• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seattle Mariners 2022-2023 Offseason Thread

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle fans ..don't have..the luxury..to think..
Like east coasters ...mets or Yankees...

ESPN ..or any of the other ..networks....who always scream....buy..the money....buy the money...

No..we need metrics.,..,...to rule,.

And a strong farm...cuz the mariners can't just.
Sign anyone they want.......like some teams can...

Which automatically .puts the mariners behind the ...8 ball.,

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But cuz he cost a draft pick..and mariners have
Kelenic
Maybe just..

Binantendi...,17 mil...and 3 or 4 years..a 300 hitter
Torres ..trade..2 year..

Conforto....test case...for a year..20mil..

Know...if..they want..to do..it big...
Go get rodon...LHp...

Yeah cuz they nearly made it last year..
With a few more guys...they should..

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bogaerts has become my first choice as well. McNeil in a trade second choice and Torres trade third.

I really, really, really believe that signing players isn't going to happen. I keep reading from different writers that they are at $128M and the plan is to go to $142 ish. That means a RP for that money and they will spend whatever the savings Flexen, Marco, and/or Winker gets them. I think they will be under $150M which is sad. Should be up to $200M if the right players can be signed.
Bogaerts just makes way too much sense for me as he can play third, second or short. And thinking long-term, we will need a third baseman once Eugenio's contract is up and I don't think there's really anyone in the organization as a realistic fit.

Sadly I have to agree with you that they won't make any big moves in free agency. I'd be shocked if they gave out any $100m+ contracts after paying Ray, Castillo and Julio. Also Dipoto saying something along the lines that they'd be comfortable with the group they have right now doesn't inspire me.

I think it's complete horse shit if they're limited by payroll concerns.

I'm not implying they need to spend like the Yankees, but think of it like this:

The Mariners spent $162m in 2018. Adjusting for inflation that's $192m today. $192m should be the bare minimum of what they're willing to contribute to payroll. Maxing them out at $142m is ridiculous.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What you mean prospects aren't always the answer? LOL. If I had a dollar for every time I have preached that each offseason.
At this point the only use we have for pitching prospects is either to restock the bullpen or trade for guys who can hit. Things can change but our rotation is locked up for at least the next 4 years unless the Mariners trade Marco, and that just opens up a single spot in the rotation unless you're a fan of going to a six man rotation.

But yeah... We've definitely experienced that first hand. I remember back when Ackley was considered the safe pick, lol. All the beat writers I like say we shouldn't give up on Kelenic yet, but I'm over him.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think Jerry looks at DH, or really even the analytic guys really look at DH like us Seattle fans do because we had Edgar. It is more of a utility position rather than an actual legit starter. Which on paper is cool, but you have to have the offensive players the Astros, Blue Jays, Yankees or Dodgers have and no matter the kind of deals they make this off-season will get them to that type of talent. I want them to have 9 solidified starters and if they can ever acquire a 10th through the farm system or a trade then so be it.

Plus this roster as of today is ass backwards because we got 2 OF who should only be DH’s, 2 utility IF playing in the OF, the perfect DH playing 1B. Essentially they have a C, a SS (who should probably play 2B) a 3B and a CF (who should be a RF).
I'd probably classify myself in the analytic nerd category, but I think viewing the DH as a utility position is stupid. Especially when the results show that our offensive output from the DH position was so bad I can't even think of a word for it.

The value in the DH position is that you can put a player who can't field well, but can hit well at that slot.

Any time you're running a DH by committee approach, that just tells me there's a hole in the roster and that's at DH.

There are probably close to a half a dozen players - mostly aging vets who can still hit but can't field - who would be perfect fits at DH. The Mariners would be remiss if they didn't take advantage of that.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah mariners can always buy ( trade for one)a minors SS..or 2b....for know...
To make up the difference..

Tampa has a full.,minors system..full of guys,...,.

..mariners do not...

But the mariners still have a good minors,.system....pitching..seems the best...

But the hitters...seem..far...away....from MLB..
For .,
Know...

Last edited:

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is 100% legit. Their bench guys are stud hitter but don't have enough positions to play them on so odd man out is game is the DH. We leave it open so we can give a semi-rest to a guy hitting .200 with no power. I am leaning back into us having a legit DH instead of a day off DH.
I agree as well.

In our situation, using the DH as a "day off" position, is just telling me you built a lineup around 8 players and plan on having a utility player somewhere in the mix playing every game.

I do tend to take the stat nerd approach with things, but I do still believe you want to build a lineup that has 9 players you start every game with a bench that consists of potential replacements in case of injury and guys that can fill in to give someone a day off.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not implying they need to spend like the Yankees, but think of it like this:

The Mariners spent $162m in 2018. Adjusting for inflation that's $192m today. $192m should be the bare minimum of what they're willing to contribute to payroll. Maxing them out at $142m is ridiculous.
I say $200M is about right. But we all should know by now that bus igning Jrod to a huge deal they have satisfied most the fan base. Thatmove can save them money long run because they can use it to show the unknowledgeable that they are big spenders just like with the Cano deal. Nope.

