely based on the image the team put forth about him.

Harrison is super young. Looking at him now, with zero projection factored in, he is probably a lower end #3. For a 5th rounder, that is great. But for the guy the org has been bragging about practically since he was drafted, that is a bit disappointing. But there IS projectability in him. And while none of thatis in the bank, it does look like that investment will mature… eventually.

Lee is also SUPER young. And hurt. But he looked OK in the 1/4 season he played. Not HOF door-kicking amazing, but OK. It cost the org a LOT to reel him in. The jury is still out on him.

I am actually VERY happy with the Chappy signing. I hate that he has an opt out, but that is FZs default filter when he looks up ****, so what are we going to to do? I was against bringing him in during the off season, but he is an absolute joy to watch. And that was my main complaint about the team of the last few years.

Yaz and Wade are both boring as all hell. They both have their moments, but at the end of the year, they both just stink of “place holders”. Every team needs “place holders”, I get that. And as far as “place holders” go, they are nice players. But they have been guys that we as fans have been pushed to cheer for; to brag about. If you are bragging about Lamont Wade Junior, you are in a sorry situation.

The bully is consistently good. Even when it isn’t stellar, you can still see that bones are solid. But that description of the Giants has been true since early in Sabes’ run. Props on FZ for not dismantling that organizational infrastructure, I guess.
Good post and I agree with almost all of it. Especially the trepidation of the Chapman signing. I thought he was a declining K machine with a great glove. He's more than that and I'm glad we have him. As far as LWJ, he was having an All Star season before he got hurt. I think he's a bit better than "place holder," I think he's a legit starting 1b.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good post and I agree with almost all of it. Especially the trepidation of the Chapman signing. I thought he was a declining K machine with a great glove. He's more than that and I'm glad we have him. As far as LWJ, he was having an All Star season before he got hurt. I think he's a bit better than "place holder," I think he's a legit starting 1b.
But he is ALWAYS hurt. A serious contending team does not start the season with LWJ as their 1B and consider that spot “filled”.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, not all of us were calling for Ramos to be jettisoned. Some were opining his lack of chances and hoped that he would be allowed to go elsewhere, just so he had a chance to make it. I still don't think FZ was sitting on him, being patient and waiting for him to mature. I think he knew the guy has talent and kept him around long enough for him to be too long in the tooth to get flak for letting him go. He just happened to need an outfielder this year when plan A outfield went to pot and Ramos seized it. FZ should only get a pat on the back for holding on to him and not immediately go to the waiver wire to fill in for Lee.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, he's good now and was good last year but have you seen his career? He goes from Ace level to 4th/5th starter. Maybe he has finally figured it out, how to maintain more ace level consistency from year to year but it seems way too early to determine that to be the case and, as cal mentioned, he is a bit old for a pitcher. With that said, I have to acknowledge that some pitchers do come into their prime in their early to mid 30s. By far that is the exception, though.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, not all of us were calling for Ramos to be jettisoned. Some were opining his lack of chances and hoped that he would be allowed to go elsewhere, just so he had a chance to make it. I still don't think FZ was sitting on him, being patient and waiting for him to mature. I think he knew the guy has talent and kept him around long enough for him to be too long in the tooth to get flak for letting him go. He just happened to need an outfielder this year when plan A outfield went to pot and Ramos seized it. FZ should only get a pat on the back for holding on to him and not immediately go to the waiver wire to fill in for Lee.
As with many of my theories, this makes complete sense, though with a LOT of speculation.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But he is ALWAYS hurt. A serious contending team does not start the season with LWJ as their 1B and consider that spot “filled”.

That's fair. He's not a model of availability, like BB9

:behindsofa:
cal, I may be very wrong on my read, but it does seem like you still operate from the 80s/90s model of excellent offensive 1st basemen exist throughout MLB and the Giants could easily do better than the injury prone, high OBP guys that they start there. If you look at some contending teams, 1st base is more of a black hole in the lineup or a place where guys just rotate through. Even if the player has problems staying healthy, if he can hit when he is healthy, he needs to be the starter.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As with many of my theories, this makes complete sense, though with a LOT of speculation.
Isn't that the nature of fandom, speculating? I think some fans, though, assume that their speculation is gospel truth. I will recognize that mine is an ignorant take, but fits with what I've inferred from previous moves and actions made by the FO. I know that I could well be wrong.