• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Second cup of Coffee Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
atzudwtshrmy.jpg

If you don't know who he is, he was the leader of the punk band Black Flag and has been on Spoken Word tours since the early 90s. If you have a chance, listen to him. He's a pretty sharp dude.

Saw him in concert a few times and been to his spoken word event. Both are great times!

BTW....I loved this show he did when H2 was still around:
10 Things You Don't Know About - Wikipedia

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMAG0267_1.jpg How is my day going? Here's how my day is going.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Donald Trump: "I'm president and you're not"

It's reassuring when the leader of the free world goes full Chevy Chase.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This here's my favourite:

The public transit tax credit, which allows the cost of transit passes to be deducted, is being eliminated effective July 1.

Hey, what better way to help the poor and the middle class and promoting public transit than by adding an extra $200 or so per year to the cost of a public transit pass and then not using that revenue to increase services?

I was hoping, at least in terms of the graph below that JTru would be more like Chretien than Mulroney and Harper. I guess not.

CMWtxLLUEAAHqOn.png

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was hoping, at least in terms of the graph below that JTru would be more like Chretien than Mulroney and Harper. I guess not.

CMWtxLLUEAAHqOn.png
They have no idea how to pay for anything they promised but acted on a lot of their (very expensive) promises.

If I had to take a guess, the GST is going to become an issue very soon. They really don't have any other crutch to lean on - raise corporate taxes while Trump's in office slashing everything and businesses are going to flee (they're already reneging on the Harper tax cut for small businesses that they promised to keep). They lowered middle class taxes so going back on that would mean sure electoral defeat in 2019. They haven't raised taxes on the wealthy yet, my guess is because someone with some economic sense realized that they're pretty decently taxed as it is and further taxation isn't going to have the effect on revenue that they sold the public on 2 years ago and, once again, will piss off business owners. What else is left?

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whether you like him or hate him, he certainly does have a way with words:

When I took office, millions of Americans were locked out of our health care system. So, just as leaders in both parties had tried to do since the days of Teddy Roosevelt, we took up the cause of health reform. It was a long battle, carried out in Congressional hearings and in the public square for more than a year. But ultimately, after a century of talk, decades of trying, and a year of bipartisan debate, our generation was the one that succeeded. We finally declared that in America, health care is not a privilege for a few, but a right for everybody.

The result was the Affordable Care Act, which I signed into law seven years ago today. Thanks to this law, more than twenty million Americans have gained the security and peace of mind of health insurance. Thanks to this law, more than ninety percent of Americans are insured – the highest rate in our history. Thanks to this law, the days when women could be charged more than men and Americans with pre-existing conditions could be denied coverage altogether are relics of the past. Seniors have bigger discounts on their prescription drugs. Young people can stay on their parents’ plans until they turn 26 years old. And Americans who already had insurance received an upgrade as well – from free preventive care, like mammograms and vaccines, to improvements in the quality of care in hospitals that has averted nearly 100,000 deaths so far.

All of that is thanks to the Affordable Care Act. And all the while, since the law passed, the pace of health care inflation has slowed dramatically. Prices are still rising, just as they have every year for decades – but under this law, they’ve been rising at the slowest rate in fifty years. Families who get coverage through their employer are paying, on average, thousands of dollars less per year than if costs kept rising as fast as they were before the law. And reality continues to discredit the false claim that this law is in a “death spiral,” because while it's true that some premiums have risen, the vast majority of Marketplace enrollees have experienced no average premium hike at all. And so long as the law is properly administered, this market will remain stable. Likewise, this law is no “job-killer,” because America’s businesses went on a record-breaking streak of job growth in the seven years since I signed it.

So the reality is clear: America is stronger because of the Affordable Care Act. There will always be work to do to reduce costs, stabilize markets, improve quality, and help the millions of Americans who remain uninsured in states that have so far refused to expand Medicaid. I’ve always said we should build on this law, just as Americans of both parties worked to improve Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid over the years. So if Republicans are serious about lowering costs while expanding coverage to those who need it, and if they’re prepared to work with Democrats and objective evaluators in finding solutions that accomplish those goals – that’s something we all should welcome.

But we should start from the baseline that any changes will make our health care system better, not worse for hardworking Americans. That should always be our priority.

The Affordable Care Act is law only because millions of Americans mobilized, and organized, and decided that this fight was about more than health care – it was about the character of our country. It was about whether the wealthiest nation on Earth would make sure that neither illness nor twist of fate would rob us of everything we’ve worked so hard to build. It was about whether we look out for one another, as neighbors, and fellow citizens, who care about each other’s success. This fight is still about all that today. And Americans who love their country still have the power to change it.

Read Barack Obama's Statement on the Anniversary of Obamacare

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
file it under life moves fast i guess :noidea:

90 minutes later

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This impeachment process is going to be fabulous, just terrific. Its going to get so much better ratings than any previous impeachment hearings.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
0hgrvoxmx4ny.jpg

Think there is probably something similar in Scotland except it ends with "So get fucked, ya plonkers"

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's like an old Greg Kihn song - Repeal in jeopardy, baby, ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the Freedom Caucus, folks - A bunch of old, white guys hammering out healthcare.

Status
Not open for further replies.