I just looked it up. $200M would put them 9th in payroll. Currently there are 4 teams that have twice the payroll as the M's. That is unacceptable when you have needs.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Santana to Pitt. I posted it on the other thread as well.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bogaerts just makes way too much sense for me as he can play third, second or short. And thinking long-term, we will need a third baseman once Eugenio's contract is up and I don't think there's really anyone in the organization as a realistic fit.

Sadly I have to agree with you that they won't make any big moves in free agency. I'd be shocked if they gave out any $100m+ contracts after paying Ray, Castillo and Julio. Also Dipoto saying something along the lines that they'd be comfortable with the group they have right now doesn't inspire me.

Your last part is also weird, because Jerry has shown he can get creative with contracts. So why couldn’t he sign a mega contract to some free agent and stagger the years of the big money.

Which leads another question, since Julio’s contract is primarily incentive laden, do the Mariners have to make sure they don’t spend the $10 million a year or whatever it will be for luxury tax purpose.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which leads another question, since Julio’s contract is primarily incentive laden, do the Mariners have to make sure they don’t spend the $10 million a year or whatever it will be for luxury tax purpose.
They are so far away from the luxury tax that this isn't even an issue. I truly hope it becomes one, but its the M's so it won't.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd probably classify myself in the analytic nerd category, but I think viewing the DH as a utility position is stupid. Especially when the results show that our offensive output from the DH position was so bad I can't even think of a word for it.

The value in the DH position is that you can put a player who can't field well, but can hit well at that slot.

Any time you're running a DH by committee approach, that just tells me there's a hole in the roster and that's at DH.

There are probably close to a half a dozen players - mostly aging vets who can still hit but can't field - who would be perfect fits at DH. The Mariners would be remiss if they didn't take advantage of that.
Well ideally a DH would be an aging veteran because he can provide the veteran leadership needed, kind of like evidently Santana did except also produce.

Maybe I am just seeing the lead horse for the league (the Astros) and as @NWinAZ pointed out they got 10+ guys who can start. Right now the Mariners have Hernandez, Julio, Geno, France and Raleigh. A great staff is great and last year the Mariners went toe to toe with the Astros, so there isn’t any logical reason ownership shouldn’t open the checkbook….especially for Turner who IMO is literally perfect for the club with moving JP to 2B where his offensive production is better suited.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The real deal...is this...defence wins championships..in baseball...
Pitching...is defence..
At least 50 .. 60 pct..so whoever has
The best..pitchers...will win...

Astros have good pitchers...

And there..hitters...in some spots.
Are so...so ...altuve..is one of there.
Better ones..

Mariners..can beat the them..
With a full .line up...

Don't have to have a bunch...of high priced guys...
Although..turner..would be nice...for 2or 3 years.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think of who was out or not hitting well in the playoffs..
Santana ...although..he is better..than I thought

Winker...not available..

Fraizer was in a slump..all year..but started coming out of it..

That is DH.,and 2B.and LF.,.the mariners..Achilles...heal .,..

Even for lou Pinella.,.same same...

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah 2b..Boston red. Sox manager manager....joey cora..

RF .jay bone..
Cf Griffy.
LF..?????,rich ameral
DH Edgar martinez..
SS Alex Rodriguez..

Tino Martinez 1base.
3b Mike blowers..

Luis sojo

Last edited:

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are crazy...lol. He had a bad 2020, 2021, 2022. I just read the he is looking for a 1 year deal and the predicted price will be $20M+ for that. Seems like a ton for an older Kelenic. Mariners won't pay anything near that for a prayer player. And remember, hitters don't come to T_mobile and improve. They typically go the other way. :)

I must have had a turkey hangover and not feeling well earlier this morning. :what:

If any team shells out that kinda bank for him ... they had alot more turkey than I did.

I think I am just Jones'in so bad for add ons that puts us closer to being Astro slayers I am not researching my thoughts well. I knew he stunk it up last season, but wasn't aware his numbers were that anemic over a 3 year span.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forgot Dan Wilson....sorry Dan..

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well..conforto..has the..Scott borus for an agent.

But if there is doubt..sign to a production..contract...1year...is fair..

Having an injury..while not under contract..

Did not work in his favor...

Sign and can always trade at deadline...??

I would not...but....??

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not giving up..on kelenic...but..I like him off the bench..this year...
Left handed hitter...
Bench...

10 Murphy
11 Moore..
12 haggerty
13 kelenic....,an open door..to the minors..don't let..Marlow beat you out of it..or Trammell...

with delioach..coming next..

Compatition...must keep rolling...

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah ..everyone will know by the deadline..what is what..
And there is no more time..,
When the music stops....and there are..no..
Spots left...