• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Draft

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jordan is a very athletic power hitter with questionable defense. He is fast, but has not shown good base running ability. He has a slightly above average arm for the OF. He is a sophomore, so signability may be an issue.
Oh wow. I was reading about him this morning. There was some talk about him being a late first rounder so the opinion of the author was that he'd go in the 2nd round. I guess the defense plus the signability issue pushed him fro 2nd round to 4th round territory.
So if he is signed, then FZ looks like a crafty tactician, but if does not sign, then FZ looks dump for wasting a pick after not having a pick for 2 rounds.
Personally, seems like a really risky move. I would think getting someone more of a sure fire signing would have been better. Remember, the Giants have the lowest budget for all 30 teams drafting so its not like they've banked up a bunch of money by having to skip drafting in 2 rounds.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh wow. I was reading about him this morning. There was some talk about him being a late first rounder so the opinion of the author was that he'd go in the 2nd round. I guess the defense plus the signability issue pushed him fro 2nd round to 4th round territory.
So if he is signed, then FZ looks like a crafty tactician, but if does not sign, then FZ looks dump for wasting a pick after not having a pick for 2 rounds.
Personally, seems like a really risky move. I would think getting someone more of a sure fire signing would have been better. Remember, the Giants have the lowest budget for all 30 teams drafting so its not like they've banked up a bunch of money by having to skip drafting in 2 rounds.
Those two things are related though...lower pool BECAUSE they lost two picks. Also, I'd be pretty surprised if FZ doesn't have a pretty good idea that the kid will sign.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those two things are related though...lower pool BECAUSE they lost two picks. Also, I'd be pretty surprised if FZ doesn't have a pretty good idea that the kid will sign.
Yes, my point was that they don't have extra laying around because they didn't (couldn't) draft in those two rounds. I think most of us would get that but wanted to clarify in case someone assumed, "hey we got 2nd and 3rd round money just lying around!"
Maybe FZ does have a pretty good idea but why would he drop so far if he was willing to sign? Does FZ have some information 29 other GMs/VPs didn't have?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far, the Giants have drafted:
3 pitchers
0 catchers
2 infielders
3 outfielders (And yes, I know that is hardly a marker for what positions that they will play as pros)

0 high schoolers
1 college sophomore
4 college juniors
3 college seniors

I assume that there will be some high schoolers towards the end of the draft but it is interesting that none were picked by the Giants in day one or two. Maybe that is mostly due to not having picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB.com write up on Hudson:
"One of the best prep athletes in the 2022 Draft, Jordan went unselected because he planned on playing baseball and football at Mississippi State. The three-star wide receiver recruit wound up giving up the gridiron and handled the rugged Southeastern Conference well, batting .336 and bashing 30 homers in two seasons. He has improved faster than scouts expected and could factor into the first round this July as a sophomore-eligible. Jordan may have more bat speed than anyone in the 2024 Draft, and his lightning-fast right-handed swing and strength produce huge exit velocities and at least plus power to all fields. He made strides with his pitch recognition and plate discipline as a freshman, inspiring confidence that his pop will translate at higher levels. He still needs to prove he can make consistent contact, because he swings through fastballs and chases breaking balls, weaknesses that contributed to a 29 percent strikeout rate this spring.While Jordan has at least plus speed and may have plus-plus straight-line quickness, he's still learning how to make the most of it. He's not aggressive on the bases and is shaky in the outfield, where he spent most of his freshman year in left. His arm has gotten a little stronger since high school and now grades as average."

Christian:
"Christian spent the first two years of his college career mashing at Division II Point Loma Nazarene University in San Diego, finishing second in the nation with 28 home runs in 2023. He showed it was no fluke by moving to nearby Division I San Diego and hitting 26 more homers and finishing with a 1.288 OPS. Christian earned West Coast Conference Player of the Year honors, helped by hitting .420 and slugging .970 in conference play and putting him firmly on the Day 2 Draft map. A massive presence with his 6-foot-5 frame from the right side of the plate, there's little question that Christian has plus strength and a ton of raw power to tap into. Questions start to come in regarding whether he'll hit enough to get to that power consistently in games at the next level. He absolutely punishes fastballs, but he has a bit of a grooved swing and some scouts worry about his pitch recognition as he struggled with spin. Even believers recognize it will likely be a power over hit profile. A strong and physical athlete, Christian worked hard on his outfield play, and there's confidence he'll be fine in right field, with enough arm for the outfield corner. He does have experience at first base to add some versatility to his resume, but teams considering taking him in the top 10 rounds will be looking past his lack of resume against good competition and believing he'll be able to use that power as a professional hitter."

And Hipwell:
"Santa Clara University's best player was outfielder Randy Winn, and he's also the last position player to be taken in the top five rounds from the school, a third-round selection back in 1995. When Hipwell jumped into the starting lineup during his sophomore year in 2023 and posted a 1.206 OPS, there was anticipation in Northern California that the Broncos could have another early-round bat on their hands. That excitement was tempered when Hipwell was suspended and missed the first chunk of the season, though he did return in mid-April to try and answer questions about his tools and makeup. At his best, Hipwell can do some serious damage from the left side of the plate, and he was back to showing off some impressive offensive qualities after his suspension. He has quality at-bats with a solid approach, drawing tons of walks and working counts so he can do more damage. He has an ability to drive the ball to all fields and has routinely registered high exit velocities. Where Hipwell plays defensively remains a question. He's played both infield corners at Santa Clara, and his strong arm would profile very well at the hot corner, where some thought he could play long term. He seemed slow-footed and stiff upon his return, with scouts wanting to see if he could return to form as he gets more reps. Assuming concerns about the suspension can be answered, there's a belief Hipwell can hit, perhaps with first base or left field as a future defensive home."

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like we've got a bunch of 1st base-leftfielders so far (with one guy possibly playing right field).

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe FZ got tired or bored of looking for light hitting middle infielders?
I Understand Ryan Reynolds GIF by Welcome to Wrexham