• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Draft

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1st-rder James Tibbs signs w/@SFGiants for $4,747,500 (slot 13 = $5,272,300).
They save $524.8k in slot pool money with this signing. Only Dakota Jordan (4th round) and Jakob Christian (5th round) remain unsigned among the Giants’ top-10 picks.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They save $524.8k in slot pool money with this signing. Only Dakota Jordan (4th round) and Jakob Christian (5th round) remain unsigned among the Giants’ top-10 picks.
Looks like they have about an extra 800k or so from signing everyone under slot. Add the 10% pool bonus (I don’t know their entire pool, but it looks like it was 6 or 7 mil) that means they have an additional 1.4M or so to sign these guys up. Unless they get a big discount with Christian, I don’t see that as being enough to lock up Jordan.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a bit surprised that Andy Polanco signed. I guess he'd rather take $150k now and get a chance at a professional instead of trying the college route in hopes that he could work up to a better draft position and get more money out of college but also risk getting injured and miss out altogether.

I'm also surprised the Giants signed the 18th round pick, Ryan Slater, to $125k. He is a senior so he had little leverage and the senior the round above him signed with the Giants at $50k (and the 15th round pick signed at $25k!).

A bit odd that the 20th round pick hasn't signed, he's also a senior, unless he is hoping for more money or just doesn't want to play professional baseball. I do wonder if teams draft players with absolutely no intention of actually signing, no matter the cost.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like they have about an extra 800k or so from signing everyone under slot. Add the 10% pool bonus (I don’t know their entire pool, but it looks like it was 6 or 7 mil) that means they have an additional 1.4M or so to sign these guys up. Unless they get a big discount with Christian, I don’t see that as being enough to lock up Jordan.
Considering Christian's college pedigree (or lack thereof, being a DII player for two years), I would guess he may sign for a bit underslot. Assume he signs for $400k, that leaves about $1M for Jordan. I would guess he'll pass that up and try again next year.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are certainly people who just chose not to play baseball. I would think if they were able to get 100k, they might as well, because how likely is it to get a 100k job right out of school, but maybe they have a passion for whatever profession they are going in to and just want to get started. That is fair.

how do the signing bonus for rounds 11-20 work, though? Are completely open for whatever? Theoretically, could we sign our 12th rounder for 13M?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering Christian's college pedigree (or lack thereof, being a DII player for two years), I would guess he may sign for a bit underslot. Assume he signs for $400k, that leaves about $1M for Jordan. I would guess he'll pass that up and try again next year.
The last pick in the 2nd round had a 2.3M slot amount. If it is true that he slipped due to signability issues, you have to assume it would take more than 2.3M to lock him in. With the extra pool money and his slot amount, the .giants can only pay him approx 2.1M (before Christian).

I just don’t see how the maffs work out.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are certainly people who just chose not to play baseball. I would think if they were able to get 100k, they might as well, because how likely is it to get a 100k job right out of school, but maybe they have a passion for whatever profession they are going in to and just want to get started. That is fair.

how do the signing bonus for rounds 11-20 work, though? Are completely open for whatever? Theoretically, could we sign our 12th rounder for 13M?
Rounds 11 to 20 are a bit murkier on bonuses. I assume a team could sign a player from those rounds for as much as they want. But if the Giants want to sign all of their players, they'll need the last year in the bottom half to sign for Tyler Rogers dollars and hope the other two like a combined 1.3M.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last pick in the 2nd round had a 2.3M slot amount. If it is true that he slipped due to signability issues, you have to assume it would take more than 2.3M to lock him in. With the extra pool money and his slot amount, the .giants can only pay him approx 2.1M (before Christian).

I just don’t see how the maffs work out.
It would seem only one of the two will become a Giant farmhand, but which one will it be? Probably Christian.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would seem only one of the two will become a Giant farmhand, but which one will it be? Probably Christian.
I think the only way to get Jordan is if Christian signs for well underslot so the Giants can offer even more to Jordan. No way can the Giants afford Jordan with that happening. If the .giants want Christian for him, I suspect he will sign.

The only variable, imho, is Jordan.